Good score on familiar exams = false sense of confidence?

hankypanky

Good score on familiar exams = false sense of confidence?

Postby hankypanky » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:58 pm

I know some people might be nervous for Saturday (as I am) so I wanted some advice from people who have already gone through the ordeal.

I had been scoring somewhere in the 165-169 range going in to the exam last June. Since starting another round of studying in late July, I have been scoring pretty consistently in the 170s. My last three exams were 173-175-175.

Do you guys think having practiced with familiar exams this time around has given me a false sense of confidence going in? Did anyone experience anything like this (i.e. going in on test day and realizing completely new material through you off your game--this happened to me last time and I cancelled my score, although I think I would've scored in the 165-167 range)? Any advice on how to overcome some of this anxiety? Confidence going in vs. actual performance.

I took the tests (35-63) in timed, test-day conditions with the Manhattan LSAT proctor module. Reviewed every wrong answer, questions that took me too long, etc., etc..

But I dunno...some advice would be much appreciated.

glucose101

Re: Good score on familiar exams = false sense of confidence?

Postby glucose101 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:28 pm

I mean, what else could you have done differently other than what you did?

hankypanky

Postby hankypanky » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:35 pm

glucose101 wrote:I mean, what else could you have done differently other than what you did?

Point well taken. I just wanted to see if people would share their experiences.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:30 am

hankypanky wrote:I know some people might be nervous for Saturday (as I am) so I wanted some advice from people who have already gone through the ordeal.

I had been scoring somewhere in the 165-169 range going in to the exam last June. Since starting another round of studying in late July, I have been scoring pretty consistently in the 170s. My last three exams were 173-175-175.

Do you guys think having practiced with familiar exams this time around has given me a false sense of confidence going in? Did anyone experience anything like this (i.e. going in on test day and realizing completely new material through you off your game--this happened to me last time and I cancelled my score, although I think I would've scored in the 165-167 range)? Any advice on how to overcome some of this anxiety? Confidence going in vs. actual performance.

I took the tests (35-63) in timed, test-day conditions with the Manhattan LSAT proctor module. Reviewed every wrong answer, questions that took me too long, etc., etc..

But I dunno...some advice would be much appreciated.

I also took in June for the first time and am retaking on Saturday. The first time around, I was a noob and didn't review my tests, just pounded out PT after PT. I've taken many of 30's and 50's twice now. I also took a few PT's that I had never seen before. Both cases my average was fairly similiar to each other. As long as your not simply answering a question because you remember the right answer but instead going through the thought process, I don't think you should be too worried.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”