10 weeks to a 180

imjustjoking22

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby imjustjoking22 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:30 pm

180asBreath wrote:I just got rejected from the school I really wanted (a CCN) and it looks like I'll be giving it another go, next year.

Looks like Saturday is 100 days away from the June test.

100 days to a 180?

What are your numbers now, if you don't mind me asking?

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:39 pm

lsatprepguy wrote:
180asBreath wrote:I just got rejected from the school I really wanted (a CCN) and it looks like I'll be giving it another go, next year.

100 days to a 180?

I will be starting my prep on Saturday as well. Retaking a 170, shooting for 174+...
Would be willing to join and update in this thread for studying/motivation

I'd like that, man. Chester, Alex, Jeffort, Tiago, Sublime, and Cali played such a big role in motivating me - I don't think I could have done - what little I did - without them.

I am sitting between 3.9-4.0 and 166-168.

With several 170's under the belt and 3 months of intelligent, slow and steady studying (no stressing about studying enough and no killing myself) - there is no doubt that I could walk into June with a 176+ average in my last 10 PT's.

If I am able to get to that point, then I will position myself for a score that won't hold me back from pursuing a legal education at my desired school.

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:42 am

180asBreath wrote:
lsatprepguy wrote:

100 days to a 180?

I will be starting my prep on Saturday as well. Retaking a 170, shooting for 174+...

I'd like that, man. Chester, Alex, Jeffort, Tiago, Sublime, and Cali played such a big role in motivating me - I don't think I could have done - what little I did - without them.

With several 170's under the belt and 3 months of intelligent, slow and steady studying (no stressing about studying enough and no killing myself) - there is no doubt that I could walk into June with a 176+ average in my last 10 PT's.

If I am able to get to that point, then I will position myself for a score that won't hold me back from pursuing a legal education at my desired school.

Good luck man. Even though I underperformed, and most of us did :(, You guys were great motivation and I enjoyed this thread and the journey!
I know you can do it. I started teaching the LSAT on the side and truly love it. Probably going to retake the LSAT in June for Scholarship Money (possibly) and also for my Tutoring / Teaching credibility!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:04 am

180asBreath wrote:
lsatprepguy wrote:

100 days to a 180?

Thank you for mentioning me. I've been following your thread from day one and hoping the best for you.

Keep up the motivation. You have a near perfect GPA as well as a respectable LSAT score already in your pocket.

Don't let the rejection from whatever CCN school get you down. Nobody, even with perfect numbers and great soft factors gets accepted to every law school they apply to.

I'm not sure what your current plans are since you are in the application cycle and thinking about taking the LSAT again, which could mean you are going to push off to next cycle or try to boost things in this application cycle by taking the test again in June.

As I said before, you are one of the most motivated LSAT test takers I've encountered on the discussion forums in many years. That is a very good thing, especially given the workload you will have to manage once in law school to hit grades that will rank you in the top of your class.

Shoot me a PM with additional details that you may not want to post publicly as things happen if you want additional guidance while you navigate this cycle. I'll give you my gmail address I use to talk to students and even a phone# I have just for LSAT and law school students.

I really want you to achieve your goals and believe you are smart and motivated enough to do so based on your posts here.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:38 am

Jeffort, thanks for the post; I really appreciated your words.

I'll shoot you a PM when I get a chance.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:49 am

To the fans and everybody in LSAT nation, I'm sorry, I'm extremely sorry. I was hoping for a 180, that was my goal, something I had never done.

I promise you one thing, a lot of good will come out of this. You will never see any LSAT taker in the entire country study as hard as I will study until the June test. You will never see someone push the rest of my fellow LSAT studiers as hard as I will push everybody until the June test.

You will never see a group study harder than we will until that test. God Bless.

phasoranalysis

Postby phasoranalysis » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:17 pm

Lol...

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:57 pm

Tiago won the thread, for sure.

Definitely not going to law school, this year.

I'm getting too old for this shit, but I am ready for another 10 weeks to a 180 thread on Monday.

My prep will include e-mailing Jeffort, TONS of reading, purposeful drilling of all LR, MORE READING, only a decent amount of PT's, and daily LG practice.

LET'S FRIGGIN DO THIS!!!

