10 weeks to a 180 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
180asBreath

Bronze

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Post by 180asBreath » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:18 pm

I thought October was -13 and the last two December tests were -14.

Yes, I will be getting inebriated on the regular - once this is done.

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:00 pm

180asBreath wrote:I thought October was -13 and the last two December tests were -14.

Yes, I will be getting inebriated on the regular - once this is done.

Agh, I keep making that error because I got -14 for a 169. Yes, the Oct curve was a -13.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:58 pm

I'm glad I took a few weeks off to come back to this thread. I knew I'd come in to see all of you easily hurdling the 170+ curve. I know your test is in a few days so I'll stop back by, but I just want to say I'm so proud, I could tear up :lol: . I finally have a chance to get my 180 vicariously through you all, like an inadequate father. Go kill it.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Did 3 RC's (59-61) and missed 4 on each. Gonna do 2 LG sections in 60 minutes, once a day for the next few days - to ensure that my LG game is tight.

This is how I see it:

On Saturday I just need to understand 50 arguments and answer questions about them, do 4 logic puzzles, read 4 short passages and answer questions about them.

I've answered questions about thousands of arguments, I've done hundreds of puzzles, and I've answered hundreds of questions about passages - Saturday is just an opportunity to prove how hard I've worked and how smart I am ;)

chesterfan1230

Bronze

Post by chesterfan1230 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:25 pm

PT 63 JUNE 2011

LR1: -3
LR2: -2
LG: -0
RC: -2

RAW SCORE: 94 173

Not Bad!!! Could've had a 178 or 179

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tronredo

New

Post by tronredo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:29 pm

Back on this thread. 4 days to the LSAT. Glad to see y'all are still on the 180 grind.

PT has been going well. My Mean score for the past 15 PT's i've taken is 174. Highest score i've gotten was on PT 38 with a 179. Lately though, i've been falling back 167, 168.

By now i think i have a pretty good grasp of the main idea behind the LSAT. LSAT author want to take your brain in hostage for 4 hours and force you to think their way. LSAT questions challenge conventional ways of thinking and and force you to read deeper than you'll ever read in your life. In the end, those who can recognize and stay disciplined while sorting what you THINK the author said and what the author ACTUALLY said will get the highest points.

Sometimes on LR, i am left with 2 contenders but i am 100% unsure of which one if the right answer. Then i think to myself, how would I normally think of this, once i find the answer choice that i would automatically choose based on my quick conventional reasoning, i pick the other contender. this gives me about a 95% success rate. I only employ this strategy on like 3 questions but hey 2 more points can make a difference between a 177 and a 180.

My plan for tomorrow is to drill as many LR Flaw questions as i can. And on Thursday i will drill LG. I will not study anything past Thursday midnight.

I am really proud of all of us. We need to be confident in our abilities to knock this test off.

Will be back on Friday to wish everyone goodluck

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Yikes...

-19 for a 166.

PT 64

LR1: -6
LR2: -4
RC: -6
LG: -3
RCX: -7

I thought one of the LR's was an experimental, because it was before the break; turns out the Cambridge people put the experimental after the break, to prepare us.

Had to skip a couple on LG, my timing was so bad, but oh well. I'm actually kind of glad this happened; I feel it went about as bad as it could have, yet the result didn't destroy my world. I think this could have helped with the last bit of anxiety I had.

Hoping for a good result on Saturday!

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:20 pm

I just bombed PT64. -22. Is that a 164?

RCx: -3
LR1: -4
LG: -1
LR2: -8
RC: -9

Maybe I´m burnt out. I missed a handful of easy questions because of stupid mistakes and misreads. There were also several times when I just failed to following the line of reasoning completely and settled for a stupid answer.

I don´t feel like taking another year off, which would be my third, and I am out of material. I need to get a 170 to get a spot in one of my target schools, and I´m not going to any school below what I want.

I don´t want to risk taking a day off because I´m prone to go in there and wing it. I feel like I´ll rise up to the pressure on test day, but I am not entirely certain of that either.

