KAPLAN Summer Intensive

Miami781

KAPLAN Summer Intensive

Postby Miami781 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:11 am

Is Kaplan Summer intensive worth it for $7,000. For those who do not know what it is, basically you get prepped through lectures, one on one tutoring, small group sessions, and 6 practice tests over the course of 6 weeks. They guarantee higher scores and it would give me a good change of scoring in the high 160's to mid 170's.

adagio15

Re: KAPLAN Summer Intensive

Postby adagio15 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:40 am

Don't think so.. but perhaps it depends for each individual. I took a 2 month Extreme Kaplan course and didn't really find it was worth the cost. A lot of it moved too slowly so I wasn't able to use my time efficiently and target what I should have targeted. Working my butt off outside of class probably helped the most but I'm still halfway to my target score (low/mid 170s). Talking with my teacher for some extra help actually helped the most out of all that time in class. I was going to take the October test, but after finishing Kaplan, I still don't feel fully prepared. I'm probably going for December now. It's hard to say that the class didn't help at all, but I don't think it's worth the cost.

Miami781

Postby Miami781 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:49 am

Wow crazy to think after taking Kaplan you still don't feel prepared, that either speaks volumes of how bad Kaplan is or how hard the LSAT is.

Angrygeopolitically

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:52 am

for $7000 you can hire several tutors that score 175+ and have them follow you around answering all or your questions.

Miami781

Postby Miami781 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 pm

I only need one tutor and ill take a 170 all day , my dream is to go to Boston College Law School. Where do I go about hiring a tutor, I assume there is a HUGE gap between good and bad tutors, I find it hard to believe any lawyer or current law school student is going to also need to be a LSAT tutor which means it must be someone who is never going to law school.

Eve0000

Postby Eve0000 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:33 pm

I agree with adagio15. I also took the Kaplan Extreme course and it was not worth the cost. Kaplan is not good prep for the LSAT. The amount of time and work I put in outside the classroom could've been done without taking the course and just by purchasing the books and tests. I ended up buying the powerscore books and just individual tests and that's how my score went up. My personal experience with Kaplan was that half of the class was spent chit-chatting and discussing issues that could have been discussed after class, instead of teaching us relevant methods and techniques. I strongly advise against Kaplan.

Miami781

Postby Miami781 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks for the responses. Will just buy the powerscore trilogy and see where that gets me, hopefully 169-171 range for BC.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Just checked the Kaplan website for information. The summer intensive program is much more than $7,000. Tuition is $7,999 (although early registrants can get up to a $500 discount). Optional housing & meals in Boston is $3,500. Add in transportation to & from Boston and the total cost easily exceeds $12,000. Too expensive, in my opinion, but I don't know anyone who has taken this course.

Miami781

Postby Miami781 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:58 pm

12,000... yeah I don't think so, only way I would spend that much is if someone would guarantee me a 180

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:05 pm

When I researched this course about two years ago, there was no guarantee offered. But a guarantee in the high 160s would be worthwhile for many prospective law students since at least a few Tier One law schools likely would offer very substantial scholarships. Regardless, Kaplan's LSAT prep courses do not get good reviews in comparison to other test prep companies.

Miami781

Postby Miami781 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:28 pm

I decided to sign up for KAPLAN anyways, not trying to sounds rude but my parents were willing to pay and I am willing to do whatever it takes to score a 165-170

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Do not take Kaplan. That is all

Miami781

Postby Miami781 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Then what do I take, I want to take a course and get tutored I dont want to study 100 percent on my own, havning someone help me will undoubtfully yield greater results

mtbssd

Postby mtbssd » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Miami781 wrote:Then what do I take, I want to take a course and get tutored I dont want to study 100 percent on my own, havning someone help me will undoubtfully yield greater results

Undoubtedly*? definitely not. There is no guarantee that taking a course will help you more than personal study. If you really must take a course look up powerscore, blueprint, or manhattan, I hear good things about all of those...

Angrygeopolitically

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:20 pm

um.. craigslist. Some people just put off law school and tutor for a little, myself included. Ask to see their lsac account to make sure of their score and couple it with the bibles. Kaplan will send you in the wrong direction.

Miami781

Postby Miami781 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:31 pm

How about you tutor me, I live in Boston and will pay you 5,000 if you can get me to get a 167.

mtbssd

Postby mtbssd » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:02 pm

I'd bet that if you posted here in TLS you could find somebody that will tutor you over skype for like... minimum wage. I just took the LSAT in Oct but I was PTing in the 177-180 range on every single test and felt just as good on the the actual thing, totally self prep. There are probably 20 people on this site that would be happy to tutor you and save you like... 10 grand. 167 is totally doable.

CodyRuegger

Postby CodyRuegger » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:39 am

Don't take the course. If you're dedicated enough to throw $7,000 away you're dedicated enough to produce a higher score outside of a prep course, I guarantee it. The common thread that strings nearly every higher scorer together regardless of their study method is the raw amount of practice tests they take, and by enrolling in a program where you only take six, you are selling yourself way short.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:43 am

mtbssd wrote:I'd bet that if you posted here in TLS you could find somebody that will tutor you over skype for like... minimum wage. I just took the LSAT in Oct but I was PTing in the 177-180 range on every single test and felt just as good on the the actual thing, totally self prep. There are probably 20 people on this site that would be happy to tutor you and save you like... 10 grand. 167 is totally doable.

Virtually no one's gonna tutor for min wage. It's too specialized a skill for that.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:02 am

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT take that course. That's 7,000 dollars wasted IMO. I took a Kaplan course and from my experience, it was not worth it.

You should put a few hundred dollars into prep materials, set aside a few hours of your day, and take many practice tests for 3-5 months. I recommend the Powerscore bibles first and foremost, and then as many practice tests as possible.
If you don't think you can motivate yourself to self study, then how would you motivate yourself to self study for law school?

You can do it!

Good luck.

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:08 am

Miami781 wrote:I decided to sign up for KAPLAN anyways, not trying to sounds rude but my parents were willing to pay and I am willing to do whatever it takes to score a 165-170

If your willing to do whatever it takes to score 165-170, then you would actually take the time to find the best test prep company rather than spending the most money. as far as a suggestion goes... i'd go with velocity, and that is what i have purchased, not saying its the best, because i haven't tried every prep company, but i i have no complaints myself, and haven't heard any complaints from anyone else on these forums.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:19 am

If you do take the Kaplan Summer Intensive LSAT prep course, I hope that you report back with updates.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:27 am

I've posted this opinion before and it is just my opinion / not necessarily correct (some disagree with it some agree with it).

I honestly feel like with the assistance of TLS you can self-study. Get the 3 bibles (some don't like the RC bible but it personally helped me a ton, and with this long to study get it), and all of the practice tests you can (get the books of 10 Real lsats).

Start by going through the bibles / learning the techniques, then move to PTs / REVIEWING your Pts to see what you did wrong. Reference the bibles when you start noticing what you're consistently missing. Also you don't have to 100% go by the bibles... they help a ton / start out with them, but you'll develop your own strategies / adjust them which is fine but the bibles give you a REALLY solid background

You have to develop some consistency... studying insane 1 day then setting down the books for 3 weeks will not assist you in learning the LSAT techniques

Questions will ALWAYS come up, but TLS will help you. Without TLS / the internet I would have needed a tutor, but hell I had a thread that started out as 1 question but turned into me just asking anything they came up / getting VERY helpful answers... idk I personally feel you don't need a tutor.

The main argument against this is that a course / tutor FORCES you to study. If you need this, then get one. I don't know much about courses but the general consensus on the board seems to be:
1. Kaplan is generally the worst
2. PS is generally really good
3. Despite these and other trends the most important aspect is not the company but the instructor, so research the instructor / try to sit in on a class of their's if possible

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:21 pm

^ the instructor will make or break the course. Good instructor = better chances of progress.

CattyPake

Postby CattyPake » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:27 pm

I took a Kaplan class before I discovered TLS (not the summer intensive but I imagine they used the same techniques). Following Kaplan methods my PTs absolutely plateaued at 166 no matter how much I practiced. I got a 166 on the LSAT.
I wasn't really happy with my score so I decided to retake but to study with the PS books since PS gets high ratings on TLS. Since I retook this Oct. I don't have a score out yet but I am pretty confident it is better than a 166.

Some people benefit from taking classes rather than studying on their own but please heed the advice on TLS and do not take a Kaplan class.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”