Testing vs. Delaying

yaleber
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Testing vs. Delaying

Postby yaleber » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Just had a simple question for anyone willing to chime in on. My first test scored a 147. I'm now PTing around 158-159 and 162 was my highest was last month (sorry I don't have PT numbers on those...they were more recent than early).

I signed up to take the Oct 1st test, but I'm really nervous about doing so. I'm set on going to a t20 next year (potentially willing to wait an extra cycle). Long story short, what are the true advantages to waiting vs. just taking the damn thing and getting rid of my extremely high anxiety about the test itself. FYI: Oct. would be my first time taking the test.

Side note:
The inspiration I find in the success stories on this forum has kept me going for awhile now. I can't possibly explain how many times I've found myself questioning whether or not I am reaching an impenetrable cognitive barrier and find myself only moments later relieved that doing well on this thing is without question in your control. (so thanks for that!)

User avatar
citykitty
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: Testing vs. Delaying

Postby citykitty » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Wait. You want to be consistently testing 5pts or so above your target score. If you're cool with waiting a year, there's no reason not to at least wait until December.

yaleber
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: Testing vs. Delaying

Postby yaleber » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:11 pm

I guess my question is: what are actual the admission advantages to doing so? To be more specific and before I get flamed for my second post, if most schools don't average is there a distinct advantage to having just one score? I'm under some pressure from my folks to take it, considering I withdrew in June for the exact same reasons.

User avatar
SA1928
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Testing vs. Delaying

Postby SA1928 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:13 pm

My initial reaction is you should probably wait until December, especially since you are willing to wait another cycle. Even still, having a strong LSAT in December will outweigh the advantage of applying early, in my opinion. I decided to wait until December too, just wasn't feeling confident that I will get the score I want and would rather put in the extra 9 weeks to get there and feel completely confident in my ability to perform my best.

Also, how long have you been prepping? What materials/methods have you been using? What is your goal score? What is your GPA? URM?

Congrats on the score boost already though! That is awesome :)

yaleber
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: Testing vs. Delaying

Postby yaleber » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:22 pm

I think where I'm getting at with this: I really don't want to wait a full year (but I'd be willing to do it if the circumstances demanded) and I thought the experience would be helpful in taking some fear out of me and then in all probability I'd just cancel the score

Bad strategy?

Thanks, I could clearly use some more work though. I've been prepping in earnest since about mid-June and kind of disheartened at the relatively weak score increase given my prep time. Non-URM, about to graduate Syracuse University this year with a 3.72. My goal score is anywhere between a 167-170. Anything in that range would be ideal.

oh and I took a Testmasters course and have been working mainly out of those books.

User avatar
SA1928
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Testing vs. Delaying

Postby SA1928 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:32 pm

I considered doing the same thing, just to get a feel for how test day would actually go and then just cancel. However, I don't think I'm going to, mostly because I have bad luck and I'm afraid that something will happen during December and I don't want two cancelled tests. Honestly, I'm not sure if that is a good idea or bad idea, so hopefully other people have some insight on that!

Based on where you're scoring and what you're goal is, I would say hold off until December. It doesn't sound very realistic to jump up to a 167-170 in the next couple of days. December will still allow you to apply this cycle, even if it is late. I plan on still applying this year to hopefully get into a T20 also and I feel that the extra points will definitely make a bigger difference than getting my apps in before Halloween.

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: Testing vs. Delaying

Postby glucose101 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:34 pm

SA1928 wrote:I decided to wait until December too, just wasn't feeling confident that I will get the score I want and would rather put in the extra 9 weeks to get there and feel completely confident in my ability to perform my best.


Same here. Everyone advised me to take in Oct to get the feeling of test day. While I also thought the same thing, I also thought if I'm not even scoring in the range of my desired score, it's best I continue hitting the PTs until I get there.

yaleber
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: Testing vs. Delaying

Postby yaleber » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:51 pm

glucose101 wrote:
SA1928 wrote:I decided to wait until December too, just wasn't feeling confident that I will get the score I want and would rather put in the extra 9 weeks to get there and feel completely confident in my ability to perform my best.


Same here. Everyone advised me to take in Oct to get the feeling of test day. While I also thought the same thing, I also thought if I'm not even scoring in the range of my desired score, it's best I continue hitting the PTs until I get there.


I guess I have to make some choices about my future and soon. I always thought since I started college I'd go straight in. Maybe that's just not in the cards.

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: Testing vs. Delaying

Postby glucose101 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:56 pm

yaleber wrote:
glucose101 wrote:
SA1928 wrote:I decided to wait until December too, just wasn't feeling confident that I will get the score I want and would rather put in the extra 9 weeks to get there and feel completely confident in my ability to perform my best.


Same here. Everyone advised me to take in Oct to get the feeling of test day. While I also thought the same thing, I also thought if I'm not even scoring in the range of my desired score, it's best I continue hitting the PTs until I get there.


I guess I have to make some choices about my future and soon. I always thought since I started college I'd go straight in. Maybe that's just not in the cards.


So did I, but I'm glad I'm taking time off to prep, do my best, and do something different. Trust me, I was always one of those 4 yrs hs, 4 yrs college, 3 law school kinds of guy. Give yourself time.

User avatar
SA1928
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Testing vs. Delaying

Postby SA1928 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:00 pm

When I went to the LSAC Forum, the one thing most of the current law school students said was they wished they had taken a year off in between because once you graduate, there isn't time really to slow down until at least a few years into your career. Personally, I am on my 2nd year out of school considering one more now that I am postponing my LSAT. Try to keep focused, get your LSAT done in December so that it is over and in case you do decide to wait until next year, you are ready and know your options.

User avatar
SarahKerrigan
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: Testing vs. Delaying

Postby SarahKerrigan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:34 pm

I wouldn't stress at all about waiting a year to apply, however i would have something planned for that year. whether it be more LSAT prep, or finding a job/LSAT prep. Just think about how much your LSAT score really means to your future, you are going to want to know that you gave it your all. good luck!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amiliatoe, earldasquirel, Gumbocat, Instrumental, Lawl_Schoolz, sethnoorzad, Vino.Veritas and 9 guests