Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:05 am

I have a pretty low GPA (around 3.2, last transcript is taking a while to get in), and I'm currently averaging around 163. My goal is to break into the 170s, which is appearing to be a very long shot for next weeks test, which I am registered for. I'm confident the improvements I could make with two extra months to study would be enough to mitigate the loss of the early application advantage, but considering that it seems that the majority of schools take your highest LSAT score, might it be worth it to still take the test for the experience it would give?

Also, could I potentially submit apps early (with October score) along with a disclaimer of sorts regarding me re-taking the LSAT in December, so that when I receive my second score, I could get it out as quickly as possible?

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 am

Take the test. If you are going to apply with a 163/3.2 you will have a huge advantage applying now instead of waiting until Dec. to apply with that score.

Take the test. If you are not happy w/ the score retake in Dec. but from what I have learned from going through my last admission cycle and getting into a school that I did not have the # for was that applying early is a huge boost.

So take get a score that will allow you to apply and retake.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 am

jarofsoup wrote:Take the test. If you are going to apply with a 163/3.2 you will have a huge advantage applying now instead of waiting until Dec. to apply with that score.

Take the test. If you are not happy w/ the score retake in Dec. but from what I have learned from going through my last admission cycle and getting into a school that I did not have the # for was that applying early is a huge boost.

So take get a score that will allow you to apply and retake.



I figured it would make sense to just take it, unless I thought I was really going to bomb it.


Another concern I have is that as I continue studying for next week, I'll be burning through the newer materials (PT62-63 namely) that I might want for prepping for a retake. Should I use some older PTs or more drilling, or am I over-thinking it?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:36 am

jarofsoup wrote:Take the test. If you are going to apply with a 163/3.2 you will have a huge advantage applying now instead of waiting until Dec. to apply with that score.

Take the test. If you are not happy w/ the score retake in Dec. but from what I have learned from going through my last admission cycle and getting into a school that I did not have the # for was that applying early is a huge boost.

So take get a score that will allow you to apply and retake.



100% agreed. Schools want good numbers, they really dont care, outside the super elite (hys, maybe ccn) if you had mulitple scores.

Take lsat. Apply with 163. Keep studying. Take again, If you get better score, send it in.

either that OR:

Study take lsat 6 months from now, wait till this early next year and apply (your bes tchoice)

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:49 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Take the test. If you are going to apply with a 163/3.2 you will have a huge advantage applying now instead of waiting until Dec. to apply with that score.

Take the test. If you are not happy w/ the score retake in Dec. but from what I have learned from going through my last admission cycle and getting into a school that I did not have the # for was that applying early is a huge boost.

So take get a score that will allow you to apply and retake.



100% agreed. Schools want good numbers, they really dont care, outside the super elite (hys, maybe ccn) if you had mulitple scores.

Take lsat. Apply with 163. Keep studying. Take again, If you get better score, send it in.

either that OR:

Study take lsat 6 months from now, wait till this early next year and apply (your bes tchoice)


I suppose that last option would give me 2 years of full-time WE, but another year out of school, I'm not so sure :shock:

Ronburgandy2468
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:49 am

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:01 am

Do you get more or less $$ from schools if you apply early?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Ronburgandy2468 wrote:Do you get more or less $$ from schools if you apply early?



more.

Last cycle,
I applied pretty early to UGA and got a 15k scholly offer.
Someone with same gpa and 1-point better lsat, who applied pretty late in the cycle, got wait-listed.


Applying late in a cycle is one of the stupidest moves you can make.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Ronburgandy2468 wrote:Do you get more or less $$ from schools if you apply early?



more.

Last cycle,
I applied pretty early to UGA and got a 15k scholly offer.
Someone with same gpa and 1-point better lsat, who applied pretty late in the cycle, got wait-listed.


Applying late in a cycle is one of the stupidest moves you can make.



Damn I did not know this. I'd be more than happy with one of the TT near me (Temple, Rutgers) if it meant a bit of $$

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:53 pm

So is my concern about using up all my newer PTs for this upcoming test misplaced?

