How hard is it to study during the school year? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
notaznguy

Bronze

How hard is it to study during the school year?

Post by notaznguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:46 am

Okay, so school has just started for me again and I'm taking 12 units, which is 3 classes. The beautiful thing is I only have 1 one hour class on Tuesday and the rest of the day off and I have all of Thursday and Friday off with no classes. I am also not working nor being active with my social life (at least not very much).

That being said, I've been studying since June and have taken a TestMasters course. I was able to improve from 138 cold diagnostic to 158 on my most recent diag, and my highest so far has been 159. I've only take 5 practice tests, with my score: 142, 148, 151, 159, 158 respectively each time.

I want to be able to get at a 167-168 to get into USC (my top choice) and at the very LEAST a 163-164 so I can at LEAST go to UC Davis or UC Hastings as my backup.

I'm also deciding to take the test in February 2012.

To be honest, I'm kinda scared that I'll have trouble balancing LSAT and school work. I've never studied both the LSAT and studied for upcoming midterms and finals and writing papers. It's very daunting. Summer was terrific because I had everyday, all day to study. Now that I have school, I have to limit myself. If you studied any during the school year, did you find it difficult?

chrisbru

Gold

Re: How hard is it to study during the school year?

Post by chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:07 pm

notaznguy wrote:Okay, so school has just started for me again and I'm taking 12 units, which is 3 classes. The beautiful thing is I only have 1 one hour class on Tuesday and the rest of the day off and I have all of Thursday and Friday off with no classes. I am also not working nor being active with my social life (at least not very much).

That being said, I've been studying since June and have taken a TestMasters course. I was able to improve from 138 cold diagnostic to 158 on my most recent diag, and my highest so far has been 159. I've only take 5 practice tests, with my score: 142, 148, 151, 159, 158 respectively each time.

I want to be able to get at a 167-168 to get into USC (my top choice) and at the very LEAST a 163-164 so I can at LEAST go to UC Davis or UC Hastings as my backup.

To be honest, I'm kinda scared that I'll have trouble balancing LSAT and school work. I've never studied both the LSAT and studied for upcoming midterms and finals and writing papers. It's very daunting. Summer was terrific because I had everyday, all day to study. Now that I have school, I have to limit myself. If you studied any during the school year, did you find it difficult?

Treat UG more like full time job, from 9am-5pm or so (if you need that much time to still do well, with 12 cr you may not) and pencil in evening time for LSAT study.

I studied for the LSAT while working 40 hr weeks, and never had a problem finding time for both and still having social time.

notaznguy

Bronze

Post by notaznguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:16 pm

chrisbru wrote:
notaznguy wrote:Okay, so school has just started for me again and I'm taking 12 units, which is 3 classes. The beautiful thing is I only have 1 one hour class on Tuesday and the rest of the day off and I have all of Thursday and Friday off with no classes. I am also not working nor being active with my social life (at least not very much).

Treat UG more like full time job, from 9am-5pm or so (if you need that much time to still do well, with 12 cr you may not) and pencil in evening time for LSAT study.

I studied for the LSAT while working 40 hr weeks, and never had a problem finding time for both and still having social time.
Nvm. Thanks for your response.

notaznguy

Bronze

Post by notaznguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Anyone else? How hard was it for YOU to study for the LSAT during the school year?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:04 am

notaznguy wrote:Anyone else? How hard was it for YOU to study for the LSAT during the school year?
I studied/PT'ed for about 80 hrs over the course of about six months. Extremely manageable (I also took 4 weeks worth of breaks from LSAT studying over that period). Wasn't working though. 4 classes, which I really wanted to get A's in to boost my gpa in my last semester, which I did (and all were fairly intensive classes, as far as social sciences / humanities go). And test day was the day after I finished finals and graduated. And yes, I got fucked up that weekend (as soon as I came out of hibernation after the test).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:51 am

I have had a difficult time studying for the LSAT. However, I'm taking 15 hours, working till 5pm after morning classes and I'm on my UG Moot Court team which has practice after school.

If you take away work and moot court then I would have no problem at all studying for the LSAT.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:28 am

Dude, you should have no problem finding time to study. I am taking 6 classes and working 15 hours and still find time. Only taking 3 classes and not working/having a social life will leave you plenty of time. Granted, studying the LSAT while having to do schoolwork sucks, but it shouldn't be a problem for you. I would just schedule a set time each day and treat it like another class.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:37 am

I worked 40 hours a week and took 5 classes and was fine. You just need to resign yourself to not being able to do a lot (almost all) of the shit you want to do for awhile.

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:46 am

Took the February test too. Studied only during winter break and after. Did well. Use your break wisely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”