Hand scoring Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ThreeRivers

Silver

Hand scoring

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:46 pm

I had some questions about hand scoring, the search function answered some of these but there are others that I'm still curious about.

After looking at my scan tron WOW, during speed of test I just scribbled on a lot of them / there are a lot that aren't circled well and many that go outside of the circle.

Questions that were answered from other threads (if they were correct) include :you will get a PDF of your actual test / can tell if they scored it wrong / you can only do it after you get your score

My only remaining questions are:

How sensitive is the Scantron... You can tell what every single answer I meant, but some might have overlapped slightly into other bubbles and others weren't fully circled (but probably about 75), do you think I'll be ok?

How long does the hand scoring take (if I need one)? I was really planning to get all my apps in ASAP after I get the score do to rolling admission... will getting hand scoring hurt this strategy?

bp shinners

Gold

Re: Hand scoring

Post by bp shinners » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:50 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I had some questions about hand scoring, the search function answered some of these but there are others that I'm still curious about.

After looking at my scan tron WOW, during speed of test I just scribbled on a lot of them / there are a lot that aren't circled well and many that go outside of the circle.

Questions that were answered from other threads (if they were correct) include :you will get a PDF of your actual test / can tell if they scored it wrong / you can only do it after you get your score

How sensitive is the Scantron... You can tell what every single answer I meant, but some might have overlapped slightly into other bubbles and others weren't fully circled (but probably about 75), do you think I'll be ok?

How long does the hand scoring take (if I need one)? I was really planning to get all my apps in ASAP after I get the score do to rolling admission... will getting hand scoring hurt this strategy?
From what I've heard, the technology is pretty precise, so if you've made enough of a mark to clearly show your intended answer, I think you'll be good. I certainly wouldn't worry about it until you get your score report back. The hand scoring is generally for people who skipped a row of bubbles - you can clearly see that they answered the questions in the row after they meant, but the Scantron can't account for that.

In short, check your answer sheet against the scored answers, but I wouldn't worry too much.

As far as hand scoring timing, it will take some time, so it will delay your application. I've never had a student ask for one, though, so I can't speak to specifics.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:57 pm

bp shinners wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:I had some questions about hand scoring, the search function answered some of these but there are others that I'm still curious about.

From what I've heard, the technology is pretty precise, so if you've made enough of a mark to clearly show your intended answer, I think you'll be good. I certainly wouldn't worry about it until you get your score report back. The hand scoring is generally for people who skipped a row of bubbles - you can clearly see that they answered the questions in the row after they meant, but the Scantron can't account for that.

In short, check your answer sheet against the scored answers, but I wouldn't worry too much.

As far as hand scoring timing, it will take some time, so it will delay your application. I've never had a student ask for one, though, so I can't speak to specifics.
Thanks for the quick input. I'm most worried about the technology being too precise (as in reads some of my answers as double circled even though there is just slight marks in them). Any validity to this concern?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:01 pm

ThreeRivers wrote: Any validity to this concern?
Again, a bit. I would check to be sure. However, from what I've heard, the technology has developed to the point where if you don't bubble exactly right, it does a good job of figuring out your intention.

So, again, stop worrying :) It's done. Wait it out, check your score report, and go from there. But I think you'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”