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:58 pm

emarxnj wrote:So is my concern about using up all my newer PTs for this upcoming test misplaced?


If you're happy with a score around what you've been averaging, yes your concern is misplaced. If you're taking October seriously, of course you should go all-out and maximize your chances of doing well, ie doing and reviewing all the newest PTs.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby minnbills » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Think of this test as prep for the real deal in december. I was way way less nervous the 2nd time I took the LSAT and it showed on my score (+6) even though I had actually studied less the 2nd time around.

Don't kill yourself with studying this week, at this point you will get a better score making sure you are mentally fresh and ready rather than trying to prep harder to break 170.

Good luck!

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:53 pm

minnbills wrote:Think of this test as prep for the real deal in december. I was way way less nervous the 2nd time I took the LSAT and it showed on my score (+6) even though I had actually studied less the 2nd time around.

Don't kill yourself with studying this week, at this point you will get a better score making sure you are mentally fresh and ready rather than trying to prep harder to break 170.

Good luck!



Thanks for the advice! I figured experiencing test day and my test center would really help with confidence on a future test. Maybe I'll just review my bibles and drill a few sections this week rather than burn through any more PTs.



Edit: One more question, any answers to what I mentioned about applying with the October score and noting I would send in another in December, say, if the school waitlisted or denied me based on the first?

User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:31 pm

.
Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:44 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:I'm in the same boat as you. I just went to a testing company yesterday and took the June 2007 exam. Unfortunately I've been a little loose with the timing giving myself about 2-3 minutes over per section and thinking "eh, I'll clear that up before game day". Well, it's almost game day and friend I effed that one up :) With the couple extra minutes I usually get 160-165. Yesterday I got a hard 151. Realistically, I think some off it also had to do with just switching over to the analog watch yesterday as well (again, I am a true genius :roll: ), but it made me feel like incredible amounts of crap. Just have to hope I pace myself better in October and if not by then, December it is. (by the way does anyone know if it's still possible to order one of those fancy watches with the 35 minutes spanned out in different colors before next Saturday?)

Anyway OP, I'd like to know more about the answer to the question you have as well. I checked with Georgetown and they said they wouldn't review the application until it was complete (meaning they had my second LSAT score) unless I asked them to which of course depending on the score may mean outright rejection. So, even if I applied early which I still might do, they wouldn't review my file at all until the second score came in. I don't get the impression that you get extra points just for sending a file in early that isn't read until a date that is considered a bit late (in January), but I hope I'm wrong. At any rate, you'd (we'd) at least have all the other bits and pieces out of the way and only have to wait on a December score.

Best of luck to you on Saturday and if we have to take again in December, we'll make it happen. 8)



Yeah, I figured there wouldn't be any of the early application benefits, but at least all you need to do in December is get them the new score. I'd like to hear from someone who has done this.

As much as I'd love to just take it this week, hit my goal, and be done with it, it's looking like December might have to happen. I've already got my study plan for October and November all laid out, which probably isn't a sign of great confidence!

Good luck to you as well, and I'll see ya in the December 2011 Study Group (but hopefully not!)

User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:25 pm

.
Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Ocean64 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm in the same exact position. I'm saving PT46-49 and possibly one of the 60s in case in don't do well this October...on the upside, we are much better off than people who will be in our position around the December test, cuz February is not really an option....i also gave a good amount of thought and i decided that it would be stupid not to take it in October, considering that most schools take the highest score and that we would be wasting a chance that may yield a good enough score and an early application.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:17 pm

At this point I feel good about taking the test this week and most likely re-taking in December, but I've become pretty apathetic about studying this week, half because I know I'm going to retake, half because I don't want to use any more materials. Really regretting skimping on studying for most of the summer.

To the couple of you who said you were in the same or similar situation, what are you doing this week as far as studying?

