Yale Undergrad and I can't score outside the 150s?! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
californialiving

New

Yale Undergrad and I can't score outside the 150s?!

Post by californialiving » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi,
I'm an undergrad at Yale and am having a very hard time doing well on the LSAT. I got a 154 on my diagnostic, and after a 3 month course, half a dozen additional prepbooks and many hours of review I am scoring a ... 154. I am frustrated and am reconsidering a career in law.

I expected to do better on the LSAT as I am a good test taker and scored in the high 2200s on the SAT after a month of study.The Office of Career Services at my school says there are only 10 schools worth going to, and that it is a waste of money to go to any others (unless you are the very top of your class.) I am having particular trouble with LR, am OK at LG, and am good at RC. The Logic Games Bible has helped me significantly, and I have been able to increase my LG score (to -6 ish), and I continue to improve. However, my LR score has only gotten WORSE as I continue to study (from -6 initially to -9 or -10). I usually score -2 or -4 on RC. Timing is never an issue for me on any section.

In short, I am signed up for the Oct test and desperately need an LSAT miracle. Any advice? Especially for how to improve (rapidly) on LR?

minnbills

Gold

Re: Yale Undergrad and I can't score outside the 150s?!

Post by minnbills » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:48 pm

californialiving wrote: The Office of Career Services at my school says there are only 10 schools worth going to
They actually said that?

futurelawstudent1

New

Post by futurelawstudent1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Most athletes and black students at Ivy league schools probably can't score above 160, so if you belong to one of those groups, you shouldn't be surprised.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:05 pm

futurelawstudent1 wrote:Most athletes and black students at Ivy league schools probably can't score above 160, so if you belong to one of those groups, you shouldn't be surprised.
wow....this is an incredibly offensive comment.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:08 pm

futurelawstudent1 wrote:Most athletes and black students at Ivy league schools probably can't score above 160, so if you belong to one of those groups, you shouldn't be surprised.
holy shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 pm

lol

banned.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Delay taking the test. You can prep your way to a higher score. The Yale name will make up for a little bit in admissions, but you'll still need a good LSAT. Follow the advice circulating this forum and maybe try to find work for a year and apply next cycle. Good luck!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Grampa?

igo2northwestern

Bronze

Post by igo2northwestern » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:15 pm

californialiving wrote:Hi,
I'm an undergrad at Yale and am having a very hard time doing well on the LSAT. I got a 154 on my diagnostic, and after a 3 month course, half a dozen additional prepbooks and many hours of review I am scoring a ... 154. I am frustrated and am reconsidering a career in law.

I expected to do better on the LSAT as I am a good test taker and scored in the high 2200s on the SAT after a month of study.The Office of Career Services at my school says there are only 10 schools worth going to, and that it is a waste of money to go to any others (unless you are the very top of your class.) I am having particular trouble with LR, am OK at LG, and am good at RC. The Logic Games Bible has helped me significantly, and I have been able to increase my LG score (to -6 ish), and I continue to improve. However, my LR score has only gotten WORSE as I continue to study (from -6 initially to -9 or -10). I usually score -2 or -4 on RC. Timing is never an issue for me on any section.

In short, I am signed up for the Oct test and desperately need an LSAT miracle. Any advice? Especially for how to improve (rapidly) on LR?
Shouldn't a minus 30 total (10, 10, 6, 4) get you higher than 154?

Anyways, have you considered taking a class / getting a personal tutor? Perhaps you need an instructor to help you apply the rules of the game to various LR arguments/facts.

For October, that's gona be tough... first retake another practice exams to see if your 154 was a fluke; and if it isn't, then postpone your test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:17 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
lol

banned.
Thank you for nipping that in the bud before this turned into an 8 page shitfit <3

OP, delay until you feel you have reached your peak. I think you owe it to yourself to do the best you can.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:18 pm

kwais wrote:
holy shit.
Not really a surprising statement given all the dumb ass shit littered throughout his post history.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Maybe you should evaluate alternatives to coming to law school.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:22 pm

IAFG wrote:Maybe you should evaluate alternatives to coming to law school.
I am frustrated and am reconsidering a career in law.
Brilliant suggestion, clearly something OP has not considered.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:30 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
I'm encouraging OP to take that to a next step- from "not law" to "what things other than law?" By actually looking into things he could do that aren't law, it may become even more clear that law is not the right call.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:33 pm

Hell the mean LSAT at Yale is only 165. Shouldn't be surprising that someone from there can't get above 160.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=74320

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:34 pm

IAFG wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
I'm encouraging OP to take that to a next step- from "not law" to "what things other than law?" By actually looking into things he could do that aren't law, it may become even more clear that law is not the right call.
That's fair. And a good idea.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Which 10 schools did your counselor recommend? I presume the T10. I am also an ivy grad (not Yalie) but got a 163; very high gpa..got into a t14. Keep the faith.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Hey there, I'm at Yale too--and would be happy to help out if you have any questions or need any explanations. What's your GPA? If it's amazing then why not get into banking or consulting?

BTW the law school counselors at Yale are totally useless. They actually TOLD ME "most people apply around November, there's no need to apply earlier than that."

Bronze

Post by 4910 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:22 pm

lol wut? your post history was amusing as well

SarahKerrigan

Bronze

Post by SarahKerrigan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:44 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Hell the mean LSAT at Yale is only 165. Shouldn't be surprising that someone from there can't get above 160.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=74320
Thats an interesting thread, i haven't seen it before. Really makes me wonder how many people either take the LSAT just to see what they will get, or take it without much study because they don't care what law school they get into.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:45 pm

lol

banned.
It would be helpful if you would redact his/her inflammatory post as to avoid the shitshow that is sure to follow.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:48 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
lol

banned.
It would be helpful if you would redact his/her inflammatory post as to avoid the shitshow that is sure to follow.
Shit show?

Aint no shit show going on...if it happens, then I'll handle it. Dude can say what he wants; I'm not into censorship. He just has to deal with the consequences of his words, that's all.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:51 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
lol

banned.
TBH anyone who couldn't figure out that was a flame is probably helpless anyways.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:48 am

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
lol

banned.
Shit show?

Aint no shit show going on...if it happens, then I'll handle it. Dude can say what he wants; I'm not into censorship. He just has to deal with the consequences of his words, that's all.
I doubt you'd stand by this theory in truly egregious extremes, but I won't test your tolerance in order to prove my point.

minnbills wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
lol

banned.
TBH anyone who couldn't figure out that was a flame is probably helpless anyways.
True.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:15 am

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
I doubt you'd stand by this theory in truly egregious extremes, but I won't test your tolerance in order to prove my point.
As a general rule, mods are hesitant to delete/edit any inflammatory posts. We'd rather just lock and/or ban. We only edit out posts when they out identities of TLS posters.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”