big score differences on PTs: take oct LSAT or wait till dec

Lear22

big score differences on PTs: take oct LSAT or wait till dec

Postby Lear22 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:26 am

Hey all,

I am in ESL undergrad. been studying for the LSAT this summer with a TestMasters prep course but I dont feel I am getting the score I need for a T14 (hopefully T10). In addition, I score across the board, from low 150s to mid 160s. Therefore, I really have no idea what I will walk into if I take the test on Sat. My thoughts are if to take the exam, or wait retake the class and take the it in Dec. I was planning to apply ED at some schools and get things done for all the rest by Nov1. This means everything will get pushed back to Jan1. I have a 3.45 GPA and one advantage for me with the Dec test is getting 4 more grades into the GPA (studying on the quarter system). Other than that I have a competitive app, very strong letters of rec (as far as I know :) ) I am older, with cultural diversity and life experience playing in my favor. how much of a disadvantage would taking the Dec LSAT put me in? Isn't a 170 coming in January 1 better than a 163 coming in Nov1?

thanks for any thought

JamMasterJ

Re: big score differences on PTs: take oct LSAT or wait till dec

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 am

Wait. you sound like a solid NU applicant if you bring your score into the low 170s. Right now you could be in the 30s or even mid T2s. Even if it means waiting until next year, you're better off not taking it yet.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks for you help! what does NU mean? I am not too familiar with TLS lingo :)

do you think duke round 2 ED is in reach if I score in the mid-high 160s? (167-9)?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Lear22 wrote:Thanks for you help! what does NU mean? I am not too familiar with TLS lingo :)

do you think duke round 2 ED is in reach if I score in the mid-high 160s? (167-9)?

Northwestern. I doubt it for Duke. They really like gpa's and a 169 probably wouldn't make up the difference. A 172 or so might, however. Check out their graph at lawschoolnumbers.com

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:51 pm

thanks again.

My 'soft' with the GPA is the fact that I am an older ESL student and graduating with dept. honors in 3 years rather than 4. Plus, my GPA does not reflect my entire undergrad degree, as they will only get partial transcripts since I will actually finish my degree in the summer of '12, just before law school begins. Does that give me any leverage with the admissions committee in your experience?

thanks!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Lear22 wrote:thanks again.

My 'soft' with the GPA is the fact that I am an older ESL student and graduating with dept. honors in 3 years rather than 4. Plus, my GPA does not reflect my entire undergrad degree, as they will only get partial transcripts since I will actually finish my degree in the summer of '12, just before law school begins. Does that give me any leverage with the admissions committee in your experience?

thanks!

not really. Sorry. If your LSAT is above the 75th percentile, it might mitigate a little, but they care much much more about the hard numbers

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”