User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby TIKITEMBO » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:01 am

.
Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Ocean64 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:48 pm

I'm gonna do 3 PTs and review them thoroughly. because i am taking it and it will forever show on my record, it's worth giving it my best shot. also, consider the fact that you are studying the material, not like what you study now will be wasted in any shape or form. you can even retake a test and still get something out of it. add to that the fact that there is a chance that you may do well enough and be satisfied with your score and have an early application, even if it's a small chance. just study as well as you can for the next 3 days and give it what you can, then come back and we'll discuss December then.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 am

I'm going to do a PT today if I can muster it, I'm working full time and frankly not getting enough sleep and it's starting to take a toll on me.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Ocean64 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:38 pm

sounds like you too are having a rough end of week as i am...you know i was thinking about something else today, money. i feel like if i do take the test this Saturday and i get a score in the mid 160s, which's best case scenario for me right now, because i been skimping too much on hardcore studying for the past month or so, and i have not met even half of the schedule i set for myself. anyways, i was thinking that even if i do get say 165, whichs a good score in my opinion, i'm still gonna have to retake because i feel like i'd need a higher score than that to get some $$ at a decent school that's likely to get me a job after graduation. I'm not at all rich and i will have to borrow almost all of the cost for school, so I been thinking about pushing it till December by which time I should be ready, because at the end of the day getting in is simply not enough in my case, i need $$ from the school if i am to make economic sense of my investment of 3 years of my life in law school and tens of thousands of dollars.

i know these aren't encouraging words, but the money consideration is messing me up at the moment.

the real question is:
is test day experience worth having mediocre score on my record/ a cancellation? (provided i will have a late application, a previous absence and sub 3.5 UGPA)

i'm leaning towards no.

User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby TIKITEMBO » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:37 pm

.
Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Ocean64 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:35 pm

yes, but consider the fact that my best case scenario at the moment is 165, which is not good enough for scholly at a decent school. if my goal (decent school with $$) seems relatively unattainable at the moment and a retake is imminent, i can only see taking it this weekend as a possible negative with no positives other than the "experience". i really hate not being able to apply early, but the alternative (getting into a tier 2 school with no $) would be worse given my financial state, and the current job market. perhaps a decision like this depends on personal circumstances at the end of the day.

User avatar
aeiouy
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby aeiouy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:55 pm

I don't think I'm understanding some of the responses.

So for those of you saying to take October, apply early, and still plan on taking December, how does that affect an already rendered decision based on your first score? Will they look at the December score and possibly change their answer (pending a much higher score, of course)?

I thought it was cut and dry - first score isn't good enough, better luck next cycle. Or am I mistaken? Is there something to gain from applying early with a decent score (with high chance of rejection) and letting them know you're also taking December?

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5715
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Not ready for next week, cancel or just do it?

Postby Easy-E » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:52 am

aeiouy wrote:I don't think I'm understanding some of the responses.

So for those of you saying to take October, apply early, and still plan on taking December, how does that affect an already rendered decision based on your first score? Will they look at the December score and possibly change their answer (pending a much higher score, of course)?

I thought it was cut and dry - first score isn't good enough, better luck next cycle. Or am I mistaken? Is there something to gain from applying early with a decent score (with high chance of rejection) and letting them know you're also taking December?



I assume you can apply more than once in a cycle. Your second question was one I was curious about too, but I'd imagine if you had already sent in an application, and were say, waitlisted, you might be able to send in a much better score and get admitted. I have no idea if this is typical or even possible, but I can't imagine why not.



EDIT: Pulled this off the "Applicant FAQ" sticky on the Admissions forum. Seemed pertinent.


"I'm retaking, but I want to submit some of my applications now. Can I do that?
or
If I submit apps now with the old score, will schools wait to review my file until the new score shows up?

If you ask them to. However, if you ask them to review it as is, they will probably do that too. You just need to e-mail them, let them know you've submitted an application, and tell them you would like them to wait for the new score before reviewing or to please consider your application complete without the new score and review your file as is.

They usually say they won't even look at your app if they know a second score is coming in later... unless you tell them specifically to consider your application complete without the new score.

I wouldn't do an addendum. They might not read it until they are reviewing your file, or possibly not at all. Just e-mail the Admissions office and let them know. That way you are sure they received the information.

-Lzyoverachiever"




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest