10 weeks to a 180

tronredo

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby tronredo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:21 pm

Hey guys.

I was so disappointed with my score. Did everything i could do. Took a 3 week vacation before the test just to focus on this but the worst happened.

Still analyzing my options about what i should do not. I can't sit out for the next cycle. I really need to go to law school this fall.

If anyone can give me advice on what i could do, i would greatly appreciate it..

December score - 150
First diagnostic - 156
Average practice score before test - 171

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:54 pm

tronredo wrote:Hey guys.

I was so disappointed with my score. Did everything i could do. Took a 3 week vacation before the test just to focus on this but the worst happened.

Still analyzing my options about what i should do not. I can't sit out for the next cycle. I really need to go to law school this fall.

If anyone can give me advice on what i could do, i would greatly appreciate it..

December score - 150
First diagnostic - 156

This is literally what happened to me and to make it even worse my cold diagnostic was 158, so I scored even below that. I may not be the person to give advice but I'll share how I'm approaching this time. I'm using the 5 month schedule from the LSAT Blog. I also purchased the logic games repetition workbooks so I can work on my games (although you can photocopy games 3 times like pithy suggested). I invested in the LSAT Challenge book too so I can just keep drilling my problem area (for me it's logical reasoning). I figure that I might end up doing a combo of the 5 months schedule I purchased with some pithy and Manhattan thrown in. I need all the help I can get.

SublimeStyle

Postby SublimeStyle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:00 pm

172, pretty pissed cause I was averaging 177 during practice tests. I need at least a 176 to stand a chance at the T14 due to my 2.8 GPA, although URM status may help a bit. I can't look up a damn thing on LSN because there are only 2 people on the entire website who are URMs with my extreme splitter numbers.

Retaking in June, 180 gonna be cake. Studied 2 weeks for december, gonna study 2 months for june.

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:50 am

AVG PT: 169.

Baseline: 148
Oct. 11: 155
Dec. 11: 163

Gonna apply and see what happens. But probably gonna take a year off and retake next june or october. What do you guys think?

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Too bad you can't take it at any time like the GRE; I'd be taking it today, if I could!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:24 pm

tronredo wrote:Hey guys.

December score - 150
First diagnostic - 156

Stop it. No one has to go to law school. A 150 means you'll be paying full price at a school not worth going to for free. You know that.

Now step back and find something productive to do for a little while, study hard for June, and crush it.

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Looked over the one's i got wrong with a fresh perspective. Should've only had -12 for a 171 :(. Hate MYSELF.

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:47 am

Just took a couple days to detox. Curbed my caffeine addiction and killed my nicotene one. Anyway, I have come to terms with what happened and I am 100% going to retake.

I plan to start back tomorrow by going to the library and checking out some books. I plan to read at least 2 books a week until test day(s). I always got out of reading assignments in my undergrad by taking good notes. So my reading skills and my vocabulary are pretty poor. It´s hard to guess how big of an effect this has on my LSAT but I know it does at least a little. Anyway, I figure, even if it doesn't help me much on the LSAT, it will help me in law school.

I don´t know when I´ll start touching my LSAT material again. I feel like I should keep it fresh instead of going at it cold in March/April. How are you guys approaching your retake?

New thread: 5 months to a 180?

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm not 100% sure on a retake. I'm gonna apply to T14 and see what happens. Most people are telling me retake, and I know I should, but I"m gonna wing it and see what happens. Worst case scenario I wasted application $$$. I may start taking PT's in February. Like once a week to keep my mind fresh if I need to buckle down for june or october.

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Law School Predictor is giving me a 43% shot at Berkeley. So, according to them, I guess there´s a 43% chance I won´t need a retake.

According to my calculations however, there´s about a 95% chance I will :) I have a 3.9 LSDAS, acceptable softs and an URM (being from KY is a minority right? kidding. it can´t hurt though.) Anyway, I still don´t see myself getting so lucky. It can´t happen, can it?

I´ll start my prep soon anyway. Should I somehow miraculously be accepted I´ll just accept the wasted prep as punishment for being a complete /(//&(/)&)(&/() from November - December 3.

Chester, what´s your GPA? In my opinion (if I am even entitled to have one since I am seriously a complete noob at this), if it´s over 3.7 or so, I think it´s somewhat likely that you will be accepted to a T-14. Sure, you are out of the LSAT range. But, you have an outside chance of getting into a handful of different, I think you fill the void that one of them is searching for. I´d put off the prep if I were you. Again, I am totally speculating.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:20 pm

If I get wait listed by my dream school, I'll start prepping that moment.

Until then, I'm hoping the little LSAT score that could... does.

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:57 am

calexhg88 wrote:Law School Predictor is giving me a 43% shot at Berkeley. So, according to them, I guess there´s a 43% chance I won´t need a retake.

According to my calculations however, there´s about a 95% chance I will :) I have a 3.9 LSDAS, acceptable softs and an URM (being from KY is a minority right? kidding. it can´t hurt though.) Anyway, I still don´t see myself getting so lucky. It can´t happen, can it?

I´ll start my prep soon anyway. Should I somehow miraculously be accepted I´ll just accept the wasted prep as punishment for being a complete /(//&(/)&)(&/() from November - December 3.

Chester, what´s your GPA? In my opinion (if I am even entitled to have one since I am seriously a complete noob at this), if it´s over 3.7 or so, I think it´s somewhat likely that you will be accepted to a T-14. Sure, you are out of the LSAT range. But, you have an outside chance of getting into a handful of different, I think you fill the void that one of them is searching for. I´d put off the prep if I were you. Again, I am totally speculating.

Calex,

I have a 3.87! I think I can 'hopefully' land a T14. If I do, I probably won't retake. Even though it hurts that I was capable of 170+ But Messed up :(. Lets see what happens!

What do you guys think, June or October? I have school so it'll be tough to do the June but applying First week = HUGE Advantage though.

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:32 pm

chesterfan1230 wrote:
calexhg88 wrote:Law School Predictor is giving me a 43% shot at Berkeley. So, according to them, I guess there´s a 43% chance I won´t need a retake.

Calex,

I have a 3.87! I think I can 'hopefully' land a T14. If I do, I probably won't retake. Even though it hurts that I was capable of 170+ But Messed up :(. Lets see what happens!

What do you guys think, June or October? I have school so it'll be tough to do the June but applying First week = HUGE Advantage though.

I got a 160, PT average was 170. So yeah.... at least you didn´t mess up as bad as me.

More bad news, I thought my GPA was a 3.9, however, turns out that is my degree granting institution GPA. Factor in the TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I went to in my freshmen year, a 3.77. Not a huge deal, but I´m ready for something about this law school admissions thing to go my way.

June and October for me - unless I get a great score in June of course. I think you should do June too, you already know the material, so a light prep will probably be best anyway.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but you should take a year or two off before you go to law school, it will make you more attractive - assuming you are still in undergrading

I plan to bust out the LSAT material to start jogging my memory. I will be very careful not to burn myself out this time. Seriously, 10 point drop!!!! 19 points from my best!!! Absurd. OK, I'm done. Qué será será.

princeR

Postby princeR » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:46 pm

calexhg88 wrote:
chesterfan1230 wrote:

Calex,

I got a 160, PT average was 170. So yeah.... at least you didn´t mess up as bad as me.

More bad news, I thought my GPA was a 3.9, however, turns out that is my degree granting institution GPA. Factor in the TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I went to in my freshmen year, a 3.77. Not a huge deal, but I´m ready for something about this law school admissions thing to go my way.

June and October for me - unless I get a great score in June of course. I think you should do June too, you already know the material, so a light prep will probably be best anyway.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but you should take a year or two off before you go to law school, it will make you more attractive - assuming you are still in undergrading

I plan to bust out the LSAT material to start jogging my memory. I will be very careful not to burn myself out this time. Seriously, 10 point drop!!!! 19 points from my best!!! Absurd. OK, I'm done. Qué será será.

How do you calculate your lsac gpa?

SublimeStyle

Postby SublimeStyle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:49 pm

princeR wrote:
calexhg88 wrote:
chesterfan1230 wrote:

Calex,

How do you calculate your lsac gpa?

submit your transcript to lsac and they'll do it for you. lawschoolpredictor.com also has this gpa calculator: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:00 am

So I did ED to UVA and applied to a lot of T14's. I have a 3.87 LSAC GPA and a 163. Above average softs. Strong PS and Strong LOR.

I don't think I'll get into any T14's.

I have a 155 Oct 11, and a 163 Dec 11. Going to retake in October if I don't get into any T14's. June isn't an option for me right now. I'm thinking that if my ED to UVA doesn't go through, I'll take 1 PT a month till may to kinda keep my skills active then once graduation passes I'll get back hardcore from June- October. 4 Months will be MORE than enough to really prepare myself.

What do you all think?

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:09 am

I wouldn´t be so quick to say you won´t get in. You never know.

I am retaking in June (and October if I need to) and the more I look at my LSAT material the more I realize the less I actually need to study LSAT material. No doubt I studied too much last time around.

I do not read so well, and I do not have a strong vocabulary, so I am reading a lot and prepping that way. Is there an area in which you are particularly weak? If, for example, you have problems with spatial reasoning, you should do some Sudoku puzzles. Doing those will help you as much as doing LGs will in terms of improving your spatial analysis.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Good luck with apps, guys.

I went all-in, applying to most of the schools I'd like to go to. If I get a few strokes of luck, I'll never have to look at LSAT prep materials - again. If not, I'll start prepping in a couple of months for June.

Best of luck!

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:53 pm

calexhg88 wrote:I wouldn´t be so quick to say you won´t get in. You never know.

I am retaking in June (and October if I need to) and the more I look at my LSAT material the more I realize the less I actually need to study LSAT material. No doubt I studied too much last time around.

I do not read so well, and I do not have a strong vocabulary, so I am reading a lot and prepping that way. Is there an area in which you are particularly weak? If, for example, you have problems with spatial reasoning, you should do some Sudoku puzzles. Doing those will help you as much as doing LGs will in terms of improving your spatial analysis.

My weakest section and I generally make a few stupid mistakes in LR and LG that cost me. I need to work on RC though. What should I try reading on a daily basis now?

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:45 pm

GOT INTO U VA THROUGH ED. Guess I'm going there. SO HAPPY =)

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:04 pm

chesterfan1230 wrote:GOT INTO U VA THROUGH ED. Guess I'm going there. SO HAPPY =)

Congratulations! As you can see, you got the score you needed; 160/165/170/175, each score is just a means to an end. You have done it; good for you!

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm

180asBreath wrote:
chesterfan1230 wrote:GOT INTO U VA THROUGH ED. Guess I'm going there. SO HAPPY =)

Congratulations! As you can see, you got the score you needed; 160/165/170/175, each score is just a means to an end. You have done it; good for you!

Thanks man. Keep us posted on your cycle.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Congratulations Image

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:25 pm

I just got rejected from the school I really wanted (a CCN) and it looks like I'll be giving it another go, next year.

Looks like Saturday is 100 days away from the June test.

100 days to a 180?

lsatprepguy

Postby lsatprepguy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:19 pm

180asBreath wrote:I just got rejected from the school I really wanted (a CCN) and it looks like I'll be giving it another go, next year.

Looks like Saturday is 100 days away from the June test.

100 days to a 180?

I will be starting my prep on Saturday as well. Retaking a 170, shooting for 174+...
Would be willing to join and update in this thread for studying/motivation

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”