Basically, I´m crushed, which is probably why my thoughts aren´t coherent right now. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Alex

tronredo

New

Post by tronredo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Alex you will do great.

We all have been experiencing drops in our PT scores lately. It's clearly burnout. I myself i have like 6 PTs left but i will not touch any of them before the test. I'm just reviewing everything today and tomorrow.

Be confident man. CONFIDENCE feeds on itself and your highest score depends on it.

calexhg88 wrote:I just bombed PT64. -22. Is that a 164?

Maybe I´m burnt out. I missed a handful of easy questions because of stupid mistakes and misreads. There were also several times when I just failed to following the line of reasoning completely and settled for a stupid answer.

I don´t feel like taking another year off, which would be my third, and I am out of material. I need to get a 170 to get a spot in one of my target schools, and I´m not going to any school below what I want.

I don´t want to risk taking a day off because I´m prone to go in there and wing it. I feel like I´ll rise up to the pressure on test day, but I am not entirely certain of that either.

Basically, I´m crushed, which is probably why my thoughts aren´t coherent right now. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Alex

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:41 pm

Yeah, a bit of rest and perspective will serve us both well. At this point, we've mastered all of the "material" and we just need to perform on game day. No more need to "learn" anything, we just need to stay in shape and do a bit of practice - while also getting the rest we need.

Don't even sweat it, man. It was merely a bad performance; it doesn't show that the tests have gotten harder, it doesn't represent how good your understanding of the test is - it is merely an isolated performance that didn't yield great results.

The biggest thing is that we go in, on Saturday, rested and in good shape. Personally, I know I need to do an hour of games during the next couple of days - I'm a bit out of shape on them - and that I need to do three consecutive LR's, just to quell any fears I have about that happening.

Dude, don't even sweat it. Don't think about even reading another LSAT question after Saturday; that is the day that we will take our last LSAT, as we are getting our 170's.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Alex
Same - I've been lurking on this thread for a few months; started at 155, broke 160 two weeks ago, and have been hovering around 165-172. Take a break: do some light drills, review some strategies and solidify your plan of attack so you don't "wing it" but slip into your zone on Saturday morning for your best effort. It is a tiring test, and practice tests can lead to burnout, anxiety and over-confidence. All of these things seem to be heavily punished on the LSAT.

I'm blown away by all of your commitment. It motivated me to push myself despite being burnt out at work.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:00 pm

Alex
Sounds like burnout. You know you're capable of the 170. I say rest for the last 2 days.

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:14 pm

you guys are awesome. im going to take tomorrow completely off, no coffee, no thinking, nothing. friday im going to go through pt63, no experimental.

180 i too had some problems with games. the rule changer question on the second game got me. im going to look over that on friday too.

i didnt do any warm up today, and since it started pretty well im not too sold on extensivr warm up prior to the test. maybe 1 game, drilling an indiv q type, and 1 passage will be more then sufficient i think.

i feel a lot better already. thanks for the words again guys

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:21 pm

That's good to hear.

I do 6-12 LR, 1 game, and 1 passage in the morning - and I think it helps.

Remember, it's just another PT.

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Alex
Trust me, take a day off before the test, it'll help you a LOT.

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:12 pm

sounds like i should take a day off before the test! haha. thanks guys :)

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Just took my last practice EVERRRR!!! Dec 05 (PT 48). Only problem was that the test was missing the last 2 questions of the last section...so I guesstimated my score/made myself a range.

TOUGH ASS CURVE. I hope it's not like this on Saturday. -8 for a 170. :evil:

LRexp: -1
LR1: -1
LG: -0
RC: -2
LR2: anywhere from -3 (assuming I got the last 2 right) to a -5 (bombing the last 2)

which gives me a 170-172. :lol: prayiiiing the curve isn't awful like this and that i'm on top of my game saturday.

So tonight and Thursday:

reviewing this test
reviewing the trickiest LGs (trying dinosaur, stained glass again both timed)
doing a few Weaken questions
getting my plastic bag ready!

Friday I am sleeping in, having a leisurely 2 hour hair appointment, and watching Christmas movies and eating a nice dinner (steak and potatoes). Saturday morning I'll get my iced Americano nice and early, do a linear LG to warm up and then a 1/2 page of LR questions that I've seen before and that I know is pretty straightforward.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:12 pm

What do we need in the bag, again?

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Post by xChiTowNx » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:16 pm

calidancer2 wrote:

reviewing this test

Friday I am sleeping in, having a leisurely 2 hour hair appointment, and watching Christmas movies and eating a nice dinner (steak and potatoes). Saturday morning I'll get my iced Americano nice and early, do a linear LG to warm up and then a 1/2 page of LR questions that I've seen before and that I know is pretty straightforward.
Cali, have you thought about throwing bikes in there? The only reason I say so is because it really tests if you know restrictions and can adapt even when you're Mastering the Possibilities doesn't account for every scenario - that is of course, if you haven't owned this game already!

Also, I think you should throw the Office session game (I think that was June 2011 PT) because it's time consuming to place the restrictive values that set you up for the game... again, if haven't already owned this game ha ha!

Good luck everybody! Taking October 2011 tomorrow...

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:19 pm

180asBreath wrote:What do we need in the bag, again?

freshly sharpened pencils with nice erasers
snacks
water bottle/nalgene
drivers license/other form of ID
car keys if you drove

DO NOT PUT: phone, your lsat questions you practice on the morning of

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:21 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:

reviewing this test

Cali, have you thought about throwing bikes in there? The only reason I say so is because it really tests if you know restrictions and can adapt even when you're Mastering the Possibilities doesn't account for every scenario - that is of course, if you haven't owned this game already!

Also, I think you should throw the Office session game (I think that was June 2011 PT) because it's time consuming to place the restrictive values that set you up for the game... again, if haven't already owned this game ha ha!

Good luck everybody! Taking October 2011 tomorrow...

Good ideas! I didn't find the bike one from Oct 11 bad, and that was the real test I took. I didn't know why everyone was freaking after the LSAT cause I thought it was time-consuming, but not bad. That was the 4 bikers on 4 different bikes over 2 days, right?

I'll dig around and try to find my June 11 PT and look over that one again. Thanks! Any other recs?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:33 pm

I ran into the bikes game, this morning, and I had to skip two questions due to timing issues.

Do we need a second ID? I remember something about a small photo on a card or something like that.

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:35 pm

180asBreath wrote:I ran into the bikes game, this morning, and I had to skip two questions due to timing issues.

Do we need a second ID? I remember something about a small photo on a card or something like that.

Yep, your admission ticket and then a 2x2 (like a passport photo, I got mine done at Costco) of your face so they can tape it on. Make sure it looks like you/matches (if you take it with a beard, gotta have the beard the day of the test, too)

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Post by xChiTowNx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:11 am

calidancer2 wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:
I'll dig around and try to find my June 11 PT and look over that one again. Thanks! Any other recs?

I'll look up a couple weird ones - there's this furniture to wood one that's easy once you build your diagram, just has a couple rules to run your head around it. Also, there are these weird process games I'll look up you might just want to glance at. It's basically something like letters fghlk are clans and every year, 3 of the clans participate in a festival, with the clans that did not participate in the preceding year participating in the next festival, and once all clans have participated in two festivals, that makes a cycle. Then it would ask you what would be possible in the 4th festival of a cycle.

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:32 am

xChiTowNx wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:

I'll look up a couple weird ones - there's this furniture to wood one that's easy once you build your diagram, just has a couple rules to run your head around it. Also, there are these weird process games I'll look up you might just want to glance at. It's basically something like letters fghlk are clans and every year, 3 of the clans participate in a festival, with the clans that did not participate in the preceding year participating in the next festival, and once all clans have participated in two festivals, that makes a cycle. Then it would ask you what would be possible in the 4th festival of a cycle.
Oh man I love those games. I call them switchboards.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”