Should I delay?

ughlaw
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:12 pm

Should I delay?

Postby ughlaw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm scheduled to take on Oct 1, but it seems I've just been getting worse. I went from scoring 169-171 down to 164ish. Which may not be THAT big of a drop score-wise but it's a drop that will definitely have a significant effect on schools I get into.

However, I really don't want to have to go through the process of studying for this test again, I don't want to delay law school another year, and I want to have the advantage of applying earlier in the cycle. I want a 170 but I'm obviously not at the point where that's guaranteed.

Yet I also don't want a bad first score on my record. I believe that if I DID choose to delay till Dec, I could study enough to make a 170 more likely.

So what should I do? Take in Oct and be cool with hopefully a mid-160s score and hope that my 3.9 GPA saves me somewhat.... Or wait till Dec but be at a disadvantage due to applying late?

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: Should I delay?

Postby glucose101 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Others will disagree w me, I'm sure, but I say don't take it. Ya, you can go in and take the test to see what it's like to take the test under working conditions, but in all honesty, I feel that if you're nowhere near the pt where your desired score is guaranteed, you aren't magically going to get that score, esp under working conditions. That's my take anyhow, and the reason I'm not taking in Oct anymore and taking in Dec.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15495
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Should I delay?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 pm

ughlaw wrote:
However, I really don't want to have to go through the process of studying for this test again, I don't want to delay law school another year, and I want to have the advantage of applying earlier in the cycle. I want a 170 but I'm obviously not at the point where that's guaranteed.


So you don't want to study again and you want to apply early in the cycle? Answer seems obvious.

Look, the 170 will never be guaranteed. Give this last week all you've got and take it in October. You still have a chance to score 170 next week and if it doesn't work out, retake. The experience of going through the test will help you on a retake anyway.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: applejacks888, JohnMaynardKeynes, theboringest, wildquest8200 and 10 guests