Yale Undergrad and I can't score outside the 150s?!

TheFriendlyBarber

Re: Yale Undergrad and I can't score outside the 150s?!

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:22 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
I doubt you'd stand by this theory in truly egregious extremes, but I won't test your tolerance in order to prove my point.

As a general rule, mods are hesitant to delete/edit any inflammatory posts. We'd rather just lock and/or ban. We only edit out posts when they out identities of TLS posters.

Got it. Thanks.

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:41 am

californialiving wrote:Hi,
I'm an undergrad at Yale and am having a very hard time doing well on the LSAT. I got a 154 on my diagnostic, and after a 3 month course, half a dozen additional prepbooks and many hours of review I am scoring a ... 154. I am frustrated and am reconsidering a career in law.

I expected to do better on the LSAT as I am a good test taker and scored in the high 2200s on the SAT after a month of study.The Office of Career Services at my school says there are only 10 schools worth going to, and that it is a waste of money to go to any others (unless you are the very top of your class.) I am having particular trouble with LR, am OK at LG, and am good at RC. The Logic Games Bible has helped me significantly, and I have been able to increase my LG score (to -6 ish), and I continue to improve. However, my LR score has only gotten WORSE as I continue to study (from -6 initially to -9 or -10). I usually score -2 or -4 on RC. Timing is never an issue for me on any section.

In short, I am signed up for the Oct test and desperately need an LSAT miracle. Any advice? Especially for how to improve (rapidly) on LR?

I was in a similar situation as you, where after a few months of studying, I was still getting the same score as my diagnostic, or lower, even though I took my LG from -8 to -0. Posters on here suggested that it was probably just due to adjusting to using new techniques, which could be what is happening to you, so your score might get better after a few tests. I took a test a few days ago now and hit 166 (diagnostic:158, range 151-166), which is still lower than I'm hoping for (and it could have been a fluke), so I'm waiting until December. Have you considered waiting until December? I'm not certain, but I think it might be fairly difficult to go from 154 to 165+ in a week...although I suppose anything is possible.

Also, you mentioned that timing is never an issue for you. Do you find that you have time left over or are you just finishing the section within 30 seconds or so? If you do have extra time, maybe you are going through the questions too fast and aren't applying the methods you have learned. Also, are you reviewing LR? For me, thoroughly reviewing at least every LR question I get wrong, helps me to see some of the areas that the LSAT tries to trick us and little tips I can carry into the test. I review every question - but with the ones that slowed me down or I answered incorrectly, I write out the premises, conclusion, and then any piece of information that will help me to make that connection between the two - so maybe assumptions, or a causal flaw, etc.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:13 am

Keep the faith. Cornell grad here, now a 1L at a T14. Was getting in the 153-155 area on diags..spent an entire summer studying (kaplan course and self-study combined)..and got 163.
My scores kept improving as I kept prepping.
Wrote an awesome PS, had GPA higher than the 75Th percentile for my school and got in.
Plus got numerous scholarship offers for schools ranked T15-T25.
I suggest spending a summer studying.

richie222

Postby richie222 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:03 am

igo2northwestern wrote:
californialiving wrote: Timing is never an issue for me on any section.

i think the fact that timing is not an issue with you might actually be an issue, since the test is designed so you cant finish. I think if you slow down on LR you might actually see an improvement in your score. you don't want to rush through reading the argument. for assumption type questions, it is very important to read through the argument thoroughly so you can visualize the premise-conclusion where you can speed up is when you see what you think is the correct answer, choose it and move on. i don't think you will be able to shoot your score up in a week, but since your in undergrad still i don't think theres any reason why you couldnt retake , unless your a senior and wanting to start law school immediately after you graduate.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:06 am

Curious1 wrote:
californialiving wrote:Hi,
I'm an undergrad at Yale and am having a very hard time doing well on the LSAT. I got a 154 on my diagnostic, and after a 3 month course, half a dozen additional prepbooks and many hours of review I am scoring a ... 154. I am frustrated and am reconsidering a career in law.

I expected to do better on the LSAT as I am a good test taker and scored in the high 2200s on the SAT after a month of study.The Office of Career Services at my school says there are only 10 schools worth going to, and that it is a waste of money to go to any others (unless you are the very top of your class.) I am having particular trouble with LR, am OK at LG, and am good at RC. The Logic Games Bible has helped me significantly, and I have been able to increase my LG score (to -6 ish), and I continue to improve. However, my LR score has only gotten WORSE as I continue to study (from -6 initially to -9 or -10). I usually score -2 or -4 on RC. Timing is never an issue for me on any section.

In short, I am signed up for the Oct test and desperately need an LSAT miracle. Any advice? Especially for how to improve (rapidly) on LR?

Hey there, I'm at Yale too--and would be happy to help out if you have any questions or need any explanations. What's your GPA? If it's amazing then why not get into banking or consulting?

BTW the law school counselors at Yale are totally useless. They actually TOLD ME "most people apply around November, there's no need to apply earlier than that."

Ummm, that is correct, there is no need to apply before November. Wow, Yale's career services is honest AND knowledgeable. I guess thats why its Yale.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:13 am

Wait.... someone who goes to Yale is BAD AT SOMETHING? The sky is falling!

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:32 am

paratactical wrote:Wait.... someone who goes to Yale is BAD AT SOMETHING? The sky is falling!

jesus why were you the only person to latch onto this?

"when i lived in new haven..."

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:59 am

YourCaptain wrote:
paratactical wrote:Wait.... someone who goes to Yale is BAD AT SOMETHING? The sky is falling!

jesus why were you the only person to latch onto this?

"when i lived in new haven..."

"Where'd you go to college?"
"A small school in New Haven."

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:59 am

Oh, TLS.

tehrocstar

Postby tehrocstar » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Yeah..this is most disturbing, the presumption that being "smart" enough (or w/e other reason) to enter Yale, would automatically confer a high LSAT score. Maybe this is why OP can't score higher than the 150's.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:33 pm

ITT: multiple users rock out with their (small) cocks out.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:12 pm

I love how much more attention/sympathy this thread is getting because he put he was a "yale undergrad" as if that means something when it comes to the LSAT

Run!

Postby Run! » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:39 pm

glucose101 wrote:I love how much more attention/sympathy this thread is getting because he put he was a "yale undergrad" as if that means something when it comes to the LSAT

If the quoted figure of Yale alum mean LSATs is correct (165), I would venture a guess they likely have a top 5-10 mean LSAT ranking. So yes, it seems like going to Yale 'means something' with regards to the LSAT.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:47 pm

Ya done gone to Yale so you're probably good at book learnin' so a git yerself a book on symbolic logic, or take a course at yonder school house

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:57 pm

tehrocstar wrote:

Yeah..this is most disturbing, the presumption that being "smart" enough (or w/e other reason) to enter Yale, would automatically confer a high LSAT score. Maybe this is why OP can't score higher than the 150's.

I thought it was a flame when I first read it.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Run! wrote:
glucose101 wrote:I love how much more attention/sympathy this thread is getting because he put he was a "yale undergrad" as if that means something when it comes to the LSAT

If the quoted figure of Yale alum mean LSATs is correct (165), I would venture a guess they likely have a top 5-10 mean LSAT ranking. So yes, it seems like going to Yale 'means something' with regards to the LSAT.

Just because your school has a mean LSAT doesn't mean squat, with this person in case in point. All I can tell the OP is work hard like every that wants to get into law school has to do.
Last edited by glucose101 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:02 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:I doubt you'd stand by this theory in truly egregious extremes, but I won't test your tolerance in order to prove my point.

God you suck.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:04 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:ITT: multiple users rock out with their (small) cocks out.

Well you're quite pretentious aren't you

sfamor

Postby sfamor » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:06 pm

I would delay your application for a year not only so that you can get some extra help with the LSAT (private tutoring might be a good idea to try since the prep class wasn't as effective as you had hoped), but also because you'll be more desirable to law schools after having had "real world experience." You'll have more to offer to schools if you have been working or volunteering for a year and therefore more chances at admission then if you just took the LSAT now, got a mediocre score and applied anyways hoping to go right out of undergrad. It's very common to wait a year so don't feel like you're somehow missing out or behind the pack and future employers will value that you have had some work experience.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:10 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:ITT: multiple users rock out with their (small) cocks out.

Hello.

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:10 pm

TheFriendlyBarber is absolutely insufferable.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:02 pm

MrKappus wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:I doubt you'd stand by this theory in truly egregious extremes, but I won't test your tolerance in order to prove my point.

God you suck.

Yes.

Redzo wrote:TheFriendlyBarber is absolutely insufferable.

True. And if you can't stand me, imagine how insufferable it is for me--I have to live with myself!

minnbills wrote:Well you're quite pretentious aren't you

Not really. I just find it ridiculous that so many others came in here to take shots at the OP for thinking that a typical Yale undergrad should be scoring higher than 150 something. The OP comes off pretentious and naive, sure, but his assailants come off looking petulant and insecure. And, of course, I come out looking like a docuhe. But I'm still working on that one.
Last edited by TheFriendlyBarber on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:15 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:True. And if you can't stand me, imagine how insufferable it is for me having to live with myself.

But no one cares if you're miserable.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:17 pm

MrKappus wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:True. And if you can't stand me, imagine how insufferable it is for me having to live with myself.

But no one cares if you're miserable.

Haha. You seem to be the bleeding heart type, though. I'm sure a part of you weeps for me.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:52 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

God you suck.

Yes.

Redzo wrote:TheFriendlyBarber is absolutely insufferable.

True. And if you can't stand me, imagine how insufferable it is for me--I have to live with myself!

minnbills wrote:Well you're quite pretentious aren't you

Not really. I just find it ridiculous that so many others came in here to take shots at the OP for thinking that a typical Yale undergrad should be scoring higher than 150 something. The OP comes off pretentious and naive, sure, but his assailants come off looking petulant and insecure. And, of course, I come out looking like a docuhe. But I'm still working on that one.

just stop dude really

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”