Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

What should I do?

-Cancel.
14
56%
-Don't Cancel.
11
44%
 
Total votes: 25

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:18 pm

First of all, you should know I'm retaking a 169. Also, I'm a splitter - GPA is 3.22.

Here's what happened:

Games was my first section.

And I lost my shit.

Had a complete meltdown during Game 3. As a result, only had 3 minutes to do Game 4. Did not diagram had anything. Basically guessed on all 5 questions on Game 4.

So, games could go as well as -3 (if the guessing gods love me or as poorly as -8. Probably -6 is likely.

The other 4 sections went brilliantly. Thought they were pretty easy.

My target school is WUSTL. Will they care if I retake and get a lower score? In other words, will getting a lower score hurt me - so I should cancel? Or, on the side of luck that I only went -4 or so on LG, should I not cancel and then if I get a lower score who gives a flip because WUSTL won't care?

Advice is appreciated.

splitterfriendly
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby splitterfriendly » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Numbers-wise, you're in at WUSTL with the 169..

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby zozin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:58 pm

splitterfriendly wrote:Numbers-wise, you're in at WUSTL with the 169..

With $$$.

If you'd be 100% happy to go to WUSTL, I would cancel.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:32 pm

zozin wrote:
splitterfriendly wrote:Numbers-wise, you're in at WUSTL with the 169..

With $$$.

If you'd be 100% happy to go to WUSTL, I would cancel.


That's the kicker. I'd be okay with WUSTL but top choice is Northwestern. They're why I'm retaking.

Would a lower score look so bad my in at WUSTL would be gone?

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:34 pm

emkay625 wrote:
zozin wrote:
splitterfriendly wrote:Numbers-wise, you're in at WUSTL with the 169..

With $$$.

If you'd be 100% happy to go to WUSTL, I would cancel.


That's the kicker. I'd be okay with WUSTL but top choice is Northwestern. They're why I'm retaking.

Would a lower score look so bad my in at WUSTL would be gone?


We're quite similar in numbers/choices/shit-losing. No ideas, but I sympathize :(

Edit for inadvertent Julius Caesar reference.
Last edited by franklyscarlet on Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
equivocation
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby equivocation » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Wish I could give constructive advice, I don't understand what happened with LG, it doesn't even make me feel better that other people struggled with it - it just makes me more frustrated with the LSAT. I think the hardest thing is doing so well in preptests and having high expectations and then when something goes wrong its like I know I can do better so I should try again. I'm a splitter too, 3.3 GPA so maybe I put too much pressure on this test and crumbled under it. I would say if you know deep down you can do better cancel and re-take, but maybe I'm biased because that's what I'm doing, good luck making your decision

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby zozin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:59 pm

emkay625 wrote:That's the kicker. I'd be okay with WUSTL but top choice is Northwestern. They're why I'm retaking.

Would a lower score look so bad my in at WUSTL would be gone?


Then I'd keep the score. I doubt WUSTL will care, plus you have a one point cushion in case they want to raise their 75% LSAT.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:04 pm

I guess what I'm saying is this:

Right now, the highest ranked school I could get into is WUSTL.

Will WUSTL see a 169 and a TBD lower score and be like why the hell did this girl go down on her retake let's not let her in? Or will they just see the 169, so I should not cancel in case that TBD lower score turns out to be, miracle of miracles a 170 or above?

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby boblawlob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:53 pm

deleted
Last edited by boblawlob on Fri May 10, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:02 pm

boblawlob wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I guess what I'm saying is this:

Right now, the highest ranked school I could get into is WUSTL.

Will WUSTL see a 169 and a TBD lower score and be like why the hell did this girl go down on her retake let's not let her in? Or will they just see the 169, so I should not cancel in case that TBD lower score turns out to be, miracle of miracles a 170 or above?

addendum your TBD score?


I could, but I don't really have a reason. I found out my grandfather has cancer yesterday, which was really upsetting, but I don't think there's any connection between that and bombing my LG section. I bombed it because I got psyched out by the number of hypos in game 3 and ran out of time. Not because I was distracted.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby MTal » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Cancel. Forget law school and go work in retail.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:11 pm

That's not very nice.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby mattviphky » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:17 pm

i'm sure i'm telling you something you already know, but to be a splitter that gets into NW it looks like you need bout a 171+ If you did get like a -4, you would need a -6 on everything else....I don't have any advice i guess, just saying. Plus that wouldn't get you any money at nw, but a 169 gets you 75-86k (or it did last cycle) at WUSTL. I dont know how they would feel bout a retake, but im sure its not a big deal. not like you went 169 to 156 or something whack like that. i cant imagine a marginally lower score would matter, but idk.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby mattviphky » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:18 pm

MTal, i never thought to ask, where did you go to law school?

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

I am thinking about cancelling and retaking in December. Applying late would be a big disadvantage but I'm not sure what else to do.

Other thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:30 pm

emkay625 wrote:
zozin wrote:
splitterfriendly wrote:Numbers-wise, you're in at WUSTL with the 169..

With $$$.

If you'd be 100% happy to go to WUSTL, I would cancel.


That's the kicker. I'd be okay with WUSTL but top choice is Northwestern. They're why I'm retaking.


All I can say is that you should do all you can to go to NU, and not WUSTL. I would cancel and then retake. Read the Midwest T25 OCI thread. You do not want to be at WUSTL, unless maybe you're from St. Louis, want to work there after graduation, and you're going for almost free. Do all you can to get into a T14 at the very least.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:33 pm

emkay625 wrote:I am thinking about cancelling and retaking in December. Applying late would be a big disadvantage but I'm not sure what else to do.

Other thoughts or opinions are appreciated.


Applying late or even, hell, waiting another year to apply will not be as bad as rolling the dice on being in the top 20% at WUSTL.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:40 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
zozin wrote:
splitterfriendly wrote:Numbers-wise, you're in at WUSTL with the 169..

With $$$.

If you'd be 100% happy to go to WUSTL, I would cancel.


That's the kicker. I'd be okay with WUSTL but top choice is Northwestern. They're why I'm retaking.


All I can say is that you should do all you can to go to NU, and not WUSTL. I would cancel and then retake. Read the Midwest T25 OCI thread. You do not want to be at WUSTL, unless maybe you're from St. Louis, want to work there after graduation, and you're going for almost free. Do all you can to get into a T14 at the very least.


I agree with all of this. Here's my question:

Would a 169, 167, 171 look that much different to Northwestern than 169, cancel, 171?

I feel like today is 70/30 - 70 percent I got lower than 170, but 30 percent I broke it.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:46 pm

emkay625 wrote:I agree with all of this. Here's my question:

Would a 169, 167, 171 look that much different to Northwestern than 169, cancel, 171?

I feel like today is 70/30 - 70 percent I got lower than 170, but 30 percent I broke it.


In my few years on TLS, I don't think it's ever been definitively answered one way or the other. Way too many anecdotes and "common wisdom" floating around. The majority would probably say that it doesn't matter if the second score is lower—all the school will care about is the highest. I have my doubts as to this, but don't really have much to back up that doubt.

The advantage to canceling is a quick resolution to the problem and you can move forward with things (as you probably know, waiting for scores is just stressful and painful). Then again, maybe you did get really lucky, everybody had a really tough time on it, and you're sitting on a 175. It's a tough decision and I'm not sure anybody on here can tell you what's the best thing to do. I personally would cancel and make another go at it, but that's just me and I can't say not canceling is the wrong decision.

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby zozin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:47 pm

Helmholtz wrote:All I can say is that you should do all you can to go to NU, and not WUSTL. I would cancel and then retake. Read the Midwest T25 OCI thread. You do not want to be at WUSTL, unless maybe you're from St. Louis, want to work there after graduation, and you're going for almost free. Do all you can to get into a T14 at the very least.


FFFFFUUUUUUU HELM!!! :(

Here I was aiming for a 168 so I can get into WUSTL and be happy.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:52 pm

zozin wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:All I can say is that you should do all you can to go to NU, and not WUSTL. I would cancel and then retake. Read the Midwest T25 OCI thread. You do not want to be at WUSTL, unless maybe you're from St. Louis, want to work there after graduation, and you're going for almost free. Do all you can to get into a T14 at the very least.


FFFFFUUUUUUU HELM!!! :(

Here I was aiming for a 168 so I can get into WUSTL and be happy.


There is a chance you will get into WUSTL and be happy. There is a bigger chance that you get into WUSTL and get completely smoked come job-hunting time. Look, I hate being that guy, but I'm at a T10 and I see some really good, really smart people in between top quarter and top half who are completely coming up empty at OCI. The people at median are mostly hit and miss—I feel like a lot of it boils down to luck. It's terrifying and sad to see it happen to people you know and like, and it becomes a lot more personal than seeing statistics on a website and knowing that XX% of people won't get a good job. You realize that you could easily have been in that situation. I know some people at WUSTL and it sounds many times worse there. Just realize what you're getting into.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:54 pm

The thing that kills me is this happened last time. Maybe I am destined to NOT do well on this test. To hit 5 180's and 2 179's on PTs 51 - 63 and then to fuck it up like this is so frustrating I want to scream.

Le sigh. I feel like even if I cancel and retake, I'm out of chances (December, if I do it, would be try #3) and there's no guarantee this won't happen FOR A THIRD FREAKING TIME. So maybe I should cross my fingers and NOT cancel this time because at least there's a small chance this time?

User avatar
asunshinee
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:46 am

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby asunshinee » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:55 pm

emkay625 wrote:The thing that kills me is this happened last time. Maybe I am destined to NOT do well on this test. To hit 5 180's and 2 179's on PTs 51 - 63 and then to fuck it up like this is so frustrating I want to scream.

Le sigh. I feel like even if I cancel and retake, I'm out of chances (December, if I do it, would be try #3) and there's no guarantee this won't happen FOR A THIRD FREAKING TIME. So maybe I should cross my fingers and NOT cancel this time because at least there's a small chance this time?


Everyone's going to tell you to cancel. If you think there is a 30% chance you broke the 170's, I would say thats a chance worth taking.

Eco
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby Eco » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:53 pm

You should DEFINITELY cancel. You can retake in December and get into some great law schools.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Should I cancel? (I know, another one).

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:00 am

Here's my question then:

Is a 169, 167, 171 REALLY that much worse than a 169, cancel, 171?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ebmus11, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests