Prep Test 61, Section 4, #26

UofO

Prep Test 61, Section 4, #26

Postby UofO » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:32 pm

It's a parallel flaw question.

P1: Countries with an uneducated population are destined to be weak economically + politically.

P2: Countries with an educated population have governments financial support backing up public education.

C: any country with a government that financially supports education will avoid political and economic weakness.

Will someone please help me better understand the flaw here?

I know that the conclusion does not follow from the premises; that is, government commitment to public education is not sufficient to prevent economic and political weakness.

However, I think I'm missing the bigger picture here...

VyingDestiny

Re: Prep Test 61, Section 4, #26

Postby VyingDestiny » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:34 am

Hi, I tend to redraw the parallel reasoning questions in order to better understand them.

In this case, it would go like this:

-A yields B
A yields C
C yields -B

I use negatives to represent direct counters, i.e, educated versus uneducated, or destined weakness versus avoided weakness.

I have found that this simplified diagram makes it significantly easier to answer the question. In paralleling flawed reasoning questions, I do not find it beneficial to focus on identifying the flaw per se, because what is important is understanding and imitating the logical flow, whether it be wrong or right.

I hope this helps.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”