Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Postby calexhg88 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:18 pm

PT 51 - 173
LR - 2
RC- 3
LREXP - 1
LR - 2
LG - 1

BIIG improvement on RC. I was too antsy to see my score after I completed the LG section so I just looked at my score when I had 10 minutes or so to spare. Lesson learned. But is that like a 174 then? :)

LETS GOO!!!!!

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Nice work!! For all yalls experimental sections, what do you use/where do you put it? After the Oct 4th section rxperimental Im not sure where to place it. Ive been putting them in 2nd or 3rd randomly, and tend to use a third LR since that would be my "worst case scenario". Three LRs in a row is TOUGH and so ive been testinf myself with those. An experimental RC is nbd, and i would probably fistpump midtest if i got an exp LG.

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Put it as the section you normally do worst on. For me, that´s the 1st. I´m usually half asleep.

I just did a bit of review of my test. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked. 173 is my personal best by 2 points. We're on track to 180 dudes.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:09 pm

calexhg88 wrote:Put it as the section you normally do worst on. For me, that´s the 1st. I´m usually half asleep.

I just did a bit of review of my test. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked. 173 is my personal best by 2 points. We're on track to 180 dudes.

DUDE! You gotta get used to doing well on that first one!

I buy my PT's from Cambridge and they have 5 section tests (they add old sections as the experimental). But with the experimental being 4th, for some people, I'm going to have to figure this out - as well.

Congrats Calex!!!

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:33 pm

180asbreath! Your situation is very similar to mine. My problem is that without the pressure I can understand the question and destroy them very quickly. However, under the time pressure I misread a word in the stimulus or misread an answer choice which makes me run around in circles or get the question wrong.

Also, need to work on reading comp. I'm a slow-ish reader only getting to 3 out of the 4 passages, guessing on the last one.

Logical Games are my strength get anywhere from -2 to -0.

Logical Reasoning I'm okay at, can definitely improve by having a higher focus level during the exam and not making stupid mistakes.

I Am getting between a 163-165. I need a 170 because I screwed up my October exam and got a 155 (10 points lower than my average :( ).

We can do this!

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Chester, we can do this!!!

You need to practice your butt off with a ton of RC sections (to get quicker).

Lots of work today and I'm hoping to kill tomorrow's test! It's (finally) all on me; I have the ability, I just need to perform.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:16 pm

tonton wrote:Prephrasing just got me to -2 from -5/-6 on RC. Dave Hall should be made a saint! BUT, I finished in 40mins, because of all the writing. Is this method meant to be for untimed PTs? or do we prephrase on timed ones too? If we do, how can it be done in <35mins

Just started doing Velocity myself. Dave Hall is a genius. Haven't had a chance to take a full PT in the past week, but I have seen serious improvement on LR just by following some of his methods (consistently -4 or -5 rather than the -6 or -8 that I was doing before).

Now that I have a set schedule (working part time for the holiday season), I can plan accordingly to finish this month strong.

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:37 pm

So I've been following you all and you all seem to be making huuuuge gains on RC so congrats on that! I had a question about that...right now it is taking me about 10 mins to complete each passage+questions. I haven't really focused on RC over the past 3 months (although I did read the MLSAT RC book, semi helpful but overall not so much) and have followed Dave's comments about prephrasing and using small language. Did any of you struggle with timing? I get them all right - just take too long. I can sometimes finish faster, but in general timing is killing me. Do you think if I just keep doing tons of passages my habits will start to pick up speed?

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:42 am

What are your notation techniques like? If you're spending more than 4:00 min - 4 min 30 sec, you need to get practice less notation, and work on notating only the elements that you are weak at. If you're spending any more than 4 1/2 minutes, you have to get through it more quickly in an efficacious manner without losing any elements that contribute to your accuracy. So, for instance, if you find that you can easily recall attitudinal markers or something, you may want to notate less.

Additionally yes, practicing with proper technique will increase your time. If you are just really mastering some of the Velocity techniques, it will take a few tests for your time to re-calibrate. If you are still implementing the techniques, don't worry so much about time as maintaining that accuracy and ensuring that your system is consistent throughout. Once that's done, then you can practice getting it done to rote memorization and speed.

I believe that if you are truly doing the proper prephrasing, understanding the right language, and actively reading without notating too much, then your time issues truly are just re-calibrating from your previous techniques that were bogging you down to these newer methods. But if you can't answer AT LEAST the following for each passage, you should reconsider if you truly have "mastered" Rc:

1. Main point of the passage.
2. Author's attitude about the main viewpoint.
3. Author's purpose for putting pen to pad.
4. Organization of passage (i.e., "intro of evidence, reform notion, advocates of reform, counter arguments, authors opinion, etc."
5. - 8 are some other shits I can't remember at the moment, sorry mate. Those alone should help start you off, if you can't complete those then you already have an idea of your weak areas. I'll try to find the RC PDF I sent out earlier, not sure if I got it to you.

tonton

Postby tonton » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:16 am

hyakku wrote:5. - 8 are some other shits I can't remember at the moment, sorry mate. Those alone should help start you off, if you can't complete those then you already have an idea of your weak areas. I'll try to find the RC PDF I sent out earlier, not sure if I got it to you.

Please send the PDF to me too if you find it. Thanks hyakku!

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:11 am

hyakku wrote:What are your notation techniques like? If you're spending more than 4:00 min - 4 min 30 sec, you need to get practice less notation, and work on notating only the elements that you are weak at. If you're spending any more than 4 1/2 minutes, you have to get through it more quickly in an efficacious manner without losing any elements that contribute to your accuracy. So, for instance, if you find that you can easily recall attitudinal markers or something, you may want to notate less.

Additionally yes, practicing with proper technique will increase your time. If you are just really mastering some of the Velocity techniques, it will take a few tests for your time to re-calibrate. If you are still implementing the techniques, don't worry so much about time as maintaining that accuracy and ensuring that your system is consistent throughout. Once that's done, then you can practice getting it done to rote memorization and speed.

I believe that if you are truly doing the proper prephrasing, understanding the right language, and actively reading without notating too much, then your time issues truly are just re-calibrating from your previous techniques that were bogging you down to these newer methods. But if you can't answer AT LEAST the following for each passage, you should reconsider if you truly have "mastered" Rc:

1. Main point of the passage.
2. Author's attitude about the main viewpoint.
3. Author's purpose for putting pen to pad.
4. Organization of passage (i.e., "intro of evidence, reform notion, advocates of reform, counter arguments, authors opinion, etc."
5. - 8 are some other shits I can't remember at the moment, sorry mate. Those alone should help start you off, if you can't complete those then you already have an idea of your weak areas. I'll try to find the RC PDF I sent out earlier, not sure if I got it to you.

I'm usually between 4:30-5:30 on notating, but then need another 4:30 or 5 mins to get through all the questions with 100% accuracy. I have the pdf you sent me a while back so I have been following that and went through to make sure I could answer all of those questions on a few different passages. I still have trouble with the prephrasing though, at least prephasing quick enough to get it done in the 35 minutes. I think if I keep at it, hopefully I can knock 2 minutes off my per passage timing. I'm going to try what you said though, in trying to really follow what questions are the easiest for me so I can notate on that type a little bit less. Still 4 weeks to go, I think I can pull through I hope!! Thanks!

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:12 am

tonton wrote:
hyakku wrote:5. - 8 are some other shits I can't remember at the moment, sorry mate. Those alone should help start you off, if you can't complete those then you already have an idea of your weak areas. I'll try to find the RC PDF I sent out earlier, not sure if I got it to you.

Please send the PDF to me too if you find it. Thanks hyakku!

same! thankss

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:12 pm

me too!

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:54 pm

I don't know why but I want to cry. I just finished PT 54 without timing it; I'm not sure how I'll proceed with timing. But it did feel like I wasn't as rushed.

LR1: -1 (and I knew it was wrong, forgot to go back)
LR2: -5 (changed a couple of right answers, at the end and I got tired)
RC: -5 (back to back RC's and I ran out of time for fourth)
LG: -1 (read could NOT as could)
RCX: -2 (felt great)

-12 for a 167.

I have 4 weeks left and I feel so close but so far :(

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Reading comprehension is holding me back from the 170s. Please send me the PDF if you get the chance.

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:07 pm

180asBreath wrote:I don't know why but I want to cry. I just finished PT 54 without timing it; I'm not sure how I'll proceed with timing. But it did feel like I wasn't as rushed.

-12 for a 167.

Dude it´s alright. No worries. we´re still 4 weeks away, that´s plenty of time for substantial gains.

calexhg88

Postby calexhg88 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:30 pm

One more thing too. You were right to say there is no such thing as overprepping. but there is such a thing as burnout and putting too much stress/pressure on yourself. Now, I do not know this from first-hand experience, but I would guess that a 180 requires disengagement from such things as emotions and stress. Personally, I loose 2-5 minutes per section due to stress. I'll let my thoughts become clouded with time worries and before I know it I've read the entire stimulus without having a clue what it meant.

Every time I have hit a new high score I took an entire day off the day before the test. No drills, no passages, no coffee, nothing. I recommend that you give this strategy a shot, 180. if you drink joe, drink some green tea instead. Take naps, go for a run, drink a little bit the night before your day off. You will need to do a warm-up of course before diving right into the test on the following day, but after you do so, you will be firing on all cylinders and really be performing at your optimal level.

I know you're crushed, man. Shake it off. We'll get there.

tonton

Postby tonton » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:59 pm

180asBreath wrote:I don't know why but I want to cry. :(

We've all been at that shitty place. Was there earlier today, actually had tears dripping on the page, when it was 40mins in, and I was on question 23 of LR2 PT34, and I just realized I had mis-bubbled the last 4 questions. Went -7 on that section, personal worst on LR. Spent the next hour (or two) after that on a website devoted to Paris Fashion week! It was either that or crawling up into the fetal position and rocking back and forth. Now drilling assumption and must be true questions until they bleed.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:24 pm

I'll try to get that rc PDF for you all today, it might be on my work computer though.

Ill respond to some posts later, but 180. take a step back and relax. First of all, it's a beautiful Saturday, wherever you are. Second, it's time for me to put you into perspective, can't have you getting buck wild a few weeks before the test with your confidence.

At this point you know you can easily break 170, you've done it. Getting below a 170 now doesn't mean you've gotten dumber, it means that there's still more to master, and you are better equipped than you were yesterday to attack the test tomorrow because you've located some key flaws (which I know you have through review :p)

Secondly, I'd like you to take a first look at your thread page 1. You started pting at roughly 155, nearly the 50th percentile. You are now upset that you are in the NINETY THIRD and up percentile. If that's not progress then Ill eat my footies (and I genuinely enjoy these, so I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong)

Finally, that curve is pretty tough. A -12 in oct would have given you a 171, and in last dec I believe a 172. You've got the benefit of knowing there are going to be less test takers, and that dec. Is generally statistically the best curve. Now don't get all happy here, youve still got work to do before the real hard part starts (175+, the rarely chartered waters), but I just had to give you a little perspective. Go out and enjoy your Saturday, review tomorrow freshly, and get back to work. I've got a 180 to achieve through you :p

QuincyWagstaff

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:28 pm

180asBreath wrote:I don't know why but I want to cry.

The LSAT may be the least of your worries. Get a grip man.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:35 pm

180asBreath wrote:I don't know why but I want to cry. I just finished PT 54 without timing it; I'm not sure how I'll proceed with timing. But it did feel like I wasn't as rushed.

-12 for a 167.

It's alright, man. Still have four weeks left. Plenty of time to improve.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:26 pm

I was driving so it was hard for me to fully explain myself. I just felt so drained after such a long day and a late night working (got done at 1:00am, woke up at 7:00am to get ready to take the PT). On some level, it was actually a positive feeling; I felt like I was finally at the point where I am in striking distance of my goals. While I have not yet mastered the test, I've had enough good moments where I know that I am knocking on the door.

It's crazy to think that I could reasonably get a -2 on RC, a -2 on LR (combined), and a -0 on LG for a 178. Don't mistake this for arrogance, foolishness, or over-confidence; it's not that I will do that well, it's just that I can do that well. I know there is a lot of work to do, in order to get to the point where I am consistently in the mid 170's.

It's just surreal to be in the place that I am; like hyakku said, when I started this thread - I had a cursory understanding of the LSAT and was so unpracticed that a score in the low 160's was an accomplishment. 6 short weeks later and I'm at this point.

When I am confident and focused on LR, I am shocked when I miss one. When I am focused and moving in a timely manner, I miss 1 or 2 on RC.

If I can become consistent and count on this type of performance, I will achieve what means most to me.

I know this is not what came across with that, but I'm good. Right after, I went and saw Harold and Kumar to take my mind off of the test for a couple hours.

Looking forward to getting back to it tomorrow morning.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:37 am

My bad, it was actually a 168 - not that it matters all that much.

10/26/11 - PT 51 - LR1: -4, LR2: -6, RC: -4, LG: -1, LGexp: -3, 85/100, 167
10/29/11 - PT 52 - LR1: -4, LR2: -0, RC: -2, LG: -0, RCexp: -6, 93/99, 174
11/02/11 - PT 53 - LR1: -4, LR2: -6, RC: -6, LG: -0, LRexp: -6, 84/100, 166
11/05/11 - PT 54 - LR1: -1, LR2: -5, RC: -5, LG: -1, RCexp: -2, 89/101, 168

Between -16 and -6 (166-174) on my last 4 PT's.

I can't wait until LR starts clicking, again.

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:35 am

180asBreath wrote:My bad, it was actually a 168 - not that it matters all that much.

10/26/11 - PT 51 - LR1: -4, LR2: -6, RC: -4, LG: -1, LGexp: -3, 85/100, 167
10/29/11 - PT 52 - LR1: -4, LR2: -0, RC: -2, LG: -0, RCexp: -6, 93/99, 174
11/02/11 - PT 53 - LR1: -4, LR2: -6, RC: -6, LG: -0, LRexp: -6, 84/100, 166
11/05/11 - PT 54 - LR1: -1, LR2: -5, RC: -5, LG: -1, RCexp: -2, 89/101, 168

Between -16 and -6 (166-174) on my last 4 PT's.

I can't wait until LR starts clicking, again.

If you feel like you have been off for a few days, or lost your groove, I would suggest taking maybe 1-2 full days off. About a month out from the October test, after going super hard leading up to it, I lost my rhythm and I think I just burned myself out. So if you feel that coming or you feel it is happening, try to walk away for a day or two and I bet when you get back at it, your rhythm will come back. I think someone already mentioned on this thread (although it could be a different one), our brains are like muscles, they need time off in order to build up. And don't spend your whole day off feeling guilty that you aren't studying either! For example, I take every Sunday off to watch football. I love football and it clears my mind to get ready for the week ahead, so maybe try to find something like that.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:12 pm

-12 for a 167.

Think of it this way: a -12 on the October test would have given you a 171!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”