10 weeks to a 180 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
calexhg88

Bronze

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Post by calexhg88 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:16 pm

that looks like a nice curve there! I just missed 10 and got a 170.

chesterfan1230

Bronze

Post by chesterfan1230 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:36 pm

180asBreath wrote:PT 62:

LR1: -5
LR2: -3
RC: -1
LG: -1
RCX: -4

-10 for a 173.

Best RC, yet. LR felt rough. Oh well, not too bad.

Can't wait till I take the next December one and really exploit that curve ;)
Sick. Great job man... I wish I could bang out Reading comp like you do.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Yeah, LR was super rough - I'm thinking of doing the 11-25, 1-10.

It was a -14 curve, just like the December test before it. Good thing Saturday's test will have a -15 curve ;)

chesterfan1230

Bronze

Post by chesterfan1230 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:18 am

180asBreath wrote:Yeah, LR was super rough - I'm thinking of doing the 11-25, 1-10.

It was a -14 curve, just like the December test before it. Good thing Saturday's test will have a -15 curve ;)
That would be amazing.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:32 pm

How's everyone doing?

Tmon, how are the PT's going?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sportgirl234

New

Post by sportgirl234 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:40 pm

i will be the happiest girl in the world if we have a -15 curve. i think that the games on this exam might be a little more challenging (more grouping/in and out games than sequencing) but overall I know that everyone is going to do amazing!

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Just took PT 55 this morning (Oct 08) which I had taken before for a lousy 165 back in August.

This morning...

LR1: -1
RC: -1
LR2: -0 (uh what this has never happened, but again I'm assuming that the fact I've seen the questions before and reviewed them with TM accounts for this boost)
LG: -1 :cry:

for a 178!!! This was a tough curve too... -9 for a 170??? Come on...

Just one more PT for me to take..I'm thinking Wednesday. Will do some review and timed sections throughout the week, but for the most part now I'm just trying to chill and stay calm. I've been at this since June-ish so there's nothing now that I have left to learn/can learn in less than a week...it's mostly just staying relaxed during the test, reading carefully, and not freezing up. :lol: LET'S DO THIS!!!

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:35 pm

That's sexy! -3 would have been a 180 on the last two December tests.

Yeah, it's just about staying in shape and relaxing as best as you can.

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey all. Is there any logic behind taking the day before the test off besides to avoid burnout? It seems like it is universally done, but I think I´m prone to going in there and "winging it", so I feel like it may be better to at least do something on Friday.

Right now, here's my plan: new PT (62) tomorrow, RC on Tuesday, new PT (64) on Wednesday, old PT on Thursday (63), LR drills and RC sections on Friday, and Saturday morning, do a game, 2 passages, and some LR questions.

I feel like I am about to make some huge leaps, so I feel like I need to get at it really hard this week. Plus, I definitely need to do these most recent tests.

Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:45 pm

calexhg88 wrote:Hey all. Is there any logic behind taking the day before the test off besides to avoid burnout? It seems like it is universally done, but I think I´m prone to going in there and "winging it", so I feel like it may be better to at least do something on Friday.

Right now, here's my plan: new PT (62) tomorrow, RC on Tuesday, new PT (64) on Wednesday, old PT on Thursday (63), LR drills and RC sections on Friday, and Saturday morning, do a game, 2 passages, and some LR questions.

I feel like I am about to make some huge leaps, so I feel like I need to get at it really hard this week. Plus, I definitely need to do these most recent tests.

Thoughts?

Not entirely certain, but for me personally at least at THIS point in prep it seems most beneficial to be taking full timed PTs. I'd definitely do 62-64, but maybe give yourself Tues and Friday off. Which LGs and LR questions are you guys gonna bring with you for the morning of?

Also I am praying to the LSAT gods that my experimental is LG. I had a RC exp which wasn't awful, but definitely not fun. And I would really just not like LR experimental...too confusing to have 3 sections of it and not know which is which like last time (and for the people that got 3 LRs in a row... :shock: )

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:47 pm

I'm glad to see you guys are hitting great practice test scores. Image
However, I must inject some words of caution.

Overconfidence based on practice tests score range will hurt you on test day, especially if it is based on scores from tests you have seen/taken before even if you didn't look at the answer key after the first time taking it.

If you go into test day with a cavalier attitude similar to "I've got this test mastered, 170+ no problem" you may get careless and lax doing active critical reading, thorough analysis and end up being a trap answer/sucker choice magnet.

The LSAT is a relentless demanding mistress and will rob you of points every chance she has when you are not fully concentrating/hyper-focusing critically on the materials.

I hope you guys achieve your goal scores, just make sure to have a healthy level of paranoia when evaluating answer choices and making your final decision for each question. The trap answers on many questions can be very seductive.
Last edited by Jeffort on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:53 pm

I could not agree more Jeffort. I went through that 2 weeks ago. We discussed it on the thread and I think everyone is aware of the danger. the key thing is not to panic and get into a frenzy to finish the rest of the section if you start to get hung up, that´s my problem.

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Jeffort wrote:I'm glad to see you guys are hitting great practice test scores. Image

Overconfidence based on practice tests score range will hurt you on test day, especially if it is based on scores from tests you have seen/taken before even if you didn't look at the answer key after the first time taking it.

If you go into test day with a cavalier attitude similar to "I've got this test mastered, 170+ no problem" you may get careless and lax doing active critical reading, thorough analysis and end up being a trap answer/sucker choice magnet.

The LSAT is a relentless demanding mistress and will rob you of points every chance she has when you are not fully concentrating/hyper-focusing critically on the materials.

I hope you guys achieve your goal scores, just make sure to have a healthy level of paranoia when evaluating answer choices and making your final decision for each question. The trap answers on many questions can be very seductive.
I can only assume this is directed toward me, and I would like to say that I DO have a healthy amount of skepticism of these scores and the fact that they are likely/definitely inflated because I am out of testing material. HOWEVER, like I've said a bunch on this thread and others, I'm only looking to beat my 169 from October. I'll be giddy with a 170. Not a 175, or even a 172...just one. point. more. I do appreciate your words of caution, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chesterfan1230

Bronze

Post by chesterfan1230 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:11 pm

This weekend has been so unproductive... Was supposed to drill RC but didn't have time. It's okay I'll do some RC drilling tomorrow and take an LSAT. Keep you guys posted!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:12 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
Jeffort wrote:I'm glad to see you guys are hitting great practice test scores. Image

I can only assume this is directed toward me, and I would like to say that I DO have a healthy amount of skepticism of these scores and the fact that they are likely/definitely inflated because I am out of testing material. HOWEVER, like I've said a bunch on this thread and others, I'm only looking to beat my 169 from October. I'll be giddy with a 170. Not a 175, or even a 172...just one. point. more. I do appreciate your words of caution, though.
Nah, I wasn't directing it at you in particular, but I did have you and calexhg88 in mind when I wrote it. I've been teaching and tutoring LSAT students for over 10 years so I'm pretty familiar with the usual routines, ups, downs and pitfalls students encounter and go through.

I meant it to be a general PSA for everybody taking the December test that reads this thread since it's popular and getting a lot of views. I'm not trying to pick on anybody or anything like that. Just throwing in my $0.02 for the motivated students in the final stretch leading to test day like I always do.

Here is a classic concert performance that fits the situation and motivation you guys have. We will rock you and We are the Champions Image

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Jeffort wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:

Nah, I wasn't directing it at you in particular, but I did have you and calexhg88 in mind when I wrote it.

I meant it to be a general PSA for everybody taking the December test that reads this thread since it's popular and getting a lot of views. I'm not trying to pick on anybody or anything like that. Just throwing in my $0.02 for the motivated students in the final stretch leading to test day like I always do.

Here is a classic concert performance that fits the situation and motivation you guys have. We will rock you and We are the Champions Image
Ah, okay. Seemed a little pointed when I first read it so my apologies if I came off as defensive. And that's on my "You're Gonna Rock The Shit Outta This Test" Playlist that I'm listening to on Friday 8) Thanks!

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:34 am

Good posts.

Meta-gaming is really tricky; at the very least, you will read something more quickly if you had read it before. Now, if you also review the answer choices - figuring out why each one is right/wrong - then you are really at a distinct advantage. I really think this is why you will see a person, who's prepped 3 times before and is taking the test for a fourth time, have a really high PT average and then do significantly worse on test day.

With calex and cali, I am certain that their ability level is in the low to mid 170's band. I don't care how many times you've seen the material; if you get 97/100, you have the ability to get 90/100 on a new test.

With me, I have had this in the back of my mind; I am lucky for not having spent a bunch of time reviewing, even old materials seem new. Also, there was a good bit of material that was completely new to me; my Saturday test (PT 62) was a completely new test - I had never seen any of the material before, and I did well. Tomorrow, I will be taking PT 63, which was the first test I took - in this 10 week journey.

I think Jeffort's warning is pertinent, but it is nothing to erode anyone's self confidence or belief in their abilities.

We got this...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:43 am

Pretty much all new material from here on out. New RCs as EXP for my PTs this week, a couple more RC sections, 100 or so LR questions, and a LG section.

Hopefully I will start to become accustomed to new material. Approaching completely new stimuli on every question slows me down by a few minutes, so hopefully this week I´ll be able to adjust my strategy accordingly.

Great advice Jeffort, your 2 cents could be extremely valuable to someone. I took a new PT after doing only old material for a month. I panicked during every section and my score was dramatically lower than my other scores. In my experience, I´ve learned that old PTs and new PTs are quite different from eachother not because you already know the answer but because your familiarity with the questions makes it a completely different ballgame. Sure, it´s a little easier, but sometimes that makes it easier to fall into traps. Also, your memory of the answer choices may ironically cloud your judgment. I think, on average, all things being the same, a new PT score is only lower by a few questions than an old PT score, if your familiarity with it is minimal of course.

There is a real danger in old PTs but as long as your always aware that the new PTs will pose different difficulties, you´ll be fine.

New PT for me tomorrow, LETTTSS GOOOO.

chesterfan1230

Bronze

Post by chesterfan1230 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:36 am

calexhg88 wrote:Pretty much all new material from here on out. New RCs as EXP for my PTs this week, a couple more RC sections, 100 or so LR questions, and a LG section.

Hopefully I will start to become accustomed to new material. Approaching completely new stimuli on every question slows me down by a few minutes, so hopefully this week I´ll be able to adjust my strategy accordingly.

Great advice Jeffort, your 2 cents could be extremely valuable to someone. I took a new PT after doing only old material for a month. I panicked during every section and my score was dramatically lower than my other scores. In my experience, I´ve learned that old PTs and new PTs are quite different from eachother not because you already know the answer but because your familiarity with the questions makes it a completely different ballgame. Sure, it´s a little easier, but sometimes that makes it easier to fall into traps. Also, your memory of the answer choices may ironically cloud your judgment. I think, on average, all things being the same, a new PT score is only lower by a few questions than an old PT score, if your familiarity with it is minimal of course.

There is a real danger in old PTs but as long as your always aware that the new PTs will pose different difficulties, you´ll be fine.

New PT for me tomorrow, LETTTSS GOOOO.

WOOT! I"m taking the June 2011 Exam tomorrow =) Let's kill it this last week.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:41 am

chesterfan1230 wrote:WOOT! I"m taking the June 2011 Exam tomorrow =) Let's kill it this last week.
Me too! Let's bang it out!

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:39 pm

FANTASTIC curve

new PT 62, -8 for a 175

RC -4
RCX -4
LR -4
LG -0
LR -0

Got worked before the break, killed afterwards. I even have tons of excuses, crying babies, 1st day waking up at five, weekend off. Not that I'm complaining about a 175 or anything, but it feels good that I still got this score on a non-optimal day.

My work is not complete, however. I'm stayin true to the pact we made in the beginning.

LETTS GOOO

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Took PT 63, the one I started with:

LR1: -2
LR2: -4 (I missed the last 4 questions after taking 5-7 minutes on #22, like a moran)
LG: -1
RC: -6
LRX: -3

-13 for a 168 (rough curve). I missed 3 questions in my first 69 and 10 in my last 31. Going into the break, I thought I was in the 177-180 band - exact opposite of Alex.

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:43 pm

180, you've still come so far! Like other posters have said, I honestly think a lot of it comes down to luck when you're taking the real thing. Plus remember that we will likely have a nice curve on Saturday (not definite, of course, but based on past years, we can only hope for the best!), so just keep pluggin' away.

I'm going to go do a timed LR section and a timed LG section...then go eat pizza, drink wine, and decorate for Xmas :lol:

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks, cali!

Yeah, it's all good. 9 out of my last 12 tests were -13 or under; I would bet that it's gonna be a -15 curve, but even if it is a -13, I'm right there.

The way I, finally, see it - is this: it is not a matter of whether or not I will do well, it's a matter of how well I'll do.

I'm stoked for Saturday!

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Great outlook! I'm not thinking -15, since that seems pretty damn outrageous. I'd wager a -13, maybe a -14 like in October if we're lucky. Regardless, we're all hitting -13 or less so as long as we stay on track, stay hyperfocused, stay calm, those 170s are within reach :mrgreen: good luck everyone and keep at it! this time next week we'll all be drunk. well, i will, anyway.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”