10 weeks to a 180 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
180asBreath

Bronze

Re: 10 weeks to a 180

Post by 180asBreath » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:03 am

Started my drilling this morning; I'm going to do RC and LG in the morning, and LR at night.

Just did 2 RC's and 2 LG's, -2 and -6 in RC and -0 and -1 in LG.

Going to meet with my RC tutor in a bit, and I am excited to really get to work on LR in the PM.

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Today I did 4 (or maybe 5) LR timed sections, and 2 LG sections, with review on each. It´s true what they say about Tuesdays being the most productive day after all.

-0s on the LGs and -4,-3,-2,(-2),-1 on the LRs. My new triage strategy of 10-end, 1-9 is working great.

I started some really bad habits in RC so I´m going to take a huge step back from it, probably until next week. I´m gonna listen to the Kung Fu RC podcasts and listen to some online Kaplan lessons instead of actually doing any RC work. I wanna focus on LR and really nail down my new strategies and get used to these -2 scores.

When do you all think I should take my next full-length? This question is for everyone but 180 :)

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:36 pm

Haha!

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:22 pm

Took 51 today; it didn't really feel like it went too well. I was lucky to get through all of RC (without notating) and I only guess on a couple of LR. I tried to fine-tune my approach to LR and it seemed okay, I suppose.

I'm definitely at a point where I just feel lost :-/ I just need to make the time for drilling, even though it's so hard to do. It should take precedence over everything else.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:43 pm

180asBreath wrote:I just need to make the time for drilling, even though it's so hard to do. It should take precedence over everything else.
You gotta stick to your guns man, it's always darkest before the dawn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:46 pm

I feel you dude. But don´t get too down on yourself. I´m sure your exaustion from all the LSAT work over the past few weeks played a big factor. And when you switched techniques theres always going to be some slip ups.

Perhaps its time to begin heeding our advice on backing away from all the PTs, you should do it now before its too late. The biggest thing working against you is that you are doing the PTs the same way that you were at the beginning. You don´t realize it, but if you are anything like me, subconscious, old habits are really working against you. My advice to you is to step back, disassociate yourself with all the numbers, and start understanding the LSAT.

One thing I am about to do is to go through all LR question types and list everything that the right answer must include. This will save a lot of time and better help me decide between 2 answer choices.

Basically, doing repetitive, successive PTs make your learning curve very small, whereas if you are varied in your approach, your learning curve will stay at the maximum level, only then will you get the 180 you are looking for.

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:56 pm

I´m about to plan out the next 5 weeks. I got 5 untouched PTs (if Oct 2011 gets released), 40 online tutorials, Kung Fu podcasts, a couple books, and the rest of the Kaplan material. It´s getting real dudes.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:59 pm

I don't know how many times I tried stressing to you that taking PTs without making substantial improvement is going to have this effect on you. PM me 180s with your email, i've got a couple of PDFs that you need to read before you touch another PT. They'll give you the direction you need I suspect.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:10 pm

suspicious android wrote:
180asBreath wrote:I just need to make the time for drilling, even though it's so hard to do. It should take precedence over everything else.
You gotta stick to your guns man, it's always darkest before the dawn.
I know, I'm a douche. I felt like I could spend equal time learning (drilling, books, videos, etc.) and practicing (PT's); apparently, I was wrong. I am still trying to convince myself that I have plenty of time to do both, but this is getting harder and harder for me to actually believe.

My biggest regret is not taking full advantage of the summer; now that things are so hectic for me, it's really difficult to balance everything.

At this point, it feels like this:

:( ____________ About 150 RC passages, 150 games, the whole Velocity LR book, 1000 LR by type ___________ 170+
Me_____________________________________The Desert I Need To Cross_________________________________________ My Goal

I know the PTs aren't part of the equation, but they are - quite literally - the only thing keeping me from peace-ing out, taking it in June, and waiting till next cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:16 pm

180asBreath wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster.

On December 3rd, I will give my best effort in hopes of scoring a 180 on the LSAT. I've never done so on a PT, nor have I been close. However, I have realized that one should always aim for past their target in all goal-setting attempts. Let's just say I need a 7 in the tens column to get into the school I want (T6), and this will be my earnest effort to do so. If I had to guess, I would probably have an average of 163-165 if I took 10 full tests. I have only taken <10 full PT's, and they ranged from 155-166 with most of them before I did any prep.

I will spend the next 10 weeks going through the Velocity LSAT training course (that I found on TLS), daily LG and RC sections, and semiweekly PT's. I have spent the last year tinkering around the edges (i.e. practicing LG, learning some LR question types, practicing with LR by question type, etc), but I have not put in even a respectable effort. I am so impressed by all of you who were able to train for several months and improve by 10+ points; it really is quite admirable. Well, I'm at the last house on the block and I will do my best to continue in the proud tradition of TLS LSAT takers.

Please feel free to comment, critique, or advise on this thread. I am not a prideful man, so I always take advice as valuable information to draw from; further, I'm not easily rattled and I have a thick skin.

I look forward to this journey and will update this thread daily, in hopes that others can draw from my experiences as I have benefited from all of yours.

Updated PT's:

09/24/11 - PT 63 - LR1: -4. LR2: -4, RC: -8, LG: -4, LRexp: -4, 81/101, 163
09/28/11 - PT 43 - LR1: -5. LR2: -6, RC: -8, LG: -3, LGexp: -7, 79/101, 163
10/01/11 - PT 44 - LR1: -3. LR2: -6, RC: -7, LG: -5, RCexp: -8, 79/100, 161
10/05/11 - PT 45 - LR1: -4, LR2: -1, RC-13, LG: -0, LRexp: -6, 81/099, 165
10/08/11 - PT 46 - LR1: -1, LR2: -2, RC: -9, LG: -0, LRexp: -5, 87/099, 167
10/12/11 - PT 47 - LR1: -2, LR2-11, RC: -2, LG: -0, LRexp: -5, 86/101, 166
10/15/11 - PT 48 - LR1: -6, LR2: -2, RC: -5, LG: -0, LGexp: -4, 88/101, 166
10/19/11 - PT 49 - LR1: -7, LR2: -2, RC: -7, LG: -1, RCexp: -9, 83/100, 164
10/23/11 - PT 50 - LR1: -5, LR2: -3, RC: -7, LG: -4, LRexp: -10, 81/100, 163
10/26/11 - PT 51 - LR1: -4, LR2: -6, RC: -4, LG: -1, LGexp: -3, 85/100, 167

where can i buy those exams PT40 to PT 50.

thanks

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Cambridge LSAT - $9 for each 5 section test (they put in an old section for the experimental).

I have spent SO much money on prep material; I am usually comfortable with piracy, but - for some reason - I'm not very comfortable with breaking the law "against" the law school admissions council, haha.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:34 pm

180asBreath wrote: My biggest regret is not taking full advantage of the summer; now that things are so hectic for me, it's really difficult to balance everything.

I know the PTs aren't part of the equation, but they are - quite literally - the only thing keeping me from peace-ing out, taking it in June, and waiting till next cycle.
It's interesting to see how people rationalize their actions. You know the PTs are not helping you, at this point, they're actually kind of hurting you. But you keep doing it because you've created this idea in your mind that without the PT's, you will quit. But you're already quitting. I'm not making any concrete assertions about your character here, I don't really know you at all, but: this is exactly the kind of language addicts use to justify continuing in their addiction. You're blocking yourself from doing the things that would really help you because you don't want to do them. The "oh, without PTs I'll quit" is just a bullshit rationalization. You don't want to do the real work, so you fall back on the PTs to give you a plausible (to you) excuse not to do it.

You're kind of an extreme example, but people do this all the time. The PTs are like a drug, that high when you get after finishing one (oh, 167, personal best!!!) drives them to do more. The real work is the review, but that doesn't get the endorphins running, so people rush through that. I don't even think people need to drill by question type, it's just a convenient way to force you to do the analysis.

Do you lift weights by any chance? This analogy is actually damn near perfect. People get an endorphin rush after they lift, , and the better they lift, the better the rush. So if they're good at the bench press, they want to do more bench presses the next day. Rows? Nah, that's not as fun, don't want to do it. They'll make you stronger and in the long run will improve your bench press, but if you suck at them at first, no endorphin rush. Take a rest day? In this analogy a rest day is actually review, because that's when your muscles build. But recovery doesn't give you the jolt, so how about just another few sets of bench presses? But that's not how you get stronger. The best advice I got when I started lifting was "Lifting weights doesn't make you stronger. Resting after lifting weights makes you stronger." So breaking down the analogy, PTs don't make you better at the LSAT, reviewing/analyzing makes you better.

