PT 58 LR Section 1, Q 9

SisterRayVU

PT 58 LR Section 1, Q 9

Postby SisterRayVU » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm a bit confused as to why the correct answer isn't C. I eliminate D because it says they eat more food which strengthens the argument that N5 is useless. A is whatever and so is B. But aren't the people looking to reduce fat AND calories? So wouldn't C weaken it just as good as E? Or is C wrong because it says 'not everyone' pays attention to calories which doesn't really have an effect on the usefulness of it whereas E talks about a tendency of fat decreasing across the board? Really confusing question for me and I feel like the difference was subtle and I still miss it even now looking over the Q.

thelawschoolproject

Re: PT 58 LR Section 1, Q 9

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:37 pm

The beginning of the stimulus says people who reduce their "intake of fat" and "consume fewer calories" turn to N5. However, then they eat more food which makes "up for the calories initially saved."

The argument in the stimulus is that N5 is "of no use" so you would need to show how it might be of use. And, insofar as we know the only way that N5 is useful is if it reduces fat OR calories. We know from the stimulus that maybe calories aren't lessened, but we don't know anything about the total amount of fat.

Answer E suggests that maybe the fat will decrease, rendering N5 useful, which would weaken the argument.

Answer C says some people don't pay attention to the caloric intake, but why would this matter? Regardless of whether or not people are paying attention to what they ingest that would have no impact on the effectiveness of the drug itself. The object of the question is to show how N5 is effective. What people pay attention to isn't helpful in that regard.

I hope that helps!

SisterRayVU

Re: PT 58 LR Section 1, Q 9

Postby SisterRayVU » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:15 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:The beginning of the stimulus says people who reduce their "intake of fat" and "consume fewer calories" turn to N5. However, then they eat more food which makes "up for the calories initially saved."

The argument in the stimulus is that N5 is "of no use" so you would need to show how it might be of use. And, insofar as we know the only way that N5 is useful is if it reduces fat OR calories. We know from the stimulus that maybe calories aren't lessened, but we don't know anything about the total amount of fat.

Answer E suggests that maybe the fat will decrease, rendering N5 useful, which would weaken the argument.

Answer C says some people don't pay attention to the caloric intake, but why would this matter? Regardless of whether or not people are paying attention to what they ingest that would have no impact on the effectiveness of the drug itself. The object of the question is to show how N5 is effective. What people pay attention to isn't helpful in that regard.

I hope that helps!

Excellent, thank you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”