OCT 2011 Experimental Section

hula_gurl
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby hula_gurl » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:14 pm

mike22222 wrote:and the hot spots question was at the beginning right?


Yes

User avatar
MrBain_
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby MrBain_ » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:15 pm

akhan4489 wrote:For those of you who aren't believing me, you all simply have not sat there and recorded everyone's responses as to what sections they got and in what order. Because once you do that, and once you apply my proposed theory/method/logic/whatever, you'll see that it proves true. And as for this kid who keeps claiming that the exp was section 4, and that he heard something from his gf and from his TestMasters instructor all I can say is: listen more carefully. I'm willing to bet your TM instructor said that something along the lines of: "The exp section can come up at any time and with any section, different students will have different sections." (Not different times...)

And yeah, I consulted with my gf too, last October and today, we both had exp section two last time and we both had it during section three today.

I had LG - LR - LG - RC - LR ... she had LG - LR - RC - RC - LR ...She also says that when she had RC, (I had LG during this time) that the kid next to her seems to have had LR...umm, anyone who's been around the LSAT for more than a 2.5-3 month long PrepCourse knows that the exp section was section 3 today. You could tell by just reading the section 3 games...I'm sure if I had section 3 LR I could tell too, from what I hear, 10 parallel questions in 1 LR section is a gift from LSAC saying, Go ahead, rest your brain for these next 35 minutes while everyone else works on lowering their score. That's the message I got from my 2nd LG (section 3)...


You can go ahead and stop posting this as truth. (my gf told me so and she's smarter than your gf) But seriously, i took it in June and the exp. was not the same section for everytest.

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby happyshapy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:15 pm

-
Last edited by happyshapy on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bstbll
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby Bstbll » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:21 pm

akhan4489 wrote:For those of you who aren't believing me, you all simply have not sat there and recorded everyone's responses as to what sections they got and in what order. Because once you do that, and once you apply my proposed theory/method/logic/whatever, you'll see that it proves true. And as for this kid who keeps claiming that the exp was section 4, and that he heard something from his gf and from his TestMasters instructor all I can say is: listen more carefully. I'm willing to bet your TM instructor said that something along the lines of: "The exp section can come up at any time and with any section, different students will have different sections." (Not different times...)

And yeah, I consulted with my gf too, last October and today, we both had exp section two last time and we both had it during section three today.

I had LG - LR - LG - RC - LR ... she had LG - LR - RC - RC - LR ...She also says that when she had RC, (I had LG during this time) that the kid next to her seems to have had LR...umm, anyone who's been around the LSAT for more than a 2.5-3 month long PrepCourse knows that the exp section was section 3 today. You could tell by just reading the section 3 games...I'm sure if I had section 3 LR I could tell too, from what I hear, 10 parallel questions in 1 LR section is a gift from LSAC saying, Go ahead, rest your brain for these next 35 minutes while everyone else works on lowering their score. That's the message I got from my 2nd LG (section 3)...


You're addressing multiple people as "this kid." For instance, I'm the guy with the girlfriend, but multiple other people have corroborated with me, including the guy who apparently spoke with his instructor (I must have missed this one). At this point, it seems like the general consensus seems to be that there were multiple LR experimentals, and some of those were section 4.

That being said, where are you getting your information from? Because I looked up the website mike2222 pointed out (http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/experimental.cfm), and it specifically says that the experimental is NOT the same time for everyone taking the LSAT on a given day. Personally, I find a widely known, reasonably reputable prep course that gives examples more reliable than your evidence. Just me though.

You say you counted? Mind posting it into pastebin and giving us the URL? I find it hard to believe that you actually calculated this and it came out to show that everyones' experimentals were section 3? Because, for me, section 3 had a question about pizza coupons, which has been pretty much agreed to have been a real question.

I really don't see why so many people are finding it hard to believe that LSAC decided to stop keeping the experimental in the first three sections, despite all the people who say they had it later. Is it really so hard to believe that the LSAT changes, occasionally, and that if a section is viewed by LSAC as not impacting your score (read: experimental) is the subject of the changes, then they wouldn't feel any need to announce it? Did they announce the '07 change?