Anyway, maybe the analogy has a few faults, but I was just rambling at that point. Your whole saga has been interesting in a train-wreck kinda way just wanted to put another two cents.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:53 pm

There was a lot of good insight; I do see that it resembles a form of irrational self-sabotage.

I'll just say this, I don't get a thrill from PT's; I've actually had to teach myself to not be so anxious to get done with them, as I would usually shake my leg, nervously, the whole time I'd take them. I leave disappointed after each one, since I screw up on some section - each time.

Like you said, you don't know me. Everyone has their own personality and make-up, and I know what mine is. I am the type of small-minded fool who can nail down a certain behavior or certain habit, as if I was a robot, but if I am unable to "program" myself - I'm a lazy fool. As you can see, I have religiously taken the PT's because I put it in my mind and dedicated myself to it - but with drilling, since I wasn't able to program myself, I've been lazily inconsistent.

It is a good analogy with weightlifting; I lift and it struck a chord.

I don't think I've ever deluded myself about what I was really doing; I never thought that I was learning or even getting better. I just felt that PT's would help me with my anxiety, my timing, and my endurance. To those aims, I think PT'ing has been great (even if it has had some unintended consequences).

The real problem is that I haven't put in the time learning the test, like you said. All summer, all I did was learn the test; now, for the last 4.5 weeks, all I have done is practiced.

Now I need to do both.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:44 pm

180asBreath wrote:There was a lot of good insight; I do see that it resembles a form of irrational self-sabotage.

I'll just say this, I don't get a thrill from PT's; I've actually had to teach myself to not be so anxious to get done with them, as I would usually shake my leg, nervously, the whole time I'd take them. I leave disappointed after each one, since I screw up on some section - each time.

Like you said, you don't know me. Everyone has their own personality and make-up, and I know what mine is. I am the type of small-minded fool who can nail down a certain behavior or certain habit, as if I was a robot, but if I am unable to "program" myself - I'm a lazy fool. As you can see, I have religiously taken the PT's because I put it in my mind and dedicated myself to it - but with drilling, since I wasn't able to program myself, I've been lazily inconsistent.

It is a good analogy with weightlifting; I lift and it struck a chord.

I don't think I've ever deluded myself about what I was really doing; I never thought that I was learning or even getting better. I just felt that PT's would help me with my anxiety, my timing, and my endurance. To those aims, I think PT'ing has been great (even if it has had some unintended consequences).

The real problem is that I haven't put in the time learning the test, like you said. All summer, all I did was learn the test; now, for the last 4.5 weeks, all I have done is practiced.

Now I need to do both.
Check your pms, I'm taking over a large portion of your studying as I still don't have my score and thus may need to stay sharp but also believe you have a shot at breaking 175+ with some minor changes. This ain't a debate 8)

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Done!

While this thread may not attest to this as well as it should, there is nothing I need more than a great score on the LSAT. Quite literally, it is the single obstacle standing between me and my dream career. No, I'm not talking about biglaw or even practicing law; we'll just say that I'm on a trajectory that really requires my doing well in December. I know my "stubborn attitude" makes it seem as if this is desire is 2nd to my pride, I can assure you that it's not.

Thanks hyakku!

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Okay, I'm digging this. I'm going to give myself tonight to be a bit emo, and then I'm going to get back to it - tomorrow morning.

37 days, when used appropriately, is a wealth of time; I'm going to (finally) make the most of it and step up.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:01 am

I started doing the 4x4 but I had a question: for the first 4, when it says "look at the question" does it mean just the question stem or the stimulus and the question stem (everything but the AC's)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:19 am

180asBreath wrote:I started doing the 4x4 but I had a question: for the first 4, when it says "look at the question" does it mean just the question stem or the stimulus and the question stem (everything but the AC's)?
I think he is referring to only the question stem. I think Part A is trying to get you to learn to read a question type and be able to sort of get a feel for what you're looking for, like should the language be small or broad? For example, if you see a question that asks you what does the argument depend on? We know the question is a necessary assumption question, so the language will be smaller typically. A wrong answer might say something really broad (or sufficient!), but is not necessary to make the argument work. This is my take at least as to what it is asking!

Also, I've been following your thread, and I think the most important thing is to just stay positive about your abilities. I was sort of in the same position as you before the October test, as when it was only a few more weeks away, I sort of panicked that I wouldn't be ready, so I sort of mentally quit (even though I was still prepping) in a weird way and then I really wasn't ready. But, if I had continued to prep the way I had been, with full confidence, I think I would have been fine. So, I guess I'm just trying to say, is don't let your nerves or insecurities hold you back when prepping. Just because you've been one way in the past doesn't mean you have to be that way now, so stay confident, stay positive, and you'll be awesome. :)

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:34 am

Ah, that's what I thought it was.

SA, thanks for the kind words. I'll make sure to take advantage of your experience, and ensuing advice, and not let the stalling get me down. This whole time, I've almost been grateful for a lack of progress; each time I'd see my score, I'd tell myself that it's what I deserve for not putting my all into my prep. I truly feel like it is all on me and once I start doing the right things, the progress will come.

I am really trying to treat this like a watershed moment.

And the same goes to you; no matter how October went, there is still plenty of time for December :)

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:56 pm

180asBreath wrote:Ah, that's what I thought it was.

SA, thanks for the kind words. I'll make sure to take advantage of your experience, and ensuing advice, and not let the stalling get me down. This whole time, I've almost been grateful for a lack of progress; each time I'd see my score, I'd tell myself that it's what I deserve for not putting my all into my prep. I truly feel like it is all on me and once I start doing the right things, the progress will come.

I am really trying to treat this like a watershed moment.

And the same goes to you; no matter how October went, there is still plenty of time for December :)
Question stem first, then passage. You want it to be at the point where when you see the stem, everything you need to be looking for surfaces. For instance, I see an inference I'm thinking, "no outside info, must be true based off passage, likely small language, wrong answer is using load bearing or out of scope language, matching scope, etc." instantaneously.

Similarly a weaken line of thinking might go, "likely identifying the assumption to attack, middle language with heavier connotations than inference type questions, right answer will attack by providing another cause, show reversed re STOL sip, etc., wrong answer will strengthen or start correctly but conclude wrong" all in a second or two. It's good to be able to do this without the question because once it becomes second nature you'll be able to extract the vital information you need from the questions immediately upon looking at this.

Most of what I gave you was compiled from various places, Dave, some LSATblog, etc. Just remember that you don't have to totally change your style (not having gone through an entire course of velocity, I don't expect you'll be able to dothe entire thing), but rather the goal is to shift your thinking so you gain confidence through competence.

Talk to you soon. Forgive any typos from the pad.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:14 am

Thanks, man. That makes sense; I'll have an LR for you tomorrow.

I have a tutoring session tomorrow, and I'll run through some games.

I'll put in some good work tomorrow.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:24 am

Going to bed early. Spent 4 hours at the library today, and plan another four tomorrow. I split my time doing LR and LG sections and questions (thanks to Cambridge LSAT) and figuring out the different types of questions/logic games. Taking a break from PTs until November and finishing out this month going through everything making sure I am fully understanding the material.

Keep at it, everyone. Hopefully, it will all be worth it in the end.

tonton

Bronze

Post by tonton » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:19 am

calexhg88 wrote:I´m about to plan out the next 5 weeks. I got 5 untouched PTs (if Oct 2011 gets released), 40 online tutorials, Kung Fu podcasts, a couple books, and the rest of the Kaplan material. It´s getting real dudes.
its soo real now! Hyper-ventilate every time I think about Dec 3rd. did you already go through the PS Bibles? if so, was there a major difference after?

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:45 am

tonton wrote:
calexhg88 wrote:I´m about to plan out the next 5 weeks. I got 5 untouched PTs (if Oct 2011 gets released), 40 online tutorials, Kung Fu podcasts, a couple books, and the rest of the Kaplan material. It´s getting real dudes.
its soo real now! Hyper-ventilate every time I think about Dec 3rd. did you already go through the PS Bibles? if so, was there a major difference after?
I took a 10-week Kaplan course in Aug and Sept and I still have access to all the materials, so I have primarily just been using that.

The main thing that has helped me is looking through this forum and seeing what applies to me. I´ve recently reached out to some other sources, like the Kung Fu podcasts and the PS LR bible (which I have not yet read). I realized that some of the methods taught in the Kaplan course don´t apply to me. Doing this has really helped me and definitely responsible for the really high scores I´ve been seeing lately.

calexhg88

Bronze

Post by calexhg88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”