10 weeks to a 180

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby 180asBreath » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:21 pm

For sure.

I just need to start becoming more consistent with my technique:

LR
1. Finish the first 10 in 10 minutes (I'm going to start practicing this, each day)
2. Focus on the argumentation and develop a broad, or specific, pre-phrase before going to the AC's
3. Eliminate the incorrect AC's on the words that make the AC wrong and select the one that is inline with the pre-phrase

RC
1. Read slowly and understand the passage holistically (while considering all of the necessary aspects)
2. Pre-phrase before going to AC's and eliminate the incorrect AC's on the words that make the AC wrong and select the one that is inline with the pre-phrase

LG
1. Look back at all of the rules, at all times

These next 4 weeks should be about making these behaviors permanent.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby Jeffort » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:25 pm

SA1928 wrote:
180asBreath wrote:My bad, it was actually a 168 - not that it matters all that much.

10/26/11 - PT 51 - LR1: -4, LR2: -6, RC: -4, LG: -1, LGexp: -3, 85/100, 167
10/29/11 - PT 52 - LR1: -4, LR2: -0, RC: -2, LG: -0, RCexp: -6, 93/99, 174
11/02/11 - PT 53 - LR1: -4, LR2: -6, RC: -6, LG: -0, LRexp: -6, 84/100, 166
11/05/11 - PT 54 - LR1: -1, LR2: -5, RC: -5, LG: -1, RCexp: -2, 89/101, 168

Between -16 and -6 (166-174) on my last 4 PT's.

I can't wait until LR starts clicking, again.


If you feel like you have been off for a few days, or lost your groove, I would suggest taking maybe 1-2 full days off. About a month out from the October test, after going super hard leading up to it, I lost my rhythm and I think I just burned myself out. So if you feel that coming or you feel it is happening, try to walk away for a day or two and I bet when you get back at it, your rhythm will come back. I think someone already mentioned on this thread (although it could be a different one), our brains are like muscles, they need time off in order to build up. And don't spend your whole day off feeling guilty that you aren't studying either! For example, I take every Sunday off to watch football. I love football and it clears my mind to get ready for the week ahead, so maybe try to find something like that.


Image

180asBreath, this is a really important. Overload burnout is something that will happen if you Push it too hard.

Taking the weekend or two other days a week off from anything LSAT related is critical in order to moderate things and keep proper focus and perspective. Otherwise things will start blurring together and you'll have letters, symbols and diagrams bouncing around in your head to an extent that can cause brain freeze, blurry vision and make your eyes cross at times.

Several weeks before test day a knock at the door alerted me that I was hitting it too hard without proper balance and moderation. The UPS guy knocked on the door with a delivery (more PrepTests from LSAC). When I opened the door I suddenly realized that I had not opened the front door or stepped outside for five days straight! After being blinded by actual sunlight it dawned on me that it was a good wake-up call to get me back into a proper moderated regimen.

During the remaining weeks I put myself on a strict schedule. I forced myself to wake up and have breakfast at the same time everyday that I would have to on test day, took timed practice tests at the same time of day (9:15 a.m start time) I would on test day, took a ten minute break after section three, used a bubble sheet and no scratch paper, etc. After I finished each timed practice test I ate lunch before scoring it. After lunch I reviewed the test and my mistakes, then reviewed/drilled concepts/question types/etc. of the types I struggled with that morning along with general concepts review.

Did the study/review thing until ~6-7pm. At that time, even if I wasn't done or wanted to work more problems I closed the books and stopped anything LSAT related by 7p.m. Then I went to the fitness room or pulled out my bike to do some cardio for about 30-45 minutes. Then I came back in, showered, had dinner and chilled watching TV/read magazines/listened to music until 11:30 at the latest get into bed time. Next day, lather rinse repeat, wake up and get out of bed by 6:45 except on weekends when I did not touch or look at anything related to the LSAT. Spent the weekends just playing around doing various brainless entertaining things. The Friday before the test I didn't do anything LSAT related except make sure I had my admission ticket, ID, pencils, driving directions etc. all together in one place and then just wandered around the local mall and Target store to kill time.

It worked out well. I was calm as a cucumber on test day since I honestly knew I had done everything I possibly could have done to be prepared.

The night scores were released I was Dancing in heaven celebrating the victory of a long hard-fought battle.

Image

User avatar
tonton
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:10 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby tonton » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Jeffort wrote:
SA1928 wrote:
180asBreath wrote:
180asBreath, this is a really important. Overload burnout is something that will happen if you Push it too hard.

Taking the weekend or two other days a week off from anything LSAT related is critical in order to moderate things and keep proper focus and perspective. Otherwise things will start blurring together and you'll have letters, symbols and diagrams bouncing around in your head to an extent that can cause brain freeze, blurry vision and make your eyes cross at times.

Several weeks before test day a knock at the door alerted me that I was hitting it too hard without proper balance and moderation. The UPS guy knocked on the door with a delivery (more PrepTests from LSAC). When I opened the door I suddenly realized that I had not opened the front door or stepped outside for five days straight! After being blinded by actual sunlight it dawned on me that it was a good wake-up call to get me back into a proper moderated regimen.

During the remaining weeks I put myself on a strict schedule. I forced myself to wake up and have breakfast at the same time everyday that I would have to on test day, took timed practice tests at the same time of day (9:15 a.m start time) I would on test day, took a ten minute break after section three, used a bubble sheet and no scratch paper, etc. After I finished each timed practice test I ate lunch before scoring it. After lunch I reviewed the test and my mistakes, then reviewed/drilled concepts/question types/etc. of the types I struggled with that morning along with general concepts review.

Did the study/review thing until ~6-7pm. At that time, even if I wasn't done or wanted to work more problems I closed the books and stopped anything LSAT related by 7p.m. Then I went to the fitness room or pulled out my bike to do some cardio for about 30-45 minutes. Then I came back in, showered, had dinner and chilled watching TV/read magazines/listened to music until 11:30 at the latest get into bed time. Next day, lather rinse repeat, wake up and get out of bed by 6:45 except on weekends when I did not touch or look at anything related to the LSAT. Spent the weekends just playing around doing various brainless entertaining things. The Friday before the test I didn't do anything LSAT related except make sure I had my admission ticket, ID, pencils, driving directions etc. all together in one place and then just wandered around the local mall and Target store to kill time.

It worked out well. I was calm as a cucumber on test day since I honestly knew I had done everything I possibly could have done to be prepared.

The night scores were released I was Dancing in heaven celebrating the victory of a long hard-fought battle.

Image



how long had you studied for before the UPS came to save you? Not the five days before, long term. And how long was the Post-UPS period?

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby glucose101 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:54 am

It doesn't really matter how long the UPS time was. Jeffort's point, and something 180 hasn't been able to figure out, is that burnout is real. If you don't take a break, you're more than likely going to score lower than your full potential. And this doesn't mean do LSAT stuff on your days off. It means to completely do something else so that the LSAT ISNT on your mind. NONE. It will keep you calm during the exam.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Yes, I agree. Originally I was becomign extremley discouraged at myself that I was slacking on LSAT stuff for the sake of football on Sunday's... then I started to realize I could just schedule that as my off day :D lol

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby 180asBreath » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Oh, I know there is such a thing as burnout; I just don't believe I've experienced it yet. I don't think I'm spending nearly as much time as you all think I am - but who knows.

I met with my tutor and I'm going to do the following for the next 4 weeks:

M - PT
T - 2 hrs of LR, 1.5 hrs of RC, 1.5 hrs of LG
W - PT
R - 2 hrs of LR, 1.5 hrs of RC, 1.5 hrs of LG
F - PT
S - 2 hrs of LR, 1.5 hrs of RC, 1.5 hrs of LG
U - Off

If that is, indeed, too much - I will try to watch myself and take breaks when I need to. However, I don't feel that it is overly excessive. We shall see!!!

User avatar
calexhg88
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby calexhg88 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:12 pm

I´m about to take a few days off and do some travelling. I´ve had some good results over the past few days. I´m consistently hitting -1 and -2s on RC and LR. They are old sections but I know I´m benefitting from all the practice. I´ve learned I have to supplement understanding of the questions/stimuli with the skill of answering the question. I always get the 50/50s wrong, with some much practice you start realizing what right answers look like.

Pre-phrasing has helped me a lot of RC by the way. I just did a new, insane RC passage in 8 minutes, -0 and I had 0 doubt my answers were correct.

It's the home stretch guys. I'm gonna take the rest of the day and tomorrow off, and then get at it REAL hard when I get back.

I feel like because I have a good foundation and good strategy, I will benefit most from taking PTs most every day. I won't stop drilling my problem areas in LR, but I think I may only do those as warm-ups.

User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby calidancer2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:20 pm

I just got back from traveling/some days off, too! Took PT 44 yesterday, but it was at night and I was pretty tired, and my score showed:

RC -2
Exp/LG -0
LR -4
LG -0
LR -4

for a 170. The last two tests I got a 176 and a 178! But this one didn't feel like as much was repeated from my prior prep, so maybe a more accurate score. Today I'm doing 3 LR sections and 3 LG sections timed for some drilling, and then reviewing my wrong answers from PT 44 today.

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby xChiTowNx » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Jeffort wrote:
180asBreath, this is a really important. Overload burnout is something that will happen if you Push it too hard.


Funny. I was thinking more along the lines of this version of Push it

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby Jeffort » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:34 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
180asBreath, this is a really important. Overload burnout is something that will happen if you Push it too hard.


Funny. I was thinking more along the lines of this version of Push it


Ha ha. Reminds me of this classic Scarface scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T1GOCCaiWA
and others: (audio is in German but the pics speak for themselves if you don't know German) http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... etAuEuSJd4

User avatar
tonton
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:10 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby tonton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:21 am

The only questions I miss on LR sections are assumption questions, with a couple of justify the conclusion questions here and there. But on average I miss about 3-5/6 assumption (or related to assumption) questions on LR, per section. Beginning to think just maybe I have a problem understanding what assumption questions require.

Could someone please help? I always have the right answer and a contender, and I always pick the contender. Even when I've reviewed the section, return the next day...I pick the contender again!

User avatar
ss3825
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:56 pm

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby ss3825 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm

tonton wrote:The only questions I miss on LR sections are assumption questions, with a couple of justify the conclusion questions here and there. But on average I miss about 3-5/6 assumption (or related to assumption) questions on LR, per section. Beginning to think just maybe I have a problem understanding what assumption questions require.

Could someone please help? I always have the right answer and a contender, and I always pick the contender. Even when I've reviewed the section, return the next day...I pick the contender again!


If you haven't done so already, check this out and see if it is helpful. It was very helpful for me.

--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by ss3825 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GirlStop
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:49 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby GirlStop » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:37 pm

ss3825 wrote:
tonton wrote:The only questions I miss on LR sections are assumption questions, with a couple of justify the conclusion questions here and there. But on average I miss about 3-5/6 assumption (or related to assumption) questions on LR, per section. Beginning to think just maybe I have a problem understanding what assumption questions require.

Could someone please help? I always have the right answer and a contender, and I always pick the contender. Even when I've reviewed the section, return the next day...I pick the contender again!


If you haven't done so already, check this out and see if it is helpful. It was very helpful for me.

--LinkRemoved--’m-trying-decide-between-two-answer-choices-i-have-left


Link does not work

User avatar
ss3825
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:56 pm

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby ss3825 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:46 pm

GirlStop wrote:
Link does not work

I just edited it. It should work now.

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:42 pm

I took PT55 at 8am (way too early) and it didn't feel good, at all.

LR1: -5 (1st 10: I missed 2 and it took 16:33 :( and I missed the last two due to guessing)
LR2: -2 (missed both in the first 10, I need to address this issue)
RC: -5 (didn't feel too good)
LG: -0
LGX: -0

-12 for a 167

I need to start practicing doing the first 10 LR in ~10 minutes. I should not be missing the first 10 and I should be doing them quickly enough so I don't have timing issues.

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby hyakku » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:10 pm

THANK GOD DAVE MADE A LINK. I get so many random PMs from a post I made like three weeks ago, and the worst part is, no one leaves their email so I have no way to even send them the PDF. I'm hoping he'll put up everything else too soon lol.

If anyone PMs me for help/PDFs, INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL. I can't respond to like thirty people and copy and paste everytime I get a pm, especially because sometimes i'm at work.

User avatar
ss3825
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:56 pm

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby ss3825 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:48 pm

hyakku wrote:THANK GOD DAVE MADE A LINK. I get so many random PMs from a post I made like three weeks ago, and the worst part is, no one leaves their email so I have no way to even send them the PDF. I'm hoping he'll put up everything else too soon lol.

