Score jump on actual LSAT

Ashley88

Score jump on actual LSAT

Postby Ashley88 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Okay so I'm (like several others) taking the LSAT October 1. I've been studying for about 6 months and have only hit the 157 mark (first diag was a 135) so my jump is pretty good (I think). Honestly, I'm over doing the practice tests, I've done so many in real Testing conditions and 5 complete sections, and I know they don't count as the real thing necessarily. I guess my question is: has anyone had a significant jump from their last diagnostic on their actual LSAT? I'm hoping for at least above a 162. I'm counting on game day mentality to kick in and help me void out the dullness of practices not being real. I'd appreciate any input!!

cinephile

Re: Score jump on actual LSAT

Postby cinephile » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:40 pm

It's definitely possible, but not something to expect. I had a score jump and it was a nice surprise but I had a range of schools that I would've happily attended even without the score jump.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Don't count on it, don't even hope for it.

Ashley88

Postby Ashley88 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:46 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what was your jump? I have a lot of possibilities outlined, but my dream school is Fordham. I feel like I know what I'm doing, I'm just not putting my all into it anymore because I just want the real thing to happen.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Ashley88 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what was your jump? I have a lot of possibilities outlined, but my dream school is Fordham. I feel like I know what I'm doing, I'm just not putting my all into it anymore because I just want the real thing to happen.

PM'd.
And also, good luck!

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Ashley88 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what was your jump? I have a lot of possibilities outlined, but my dream school is Fordham. I feel like I know what I'm doing, I'm just not putting my all into it anymore because I just want the real thing to happen.

You really should think about waiting until you can consistently score at the level you need for your dream school before you take the exam. Most people experience a drop of 1-2 points from their practice test average. You might also want to consider aiming for schools that give you better job prospects than Fordham.

Ronburgandy2468

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:26 pm

buckilaw wrote:

You really should think about waiting until you can consistently score at the level you need for your dream school before you take the exam. Most people experience a drop of 1-2 points from their practice test average. You might also want to consider aiming for schools that give you better job prospects than Fordham.

Fordham is fine, and whether she does good or bad on the Oct LSAT, most schools around that range take the highest score, so it won't hurt at all to take the Oct LSAT. If anything, it would be good to experience it, for other future LSAT sittings.

941law

Postby 941law » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:54 pm

I am counting/hoping for a test day jump. Mainly because my attention, focus, and just overall adrenaline is very low on all of my practice test. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say 5. Of course I'm hoping for full attention, focus, and adrenaline on test day.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:46 am

941law wrote:I am counting/hoping for a test day jump. Mainly because my attention, focus, and just overall adrenaline is very low on all of my practice test. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say 5. Of course I'm hoping for full attention, focus, and adrenaline on test day.

I was also hoping for a "jump" on test day. The first time I took the LSAT I finished 2 points below my PT average. The second time I took it I was 3 below my new and improved average. This is just anecdotal, but how many people do you see making threads/posts where they say they scored above their average? Don't burn a test because of wishful thinking, never know if you are going to need that 3rd test.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:43 am

Don't count on a score jump. Not even a little bit. Especially at the score level that you're PTing at.

I hoped for a score jump and ended up with a low score. I raised it a lot the second time around but I was still 3 points lower than my average.

Angrygeopolitically

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:49 am

I went up 4 points from my average on test day. Believe!!!!!!!!!!!

redsox

Postby redsox » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 am

I dropped 6 points from cold diagnostic to real LSAT. HTH.

941law

Postby 941law » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:47 pm

buckilaw wrote:
I was also hoping for a "jump" on test day. The first time I took the LSAT I finished 2 points below my PT average. The second time I took it I was 3 below my new and improved average. This is just anecdotal, but how many people do you see making threads/posts where they say they scored above their average? Don't burn a test because of wishful thinking, never know if you are going to need that 3rd test.

I'm with you guys, but was your effort level (for lack of a better word) at maximum potential during PT's? My point above is that mine is nowhere near and I'm looking forward to a true intense effort on test day.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:50 pm

I was surprised that the real LSAT took a toll on me. I have never had problems on standardized test, but I dropped 8 points from my PT average on the real test day. Chickens hatched etc.

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:05 pm

Hope is not a strategy.

Instead of "hoping", look at where you are missing the most problems. What is your breakdown of missed questions by section?

LR: -5
RC: -6
LG: -6
LR2: -8

Does that look about right? If so, I would start working on the LR questions. My advice is to buy the Cambridge LSAT LR sections by type. I purchased them for every LR type, and I purchased the LR MOST DIFFICULT. I thought the PowerScore LR Bible was good, but I really liked ExamKrackers LR book.

Once you go through enough LR questions, you will subconsciously begin to see patterns. However, it takes time for this subconscious process to happen.

I took the LSAT twice, and each time I scored exactly my prep test average. I got a 162 and a 167. While for TLS standards a 167 sucks, it's in the 95th percentile - top 5% works for me!

Remember, you must identify your weaknesses and improve in those areas. A 157 tells me your missing about 25 - 30 questions. That's like missing an entire section.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:19 pm

941law wrote:
buckilaw wrote:

I'm with you guys, but was your effort level (for lack of a better word) at maximum potential during PT's? My point above is that mine is nowhere near and I'm looking forward to a true intense effort on test day.

Yes my effort level was at (or near) maximum on PT's. It was definitely at maximum on the day of the test and my score dropped. Do you see what we're saying here?

Also, I think your sudden effort during the test and the adrenaline rush might work against you.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:21 pm

941law wrote:
buckilaw wrote:

Mine was at the max. It had to be to consistently test over 170.

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:26 pm

Pleasye wrote:Yes my effort level was at (or near) maximum on PT's. It was definitely at maximum on the day of the test and my score dropped. Do you see what we're saying here?

Also, I think your sudden effort during the test and the adrenaline rush might work against you.

+1.
I think you are underestimating nerves on test day. My score dropped substantially. I'm retaking from June.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:48 pm

I can't stress enough how bad an idea it is to hope to outscore your average on the day of the test.
If you plan on taking the test like that you are going to stress yourself out and become stubborn with questions that you cant get quickly and waste time. If you try to pull out an above average LSAT you will likely change up your test taking strategy and end up underscoring.
That's exactly what happened to me in June
I went in with a 165 average after 40 tests and i had a few close to 170, so on test day i tried for a 170 and overburdened myself and the result was a 158 :oops:
Now I'm retaking Saturday and i will be happy with a 163 :mrgreen: get the LSAT out of the way is my advice, over-performance comes from comfort, not adrenaline

Ashley88

Postby Ashley88 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:59 pm

I'm very realisitic about test day stress. The company I tutored with simulates the real actual conditions with 5 sections, a proctor, time restrictions, etc. Like I said, I understand the material, but I'm thinking I'm just burned out. For the las 3 months I've done 3 simulated exams a week, studied for at least 2 hours after and on the other days I've done a good 3 hours. I haven't had a day off and my tutor seems to think it's my fatigue. I once took 2 weeks off (back when I was gonna take the February test, and I did the same amount of studying, etc) and I jumped 7 points from that alone. I'm starting to think it's the exhaustion kicking in, so I'm just gonna take the next few days off and put my all into it. Good luck to all and thanks!!!!

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Like anything, it is POSSIBLE. However, don't depend on it and don't think that it is likely. You will most likely score between 1-3 points between your average.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:13 am

I was taking an LSAT every day, on some days i would take 2 LSAT's back to back with only a 15 minute break between sections 3 and 4, then again between 5 and 6 (8 sections in all). I took the day before the test off- i wont do that again.
I think going in 3 days cold is a long break, but GL to you

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:55 pm

I'd be very interested to know what the outcome of this is if you wouldn't mind updating us OP.

Ashley88

Postby Ashley88 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:56 pm

I did my last PT of June 2011 today and hit a 165.. My focus was dead on and I didn't get fatigued like I normally do..hopefully this will follow me in on Saturday! I'll def keep you posted..

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Pleasye wrote:I'd be very interested to know what the outcome of this is if you wouldn't mind updating us OP.

+1!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”