180asBreath

Re: 10 weeks to a 167

Postby 180asBreath » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Haha, nice April fool's day joke by the mod!

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:03 pm

180asBreath wrote:
lsatprepguy wrote:
167 wrote:I just got rejected from the school I really wanted (a CCN) and it looks like I'll be giving it another go, next year.

100 days to a 167?

Hey! Thanks for mentioning me too. Came into the LSAT forum to check up on you guys. I'm down here in South America for Peace Corps and all's good...definitely don't miss studying for the LSAT in the least. blegh! looks like there's been some good progress, though, yeah? I have so much free time that I've been on these boards a lot just making sure that my decision to apply in 2 cycles is the right one. I'm pretty sure it still is.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey, hope you're doing well down there!

I've actually missed the LSAT. I'm really hoping to do well in June and finally get my 170; I am going to be really deliberate in my prep with the intention of gaining a deep understanding of the concepts. I actually hope to tutor the LSAT later on, so a 170 will give me the credibility I need.

It's all good, but tomorrow it begins.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:59 am

Can't believe I just read every single post in this thread. Definitely pumped me up. Lots of good info. Thanks guys.

AbbeyRoadLaw

Postby AbbeyRoadLaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Hey guys, hope you don't mind if I join in this study group. I am also taking the June LSAT and hope to get a 170+ and get a good (or just a) scholarship to a Tier 1 school. I took my first practice test yesterday after a few weeks of drilling:

4/14/2012 PT#44- RC(-3) LR1(-2) LG(-1) LR2(-7). Raw Score: 87; LSAT Score: 167

I was fairly pleased with this start, but feel I should have done better after missed 7(!) on the final section. I think it may have been fatigue, but I felt good taking it. Must have picked the attractive answer choices and not the CRs. I will look over this test in detail tonight to see where i erred. How is your guys' studying going

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Hey all,

I hope everyone is doing well. After the monumental let-down of last winter, I am doing great. I am doing a really cool internship abroad that is helping me both professionally and personally. Its quite nice to be out of the Heartland, though I do miss it!

Anyway, recap:

My 160 did not get me into Boalt - as expected, so I will be retaking in June.

After taking several weeks off after the Dec test, I started studying again in late Jan and early Feb. Although I knew a lot of the material, I was still doing very well. Three 174s. I haven't touched any LSAT material since early March. I will probably pick it back up this week or next.

When I go back to test day, I remember being extremely exausted, and having lost virtually all perspective - this on top of having nicotene and caffeine withdrawals. Excuses, excuses. But I know I can do better than a 160. After 5 months of studying, I should be able to scored better than 1 point above my diagnostic.

My plan is to take the LSAT until I can be assured that I am T14 bound, or by the looks of the new rankings, T7 or one other. Which indeed ultimately means I will be taking the October test as well.

There will be an entirely different approach for me this time around. At least two days off a week, lots of reading, and lots of sleep and exercise.

The biggest difference will be not treating the LSAT as some all-important threshold in which I can rise above the confines of the Heartland and a more humble upbringing and achieve greatness. I have had the pleasure to meet some great people lately, coming from all different backgrounds. Yes, they have had to differentiate themselves from the rest with a good test score and hard work, but I have already done this. A 160 is not bad and, all-together, I have a pretty exceptional law school application considering where I have come from. I am proud of myself.

I look back at myself via these posts and I can't help but feel a bit ashamed. Somewhere during the course of my LSAT studying I became a different person.

From now on, there's a new me. It might not come out in these messages but I can assure you I've changed.

Let's do this, guys. Let's all pull together for one last go at this. We are all getting into one of our targets next cycle.

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:13 pm

180asBreath wrote:Hey, hope you're doing well down there!

I've actually missed the LSAT. I'm really hoping to do well in June and finally get my 170; I am going to be really deliberate in my prep with the intention of gaining a deep understanding of the concepts. I actually hope to tutor the LSAT later on, so a 170 will give me the credibility I need.

It's all good, but tomorrow it begins.

I've kind of missed it too :)

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:14 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
180asBreath wrote:
lsatprepguy wrote:
167 wrote:I just got rejected from the school I really wanted (a CCN) and it looks like I'll be giving it another go, next year.

100 days to a 167?

Hey! Thanks for mentioning me too. Came into the LSAT forum to check up on you guys. I'm down here in South America for Peace Corps and all's good...definitely don't miss studying for the LSAT in the least. blegh! looks like there's been some good progress, though, yeah? I have so much free time that I've been on these boards a lot just making sure that my decision to apply in 2 cycles is the right one. I'm pretty sure it still is.

Enjoy South America, Cali!

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm the worst; I haven't looked at a single question since December. 7 weeks left so I need to get back in gear, tomorrow. I've made too many excuses about being too busy with work/school, as nothing excuses not making this one's top priority - or at least a top priority.

It's all good, moving forward.

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Sup guys.

Retaking for Scholarship $$$. Took TWO PT's already in the last 12 days. One about a week ago and one today.

PT 39: LR1(-2), LR2(-4), LG(-2) RC(-7): 169
PT 40: LR1(-0) WOOT, LR2(-3) Stupid Mistakes, LG(-1) with the planes game, RC(-5): 172

Definitely need to work on reading comp....

Plan on doing 2-3 PT's a week. With finals coming up it'll be tough but I'll try to haul through.

We can do this.

princeR

Postby princeR » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:05 pm

@calexhg88

Great post about your new approach, I feel the exact same way this go around. For the December test I was SO stressed out, I was burning myself out and any moment I wasn't studying I felt guitly, it was horrible. I wasn't progressing and I kept making excuses. I let the LSAT consume me and in the end, well, it won. I slept for probably 2 hours the night before, like you said, no excuses, but still, I didn't go in feeling very good.

For the June test I started around January and have been working full time, volunteering, as well as working out, pretty much having a regular life. Instead of grueling 6 hour study days I space it out, doing about 2 hours a day, sometimes 3. I also just started taking PTs and will only take 11 full timed PTs this time around, giving myself 4 days or so between them to ensure that I review them properly and am not just taking PT after PT in the hopes of magically increasing my score.

Ya man, it is just a test, don't forget that. I'm loving your new attitude, it just really reminds me of myself this second go around. Good luck!

AbbeyRoadLaw

Postby AbbeyRoadLaw » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Hey all, hope your studying is treating you well!

I just finished PT 45 and here were the results:
LR1: -3, LR2:-3, RC:-7, LG:-1 for a score of 169.

Pretty excited; that makes two 167s and a 169 in the past 2 weeks. I seem to fall victim to the "disaster section" that kills my score. I need to get a little bit more consistent with RC. LR is usually -0 to -3 and usually contains a careless error (i have to stay diligent), and LG is -0 to -1, but RC fluctuates between -3 to -8ish, so i need to hone that down with a little extra work. I finished every section without rushing, which was nice, so my timing seems to be down.

My goal is a 170 or above in June, so we're all in the same boat :)

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:29 pm

hey all, popping in to say hey!

back in the states due to some unforeseeable/irreconcilable security issues, and sooooo happy. have to kill a year now before LS but will be applying a year earlier than originally planned! woohoo! looking at jobs and eating all the delicious food i can.

i miss the lsat. go figure :lol:

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:21 pm

Started back up today with PT44. Waiting until tomorrow to grade it, though.

1st part was rough - RC, RC, LR. 1st RC completely unfamiliar and I didn't get to an entire passage, the 2nd one was familiar and I did quite well (I think). The LR was tricky as well, didn't get to 4 questions. Ugh.

2nd part was much better - LG, LR. Aced the LG and perhaps aced the LR as well.

Where is everyone else at in their prep?

- Alex

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon May 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Just wanted to drop and wish you further luck/good studying 180. This thread helped motivate me back in the fall and I wouldn't have made it without it. (Even if I just lurked) I think y'all will do it. I have faith.

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:25 am

How is everyone's studying going?

I got my first 180 the other day - albeit on one that I was fairly familiar with.

The one just prior was a 171 and the one after was a 174.

I am feeling pretty confident. I am able to read much faster and more efficiently this time around, it has been paying dividends.

2 weeks until test day. Here's to hoping that our score is somewhere close to practice PT average, and here's to hoping that a perfect storm will not be brewing on test day to keep me from a high 160 score so I can get rid of that stupid 160 I got in December.

Cheers!

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Who in here took the June?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”