If anyone PMs me for help/PDFs, INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL. I can't respond to like thirty people and copy and paste everytime I get a pm, especially because sometimes i'm at work.


Dave has given you the credit for putting it all together in his thread as well. Just letting you know if you din't already. Thanks for that.

User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby calidancer2 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:55 pm

about to take a PT tonight, will review and do some drills tomorrow. Did some LR timed sections yesterday since I feel those are my shakiest (RC comes pretty naturally for me, games are down), and got -4 on one and -1 on the other!!!


also if anyone needs some distraction: drinkify.org

extremely entertaining, i played around with it last night during my break :lol: hope it provides some needed laughs!

tronredo
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby tronredo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Checking in after being off the internet for almost 4 days. I figured out the internet was a big distraction to my 180 drive ans so i kicked it away.

I'm glad to see everyone is working hard towards the big 180

My prep is going great. I am consistently getting between 169 - 174. I really want to improve myself. My biggest setback is finishing the LR section. I consistently get -0 in LG and RC. But i always leave like 3 unanswered in both LR sections. If anyone has any tip on how i could speed up i would greatly appreciate it. I think i second guess myself way too much especially on assumption questions. With 22 days to the test i'm sure i'll get enough confidence to choose the right answer and move on.

The LSAT is tough but i am convinced that it is a learn able test. With our handwork and perseverance i am sure we'll do it.

22 MORE DAYS Y'ALL. I have 30 PTs on my desk that will get done by test day. Figuring out a strategy of doing 2 PT per day. No excuses, play like a champion.

WISH Y'ALL THE BEST.

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 pm

That was inspiring. Thank you.

Let's do this!

barneytrouble
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby barneytrouble » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:46 am

tronredo wrote:Checking in after being off the internet for almost 4 days. I figured out the internet was a big distraction to my 180 drive ans so i kicked it away.

I'm glad to see everyone is working hard towards the big 180

My prep is going great. I am consistently getting between 169 - 174. I really want to improve myself. My biggest setback is finishing the LR section. I consistently get -0 in LG and RC. But i always leave like 3 unanswered in both LR sections. If anyone has any tip on how i could speed up i would greatly appreciate it. I think i second guess myself way too much especially on assumption questions. With 22 days to the test i'm sure i'll get enough confidence to choose the right answer and move on.

The LSAT is tough but i am convinced that it is a learn able test. With our handwork and perseverance i am sure we'll do it.

22 MORE DAYS Y'ALL. I have 30 PTs on my desk that will get done by test day. Figuring out a strategy of doing 2 PT per day. No excuses, play like a champion.

WISH Y'ALL THE BEST.


WOAHHHHHHHHHH WOAH WOAH more like 24. No need to incite panic here, already enough to go around.

User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby calidancer2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:50 am

Just took june 06, which was my first PT i took the last time around for the oct test. Got a 162 the first time around but -0 on ALL sections this time for a solid 180! Excited but trying not to get too pumped up since i have obviously seen those questions before. My timing is definitely getting better though at least.

User avatar
tonton
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:10 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby tonton » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:00 am

ss3825 wrote:
GirlStop wrote:
Link does not work

I just edited it. It should work now.


Thanks! that does help

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby 180asBreath » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:41 am

calidancer2 wrote:Just took june 06, which was my first PT i took the last time around for the oct test. Got a 162 the first time around but -0 on ALL sections this time for a solid 180! Excited but trying not to get too pumped up since i have obviously seen those questions before. My timing is definitely getting better though at least.


Are you kidding? A 180 is awesome, even though you saw the questions before. I think it really depends on how much you had reviewed; if you had gone through each question, learning why each answer choice was right or wrong, then the meta-gaming would be strong. But if you just took it without much review, you don't have to worry.

User avatar
calexhg88
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby calexhg88 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:30 pm

PT 50: 170

RC: 22/28 -6
LR: 23/25 -2
LGx: 21/21
LG: 22/22
LR: 23/25

I took it two months ago but almost all of the LR was new to me, and I really don't think I got too much help in RC (see score).

Frustrating again to see section one being so poor. Though this time I think it was more due to the fact that it was RC - I did some proper warm-up beforehand.

About to do some review and tomorrow some RC passages and some LR question analysis.

LETTSS GOOOO. 170 isn't so bad :)




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests