How to improve LG in next week?

sfamor

How to improve LG in next week?

Postby sfamor » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:15 pm

I'm consistently scoring in the upper 160's on PT's taken under real-ish conditions, but still am bombing the logic games section. I generally end up getting around 13 or 14 questions right. I took an intensive two and a half month review course and have put a lot of time into this and improved in both the other sections drastically. What should I try to focus on during the next week in order to get my LG up? I would really like to break the 170's and I know I can't do that if I don't get it together with the LG's :(
Last edited by sfamor on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawschoolproject

Re: How to improve LG in next week?

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:24 pm

What specific question types are you getting wrong? I'd identify those and practice those question types as much as possible without timing myself just to make sure I understood the concept behind them. Then, I'd do timed drills and then maybe a full PT to see how everything went. But, to be honest, you don't have a lot of time so I'm not sure how effective it will be.

Hope it all works out!

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:28 pm

How well do you understand formal logic statements? Many (if not most) logic games have rules that are almost entirely formal logic. Do you really understand the implications of formal logic statements? Are you always writing the contrapositive of the rule as well? Deductions often come from combining the contrapositives of rules with other rules. Are you spending enough/too much time on setting up the game? Are you rushing through the questions without really understanding what they're asking or are you getting stuck on one and running out of time?

I need more information on how you're going -10 to be able to tell you how to improve.

sfamor

Postby sfamor » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:37 pm

My problem seems to be not so much with a specific question type, but just in general with the harder games. I usually have no problem with the easier games. My diagrams and clues seem to be right (I do always do the contrapositive) however, I nearly always end up missing big deductions. I understand the deductions I miss when they are specifically pointed out to me after the fact, but I still probably wouldn't have gotten it when reviewing on my own. Additionally, I somehow always forget about clues that I've noted at the top of the diagram (such as x can only go in 2 or 3), especially as I'm getting to the later questions and my diagram is quite long. Part of my problem I know is just going a little slower and double checking, but the deductions do not come easy for me and when I'm stressed in the middle of the test I always miss them.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Try re-playing games several times to make your process more and more ingrained into your brain.

Also, great that you know that you're forgetting about rules - remember that on test day! I noticed that tendency so started putting any rules that didn't fit into the main diagram into what I call the "panic room." It's a box, and I know to go look there instead of panic.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:56 pm

-10 on games and scoring upper 160s? In other words, rarely missing any LR or RC questions. Damn.

Dream scenario for most test-preppers. Delay til December and cruise to a 180.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”