I get anxiety attacks when I study Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lorazepam

New

I get anxiety attacks when I study

Post by lorazepam » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:58 am

I don't know what to do.

My family isn't very supportive, and this makes matters even worse.

I am so easily discouraged. I'm not law school material, huh? :(

Angrygeopolitically

Bronze

Re: I get anxiety attacks when I study

Post by Angrygeopolitically » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:00 am

Go to a law school far away from your family. Tell them to leave you alone.
Work on getting over it. Stop listening to people that have no expertise in what you are doing.

SarahKerrigan

Bronze

Post by SarahKerrigan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:02 am

Well good thing going to law school wont be your families choice correct? I do find it quite strange that you get anxiety just from studying, but i guess everyone has their problems. I'm only a few weeks into my LSAT studies, but i find it quite fun, can't wait to see how much i start improving. I'm not saying you are or aren't "law school material" but what i will say is that you need to think about what is really causing the anxiety, and get that problem fixed before you even start studying for the LSAT or think about going to law school.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:04 am

1. Therapy
2. Medication
3. Quit listening to your family

If 1-3 aren't effective:
4. Become a librarian instead. It's not the end of the world. Law really isn't for everyone.

If you become incapacitated just from studying, the actual test is going to kill you. See a doctor and sort out those anxiety issues before you even think about law school, because it will only get worse.

lorazepam

New

Post by lorazepam » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:24 am

SarahKerrigan wrote:Well good thing going to law school wont be your families choice correct? I do find it quite strange that you get anxiety just from studying, but i guess everyone has their problems. I'm only a few weeks into my LSAT studies, but i find it quite fun, can't wait to see how much i start improving. I'm not saying you are or aren't "law school material" but what i will say is that you need to think about what is really causing the anxiety, and get that problem fixed before you even start studying for the LSAT or think about going to law school.
1. Therapy
2. Medication
3. Quit listening to your family

If 1-3 aren't effective:
4. Become a librarian instead. It's not the end of the world. Law really isn't for everyone.

If you become incapacitated just from studying, the actual test is going to kill you. See a doctor and sort out those anxiety issues before you even think about law school, because it will only get worse.

It's not just the exam- it's the whole application process. What bothers me the most right now is that I'm in a graduate program (I've lost interest in it) and I don't know how I'm supposed to explain it on my application. I'm not even finished with this degree, and here I am thinking about another. It just looks bad.

I do fairly well on the practice exams (165-170), but I've convinced myself that I am wasting my time and money since I will horribly on the actual exam. I have no confidence. Extremely low self-esteem. Then, if I do get in somewhere, I'm convinced it would be a tier 3 or 4 school, I will get a terrible education, will not be able to pass the bar exam, and will be in debt.

Therapy and medication haven't helped me. The adderall has stopped working. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ag912

New

Post by ag912 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:23 am

I'm in the same boat man, it isnt fun when the adderall stops performing 3 days before the test.

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:07 am

I think anxiety is a sign that you don't feel as if you are prepared enough in your prep. I dont know what your ultimate goal is, but that might be something to consider.

Also, I had a problem with insomnia 1.5 months ago and I began taking yoga at my gym. It made a huge difference!! I'm going to try to start it up again because this week the insomnia came back.

Also think about going to the gym regularly, it makes a big difference in terms of stress!!

If you have really low self esteem, since you're still in school take a drama class called intro to acting. It's a big confidence booster!

allysca

New

Post by allysca » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:51 pm

Have you considered petitioning for and doing an ad-hoc joint degree program with your MA rather than just completely dropping the MA?

Also, if you really are unhappy with your MA and you can explain three major points as to WHY you no longer want to pursue the MA, HOW this decision has led you to pursue law school, and WHY its law school or bust for you now I think you could make a pretty good case.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”