Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

User avatar
aeiouy
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby aeiouy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:19 pm

I still haven't withdrawn October because I don't want that last minute "What the hell, I'll take it" moment.

If someone would look at my reasoning for taking December and tell me I'm not crazy, I would really appreciate the confidence boost:
Better GPA since Fall grades will be in..not much, something like a .4 boost
Better LOR - I currently only have one from a prof, the other is one from someone I worked closely under for a leadership position, but I could have one of my professors from this semester write one, making it two professors.
More time to prepare a good PS - my least favorite part of the application process
Better LSAT score

I just feel like if I take October, it's a "throw-away" because I know I will need to retake in December to get into my top choice. This means that if I take October and December, but make my schools wait to evaluate my December score and they don't accept me for various reasons (score, timing in cycle, etc.), then if I want to improve that score, I would be taking it a THIRD time in June. Bad, right?

So I'd rather take December only, get denied with that one score, plan to retake in June or October, while getting WE for that year after graduation. Either way, I can make some good out of it, right?

ETA: I pretty sure I don't want to take October because I would be settling for a half ass attempt at a score. I haven't taken the time to actually finish any of the Bibles or any LSAT prep book, for that matter. I've been improving very slowly, but that's completely my fault. I think if I make a schedule and stick to it, there is no reason why I can't improve since I haven't prepped to my full potential.

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:27 pm

If you are not ready don't take it. Yes it sucks, and its your own damn fault your not ready, but wait and take it later when you feel ready.

This is coming from a guy who said screw it, took it, and scored badly, but then went to law school with it anyway (but probably would have been better off taking a year off and taking when I was ready) :P

User avatar
calexhg88
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby calexhg88 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:05 am

aeiouy, you aren´t crazy. It definitely sounds like you are making a good decision. Just don´t be lazy next time around and get prepping!

As for myself, I talked myself into taking into yesterday, but then today I began to question why. I know I´m going to take it in December anyway. I´ll likely get a score around a 166, so I´m just going to tell my top choices to hold off on a decision until my next score, so why should I take it in October? I explain my situation to people and they all tell me just to take it. Maybe they think the 170s are unattainable or that my nerves will be even worse come December if I don´t get the score in October. I don´t understand that because its quite clear to me that I should wait. Only I know myself and my capabilities. Is there something I´m missing here? My last scores were 164, 168, 163, 171, 163, 163, and I want mid 170s, but moreso I want what I can get when I am fully prepared, which I am not right now.

User avatar
SA1928
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby SA1928 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:39 am

aeiouy wrote:I still haven't withdrawn October because I don't want that last minute "What the hell, I'll take it" moment.

If someone would look at my reasoning for taking December and tell me I'm not crazy, I would really appreciate the confidence boost:
Better GPA since Fall grades will be in..not much, something like a .4 boost
Better LOR - I currently only have one from a prof, the other is one from someone I worked closely under for a leadership position, but I could have one of my professors from this semester write one, making it two professors.
More time to prepare a good PS - my least favorite part of the application process
Better LSAT score

I just feel like if I take October, it's a "throw-away" because I know I will need to retake in December to get into my top choice. This means that if I take October and December, but make my schools wait to evaluate my December score and they don't accept me for various reasons (score, timing in cycle, etc.), then if I want to improve that score, I would be taking it a THIRD time in June. Bad, right?

So I'd rather take December only, get denied with that one score, plan to retake in June or October, while getting WE for that year after graduation. Either way, I can make some good out of it, right?

ETA: I pretty sure I don't want to take October because I would be settling for a half ass attempt at a score. I haven't taken the time to actually finish any of the Bibles or any LSAT prep book, for that matter. I've been improving very slowly, but that's completely my fault. I think if I make a schedule and stick to it, there is no reason why I can't improve since I haven't prepped to my full potential.


haha I have been holding my LSAT too, until today, to make sure I didn't have that "Whatever, let me just take it and get it done!"...but I think I am going to withdraw in a few minutes. I don't feel great about taking it tomorrow, and not really due to not prepping, but just not taking to the material as well as I expected. I found it fairly simple to get into the high 160s, but I feel like getting a consistent mid 170s is taking a lot more work, which I've read is somewhat normal.

I think as long as you think you will have the time to really prep hard until December, then it is can be worth a wait, but really each person's situation is different so you have to go with what you feel comfortable doing. Also, taking one year off won't be the end of the world and can give you time to save some money or do something that you have always wanted to do.

Good luck in your decision!

User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:45 pm

.
Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:54 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Really, I think the bottom line for why I'm taking tomorrow comes down to these things:

1) I get two shots at taking a test for this cycle that all schools will take (not all schools take February and it's not disclosed)
2) Harvard, Berkeley (and potentially NYU which I forgot to include earlier) seem to be the only schools that have any kind of serious when averaging scores according to that TLS link. So top score wins.

If you can afford to postpone a cycle, then don't worry even if you have to miss taking in December. If you really feel like you need to apply this cycle (people can't afford to support my non-full-time working ass forever :) ) then maximize your testing opportunities and take October and December.

*Note, you might think you'll take in December and be totally ready/not have any problems, but I thought that for June and due to moving/finding part-time work, and many other things I haven't been able to focus like I needed to. It's cool now, but just sayin'.



My thoughts exactly. I'm securely employed full-time, so if need be, I can afford to delay even past December and apply for next cycle. Though, I'm curious, do schools care when you took the LSAT vs what cycle you apply? For example, using a score from say, December of this year, and applying early next fall for the following year?

User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:27 pm

.
Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Ocean64 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:45 pm

do you guys know if schools care if your LORs are 2-3 years old by the time you apply?

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:13 pm

Ocean64 wrote:do you guys know if schools care if your LORs are 2-3 years old by the time you apply?



This might indirectly answer your question, but I know even if you're a few years out of school, a lot of schools still want to see an academic LOR, so I'd assume it wouldn't matter.

User avatar
SA1928
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby SA1928 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Ocean64 wrote:do you guys know if schools care if your LORs are 2-3 years old by the time you apply?


Yeah, it seems like a lot of schools suggest getting LORs from your professors in your senior year even if you know you are going to be taking a year or two off. I was able to get a LOR from one professor who I was really close to, but didn't really feel comfortable asking other professors who I haven't even spoken to in over a year. I would say definitely get your LORs sent to LSAC senior year before you leave. You can always add another letter from your current employer so they know what you have been up to.

User avatar
aeiouy
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby aeiouy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:48 pm

Haha thanks, calexhg88 and SA1928.

If I still can't take December, I'll study my ass off for June (I have an easy Spring semester coming up) so I can be the first applicant to all my schools the following cycle..with an even better GPA, better LOR, and WE. This whole optimistic thing is so not me, but I can't get down when there are thousands out there getting the scores I want.

Eco
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Eco » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:13 am

^ You know, having a "cancel" on your record does nothing for your application. You put an addendum and say you were sick on that day. No big deal. You missed out on a chance to take a real-life situation practice test.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Ocean64 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Eco wrote:^ You know, having a "cancel" on your record does nothing for your application. You put an addendum and say you were sick on that day. No big deal. You missed out on a chance to take a real-life situation practice test.


a cancel counts against the 3 times in 2 years rule if you decide to retake a second or third time. that can be useful if you REALLY do get sick that one day.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests