Drilling reading comp

Susan_Walid

Drilling reading comp

Postby Susan_Walid » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Hey guys. I'm retaking in Dec (2011). I have the LG's down (-2 max). LR is standard. However, I completely bombed reading comp. Starting Monday I need to develop a plan to completely drill reading comp. What do you guys suggest? Any books? Strategies? I'm going to read the Powerscore bible and I've heard good things about the Manhattan RC book...

What else should I do??? Please. I really need help. If I can pull myself together for this section, it will improve my score dramatically.

Someone suggested doing 5 sections of RC in a row, every other day, timed? Good strategy?

Susan_Walid

Re: Drilling reading comp

Postby Susan_Walid » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:57 pm

anyone?

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Apply what you know from LR. Read the passage untimed, do the questions untimed. Does this change your score? If you know why you got answers wrong, then you just need to not make those mistakes. The questions tend to be 'predictable' to a degree. Learn what a passage is about, what the author thinks, if there's a comparison, the purpose of an analogy, etc. Very rarely does a question seem unique imo. It's hard to say what you should do if you don't identify what you're doing wrong. Also, work on getting games down to -0! I'm upset with myself if I miss one. I missed two today on a PT that could have very easily been the difference between getting into a school of my choice or waiting until June to hear back :/ Those are some of the most 'available' points. RC also, but I think they take more work. If anything, take solace in the answer being something you can reference in the passage like, every single time.

Lemon Lyman

Postby Lemon Lyman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Here's a link from a thread with great resources. I'd recommend the voyager model, although tune it to your personal preferences. I'm in a similar situation, I've been bombing RC lately but looked over voyager's methods and have gone -2 on the last two RC's on my PT's. While it is a small sample, it has helped to simply slow down when I read and focus on the overall theme of each paragraph while marking certain details in the passage. Best of luck!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127185

adagio15

Postby adagio15 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:23 pm

What would you recommend for someone who's gone through perhaps 90% of all the reading comp passages out there and saw a score go from -2/-3 in the beginning to -7/-9 now? :( I don't know if I built a mental block or something... I get to RC and I can't seem to find answers to anything/rush rush rush.

In retrospect when I check my answers, I can always find the correct answers in the text, but they somehow evade me under timed conditions. :\

I want to practice more, but I remember the gist of the passages so I feel like I'm not benefiting as much the second time around.

Strange

Postby Strange » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:29 pm

adagio15 wrote:What would you recommend for someone who's gone through perhaps 90% of all the reading comp passages out there and saw a score go from -2/-3 in the beginning to -7/-9 now? :( I don't know if I built a mental block or something... I get to RC and I can't seem to find answers to anything/rush rush rush.

In retrospect when I check my answers, I can always find the correct answers in the text, but they somehow evade me under timed conditions. :\

I want to practice more, but I remember the gist of the passages so I feel like I'm not benefiting as much the second time around.

were you scoring better on older tests? Starting in the mid 40s the reading sections get much harder.

adagio15

Postby adagio15 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:50 pm

The first couple sets were from PTs in the 50s, and I did fine. Then I was working through Kaplan's workbook, which broke down each of the 4 types of passages according to difficulty level. In general though, I probably performed worse as the PT became more recent...

I'm probably relying too much on memory to remember where key points are raised in the passage so when questions come up, I have to scan through a huge chunk of the passage before reaching the point. Contributes to my panicking when I can't scan quickly enough to fine something that matches one of the answer choices.

Susan - I guess from my experience, don't overload on doing RC after RC before targeting your weak spots/refining strategy really well after each section or even each passage. Otherwise, you'll be where I am with very few new passages to use. :? I wish I had timed passages in each section (give yourself 8:15 to 8:30) more to help with my timing issues during a full section. I always spend way too much time on the first two passages and end up scrambling by the 4th.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:13 pm

adagio, are you taking notes in the margins? I don't force myself to if I feel like it's an easy passage, but if a passage shows two alternative viewpoints, for example, I mark each of those and note supporting evidence for each. So then if a question asks about supporting evidence, I know which portions to jump to that contain that information.

At the very least, you should be keeping close attention to what the overall structure of the passage is. You should never have to scan much to find a specific statement. The questions about specific statements are designed to trick you by having answers that sound "kinda right", so if you rely on memory and aren't either totally certain or verifying in the text, you're going to pick wrong.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:02 am

My advice is to start reading complex texts for close to 3 hours a day. As an accounting major i found RC very hard because at my school we usually have power points for business classes and you can get good grades without doing nearly as much reading as most other majors.
After reading a 1200 page law text book over the summer i can read much quicker and actually finish the section and with time to spare. I used to only finish 3 passages half of the time.
So read, read, read, and read
The Economist has many articles which are very similar to the RC passages. I have their free app on my itouch

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”