Test Day Stress

dfowkes

Test Day Stress

Postby dfowkes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:33 pm

I have taken many PTs and my scores range from 164-168. However, I have a bad feeling that when I show up on test day I am going to have a anxiety attack, lock up and end up scoring 140 or something. Does anyone have tips on how to deal with the stress so that my actual score will be similar to the scores I have been getting on the PTs?

minnbills

Re: Test Day Stress

Postby minnbills » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Try and get a fair amount of exercise the afternoon before to work out some of the stress. Other than that, you have to relish the challenge to a certain extent, rather than be intimidated by it. That's what I did anyways and it worked for me.

etymology

Postby etymology » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm in the same boat and two things that have helped me so far:

1) I read some advice that said basically, to the next group of test takers, October 2011 will just be "Preptest 64." It's just another test and, while this one happens to be the one that will count, there's nothing about the content that should foster any unique fears or anxieties.

and 2) if you bomb it, you'll know, so you can just cancel and sign up for December. Not ideal, but not life-altering.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:37 pm

think of it as just another PT, but taken with a bunch of other people...

remember that you studied hard, and are prepared. Focus on each question and do your best to not let it get to you. Dont let a section get to you ( and if its in the first 3 tell yourself if you think it was bad that it was the experimental, even if its not- so you keep your confidence up). Dont worry about the other test takers, know and trust your skillls and preparation.

this thing has a big confidence component to it.l Sure you need to learn and master the skills necessary to do well, but you also need to know that you have and have mastered those skills, and know how to apply them to achieve your target score.

and remember, after this pt you have every right( and imo duty) to go get hammered ( just make arrangements to go home safely before hand)

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:41 pm

dfowkes wrote:I have taken many PTs and my scores range from 164-168. However, I have a bad feeling that when I show up on test day I am going to have a anxiety attack, lock up and end up scoring 140 or something. Does anyone have tips on how to deal with the stress so that my actual score will be similar to the scores I have been getting on the PTs?

You consistently get most of the questions right on practice tests. Why should this be any different on test day? On the flip side, there will be plenty of people in your test center who consistently get most of the questions wrong during what little prep they have done. Sit back and smile while they talk of trying to get a high enough score to attend the local TTT.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:You consistently get most of the questions right on practice tests. Why should this be any different on test day? On the flip side, there will be plenty of people in your test center who consistently get most of the questions wrong during what little prep they have done. Sit back and smile while they talk of trying to get a high enough score to attend the local TTT.

Sadly this is true. On test day I was stunned how little most people studied. Most seemed content to go to TTT/Ts in the area too.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
dfowkes wrote:I have taken many PTs and my scores range from 164-168. However, I have a bad feeling that when I show up on test day I am going to have a anxiety attack, lock up and end up scoring 140 or something. Does anyone have tips on how to deal with the stress so that my actual score will be similar to the scores I have been getting on the PTs?

You consistently get most of the questions right on practice tests. Why should this be any different on test day? On the flip side, there will be plenty of people in your test center who consistently get most of the questions wrong during what little prep they have done. Sit back and smile while they talk of trying to get a high enough score to attend the local TTT.

This is true. Try to sit next to dumb people. Identify them by the amount of hair product they're wearing on test day and the uncomfortableness of their clothes.

etymology

Postby etymology » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:16 am

minnbills wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:You consistently get most of the questions right on practice tests. Why should this be any different on test day? On the flip side, there will be plenty of people in your test center who consistently get most of the questions wrong during what little prep they have done. Sit back and smile while they talk of trying to get a high enough score to attend the local TTT.

Sadly this is true. On test day I was stunned how little most people studied. Most seemed content to go to TTT/Ts in the area too.

I've noticed that as well. I can't believe more people don't realize that it really is worth sacrificing ~3 months just to focus on the test. Even if you don't have very high school aspirations, the money factor alone is worth it.

In a way, though, that's part of the exam. A good score is evidence of (in addition to ability), having high goals, knowing how to achieve one's goals, and then following through- all important to being a successful individual during and after law school.

Angrygeopolitically

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:17 am

Mimic the test situation. Take a week of tests in stressful areas. Starbucks, in the hallway at school, on the edge of a cliff with one leg of the chair hanging off. While you are doing this, if you survive, focus on turning anxiety into focus. Listen to motivational music before the test and before a couple of practice tests. Do a couple of easy problems before you go into the test to warm you up and make you feel good about yourself. Try taking a test in the actual classroom. Get a friend to hover over you while timing you when you are taking a practice test. Tell that cute girl/boy that you have always had a crush on that you are in love with them. Say extremely inappropriate stuff in public to build up your tolerance for adversity. After all of this, answering a few questions that can be deduced from the information above them will be easy.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:20 am

Music is a great idea. I suggest Shostakovich's Festival Overture. Good Communist music can really get your blood boiling (for revolution? on the LSAT?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7o_3aBIeyU

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:25 am

Hey I blasted the Marseillaise on the way to the test center lol

Angrygeopolitically

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Don't for get about Rachmaninoff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8l37utZ ... re=related

Or if you are in a funky mood, how about moondog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSimbyS_YlA

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”