User avatar
VeeD101
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby VeeD101 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:03 pm

Hey guys - I had LR (25), LG (23), LR (26), LR (25) and RC (27). My understanding from all the discussion above is that the LSAT had 101 questions and so my first LR would be the experimental. Can someone with only two LRs confirm that they had one 26 questions and one 25 questions LR? I only ask because I thought my second LR i.e. section 3 sucked and I am really hoping against all odds that it was the experimental :(

User avatar
qbt1990
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby qbt1990 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:22 pm

VeeD101 wrote:Hey guys - I had LR (25), LG (23), LR (26), LR (25) and RC (27). My understanding from all the discussion above is that the LSAT had 101 questions and so my first LR would be the experimental. Can someone with only two LRs confirm that they had one 26 questions and one 25 questions LR? I only ask because I thought my second LR i.e. section 3 sucked and I am really hoping against all odds that it was the experimental :(


Read the other threads, it is possible your 4th section was experimental. Someone had the reading comp bees passage as their 4th section, and a bunch of us had experimental LR sections 4th.

kindplus
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby kindplus » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:33 pm

EDITED BY MODS

hula_gurl
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby hula_gurl » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:35 pm

kindplus wrote:EDITED BY MODS


i had 2 lg's as well, but it's pretty much been decided here (and other threads) that the section with books on the shelves, ambassadors and bikes was the real section. i had a section with a circular 8 configuration on my 3LG section, and lots of people say that they didn't.

User avatar
qbt1990
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby qbt1990 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:36 pm

edit
Last edited by qbt1990 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby z0rk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:17 pm

rather than debate WHICH of the sections in your order was the experimental it might be more prudent to utilize memory of the questions (within the confines of TLS' rules) to determine which questions were common from each LR section and which one is not. It seems that there is a lot of anxiety fueling this discussion, as folks are hoping that their weakest section was the experimental.

As for my layout I had LR-LG-LR-LR-RC. Clearly I had an LR exp. Whether it was 1, 3, or 4 really is irrelevant to me (and it should be to you). Other folks may have had the same composition, however the LR sections could have appeared in ANY order.

The one thing I would like to know is how many people saw "complete the paragraph" and an abundance of assumption questions on any specific LR. Was this not seen by anyone? Or was it common?

User avatar
pandabear
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby pandabear » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:20 pm

z0rk wrote:The one thing I would like to know is how many people saw "complete the paragraph" and an abundance of assumption questions on any specific LR. Was this not seen by anyone? Or was it common?

definitely noticed this

dianyu
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:00 am

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby dianyu » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi all!

I wanted to reach out to you and would so appreciate your help. I had 3 LR and can't determine which was experimental:

LR Section 1 (25) had a video coupon usage question and also as its last question, the role of statement about "voluntary community measures saving money"

LG Section 2 (23)

LR Section 3 (? #) its first question was a Main Point about Gossip in the office being a good thing.

LR Section 4 (26) had in its last 5 questions, a necessary assumption conditionality one about democracy requiring no corruption, nations requiring a fair, independent, news media.

RC Section 5 (27)

If you could shed any light on which might be experimental, I would appreciate so so much, Thanks again in advance!

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby z0rk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:25 pm

I don't remember a gossip in the office question. Of the two other sections - LR1 and LR4 respectively, do you remember there being an abundance of assumption and complete the paragraph questions? I do remember coupon and I remember democracy and corruption.

dianyu wrote:Hi all!

I wanted to reach out to you and would so appreciate your help. I had 3 LR and can't determine which was experimental:

LR Section 1 (25) had a video coupon usage question and also as its last question, the role of statement about "voluntary community measures saving money"

LG Section 2 (23)

LR Section 3 (? #) its first question was a Main Point about Gossip in the office being a good thing.

LR Section 4 (26) had in its last 5 questions, a necessary assumption conditionality one about democracy requiring no corruption, nations requiring a fair, independent, news media.

RC Section 5 (27)

If you could shed any light on which might be experimental, I would appreciate so so much, Thanks again in advance!

User avatar
zdamico
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby zdamico » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:40 pm

akhan4489 wrote:
mike22222 wrote:
mickeyD wrote:The 25Q LR1 had the discount coupon for people who rented 10 movies or more/did not rent 10 movies or more.

Please tell me someone had this with only 2 LRs, this section was so easy.



was that the same section with swege metal anti-bio and the tornadoes?


Yes to both of these. I had 2 LRs and I had both of these. Rest assured the exp was section 3.



Honestly it takes me 5 seconds to refute this. People with 2 LR have said they were 25 and 26. If Section 3(LR) was my EXP, my two LRs would be 25 and 25. Sorry.

User avatar
pandabear
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby pandabear » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:47 pm

zdamico wrote:
akhan4489 wrote:
mike22222 wrote:
mickeyD wrote:The 25Q LR1 had the discount coupon for people who rented 10 movies or more/did not rent 10 movies or more.

Please tell me someone had this with only 2 LRs, this section was so easy.



was that the same section with swege metal anti-bio and the tornadoes?


Yes to both of these. I had 2 LRs and I had both of these. Rest assured the exp was section 3.



Honestly it takes me 5 seconds to refute this. People with 2 LR have said they were 25 and 26. If Section 3(LR) was my EXP, my two LRs would be 25 and 25. Sorry.

that might've been 6 seconds

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby z0rk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:59 pm

Bstbll wrote:You're addressing multiple people as "this kid." For instance, I'm the guy with the girlfriend, but multiple other people have corroborated with me, including the guy who apparently spoke with his instructor (I must have missed this one). At this point, it seems like the general consensus seems to be that there were multiple LR experimentals, and some of those were section 4.

That being said, where are you getting your information from? Because I looked up the website mike2222 pointed out (http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/experimental.cfm), and it specifically says that the experimental is NOT the same time for everyone taking the LSAT on a given day. Personally, I find a widely known, reasonably reputable prep course that gives examples more reliable than your evidence. Just me though.


A reading of the URL in your post contained the following:

If the experimental is unscored, why should I worry about it at all?

There are two situations where understanding how the experimental section is used is very helpful:

1. If you run into trouble on one of the first three sections.

Test takers can get very discouraged by a poor performance early in the test. But, because the experimental is one of the first three sections, if you have a poor early performance on a section, during the remainder of the test simply assume that the section was experimental and do not let that performance negatively affect the rest of your test performance. Then, at the conclusion of the exam you can determine if that section was in fact the experimental.


Emphasis added.

All this being said, I think everyone has done a thorough job of proving one thing, we don't know with any certainty WHERE the experimental occurs. Again, I feel arguing this point is irrelevant to what most are trying to determine -- which questions were the ones on the experimental section and which were not. Let's focus on that.

kindplus
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby kindplus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:26 am

hula_girl said:
i had 2 lg's as well, but it's pretty much been decided here (and other threads) that the section with books on the shelves, ambassadors and bikes was the real section. i had a section with a circular 8 configuration on my 3LG section, and lots of people say that they didn't.


I understand but my problem is I don't remember which section had the books, ambassadors, & bikes. All I remember is the RSTVXU higher than game, which people havent really brought up yet. The section that had RSTVXU is the one I did very well in, which is why Im trying to figure it out..Anyone know?

pontificvsmaximvs
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby pontificvsmaximvs » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:34 am

cynthia rose wrote:
FAJISTE wrote:Dude, I had a logic games 1st section then LR then another Logic games on the 3rd section. I GOT RAPED by the 3rd section one. Overall I think I did very well on the rest of the test but that 3rd section. Soon found out it was experimental. WIN

I knew it was experimental while taking it; it was nothing like the last 10 games at all.

OMG this was exactly what I needed to read, thank you SO FREAKIN' MUCH. I'm like you, I kind of knew it was experimental during that section because of game 4 but I was still worried that it might not be - I had skipped game 3 as I could see right away it would suck up a lot of time for me, only to get to game 4 and be so gobsmacked by that particular hypo that I actually sat there dumbfounded for a good one to two minutes (and this was after quadruple-checking it to make sure that LSAC had just done what I thought they did). And then for every question I had to keep reminding myself to disregard that hypo for my answers. Ironically I actually think I got all of the questions on it right, but...wow is all I can say. Just when you think there isn't a way for them to complicate hypos any more they find a way to do it. Let's just say I feel for the future LSAT takers who end up with that humdinger when they decide to officially roll that type of thing out.



I thought I absolutely nailed the 3rd LG, and didn't do so well on the 1st LG. Question 3 in the first LG tripped me up a lot, but I killed the 3rd LG.

pontificvsmaximvs
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby pontificvsmaximvs » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:44 am

kindplus wrote:hula_girl said:
i had 2 lg's as well, but it's pretty much been decided here (and other threads) that the section with books on the shelves, ambassadors and bikes was the real section. i had a section with a circular 8 configuration on my 3LG section, and lots of people say that they didn't.


I understand but my problem is I don't remember which section had the books, ambassadors, & bikes. All I remember is the RSTVXU higher than game, which people havent really brought up yet. The section that had RSTVXU is the one I did very well in, which is why Im trying to figure it out..Anyone know?



I'm pretty sure that was the real one.

User avatar
LuckySpurs
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:46 am

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby LuckySpurs » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:52 am

my test order was lr lg lr lr rc

lr-movie rental place
lr-I can't remember anything
lr-computer question/principle
I know for certain I had the pizza place question, crying monkeys, the tornadoes, govt democracy, a ton of flaw questions and assumptions questions tended to be toward the end.

Did anyone with only two LRs have the movie rental question?

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby EMZE » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:53 am

I've spent the last 8 hours going every which way on what section was experimental on my LR. I was one of the 25-26-25 folks and after reading every drop of information out there, from the possibility of it being sec.4 against all odds, to it being sec.1.

I don't think I even remember enough questions for certain to place confidence in any possibility anymore. I am finding that I can, with the same amount, or lack of, faith, call either of my 25q sections experimental. I just hope it was my first because I found it much harder.

Where is LSAC located anyway? I'm ready to knock on doors to find this out.

aliyblue
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:47 am

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby aliyblue » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:54 am

I had 3 LR sections - LR 25, LG, LR 26, LR 25 (?), RC. I specifically remember getting stuck on question 23 of my second LR section (third overall) - it was a parallel reasoning question. Does anyone else recall this question (don't post specifics - don't want to get banned - just yes or no), and if so, what are the odds that the section was experimental? I seem to recall there being several super long parallel reasonings in that section.

benito
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby benito » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:05 am

This forum here should be looked at by people who research the spread of disinformation. Will all of you who swear that either A. There was an experimental section after the break or B. Everyone had their experimental section at the same time, agree to never again subject frantic vulnerable recent test takers to your crazyness once the actual thing is released and you see you're simply wrong?

User avatar
BarcaCrossesTheAlps
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 am

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:21 am

I took it today, too. Totally bombed the first and second sections.... I studied during the summer but not too much lately! I'm knee deep in thesis work for my senior year.... crappy!

Anyway, I'm not looking to get a 170+. All I I want is a 160+. So, that means I can miss about 30 questions, right? If the 1st section was the experimental I have a better shot. It just kicked my ass. The games section didn't seem too difficult, however, for some reason I didn't focus and made some crappy diagrams. Uggh. Didn't get grounded until section three....

I'm going to take the February exam, though. I feel better having taken it, now I know how to navigate the time better and control my pace, etc. I always take standardized tests twice! Just a weird dude...

Oh, I have a question. Are "non disclosed" LSAT exams different? Or are they just that, non disclosed?


Thanks.

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: OCT 2011 Experimental Section

Postby happyshapy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:44 am

benito wrote:This forum here should be looked at by people who research the spread of disinformation. Will all of you who swear that either A. There was an experimental section after the break or B. Everyone had their experimental section at the same time, agree to never again subject frantic vulnerable recent test takers to your crazyness once the actual thing is released and you see you're simply wrong?


yes if you agree that you were wrong when the test is released and the exp of some people's tests are in the 4th section




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, Saylor1720 and 13 guests