Hardest game first

laxbrah420

Hardest game first

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Everything I've read, (powerscore especially) has suggested taking games out of order -->easiest first. I disagree with this strategy, and I'd appreciate it if somebody could convince me why I shouldn't.

My thinking is like this: On easy games, you can rush and most likely still get the answers right. If you're taking more than 7 minutes on an easy game, it's because you're double checking your work. That's always a tough tradeoff though as you don't necessary know if you're going to get stuck on something later... On hard games however, they take longer because you're actually trying to derive something. Once you've figured it out, youre almost certainly going to get it right. As such --it makes sense that I get the hardest game finished and then speed up on the easier if necessary.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Hardest game first

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:31 pm

I have no idea how you could be sure which games are the easiest or hardest. That said, if you are totally stuck on the last couple questions of game 3 and the proctor calls out five minutes left, skip to game 4. At that point you have to put your energy where the points are.

I think the idea of doing easy games first makes sense for people who aren't likely to finish. Might as well spend the time you do have on games that can be completed rather than wasting time on a killer game.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Let's say that it is possible to definitively rank the games.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Then don't worry about it unless you have good reason to doubt you'll finish. In that case, easiest first to maximize points.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:47 pm

I would think you'd waste more time figuring out which games are harder (unless you can just glance at it and instantly know that sequencing=hard and binary grouping=easy for you) than you'd save by doing them in a particular order.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:03 pm

:lol:

This question is in response to advice saying do easiest first. I'm asking if my logic makes more sense in terms of pacing. Whether determining takes too long is not the issue. I'm pretty sure I can finish, but not totally confident. As such, i want to maximize my score --so I raised this question. "Easiest first to maximize" is simply the opposite of what my hypothesis is-- and provides no further clarity on the issue.

qbt1990

Postby qbt1990 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:20 pm

My instructor has given the following explanation for why you should do hard games last. Let's say you get a hard game third, and it takes you nearly all your time. If your fourth game is a very simple linear game and you only have 3 minutes to do it, (and you still possibly got points taken off on that very hard game) then you're wasting easy points that you could have gotten from the 4th easy game if you'd had more time. If that makes sense. I kind of see it the other way too though.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Maybe this will clarify my concerns:

iowalum wrote:If it makes you feel better I just started doing the 15-24/6 then 1-15 strategy last week and I've already seen an improvement. (I actually do 15-24/6, then 8-15, then 1-8), give it a try.

This is from logical reasoning thread. Why would instructors advocate a style like this for LR but the exact opposite for LGs?

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:48 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Maybe this will clarify my concerns:

iowalum wrote:If it makes you feel better I just started doing the 15-24/6 then 1-15 strategy last week and I've already seen an improvement. (I actually do 15-24/6, then 8-15, then 1-8), give it a try.

This is from logical reasoning thread. Why would instructors advocate a style like this for LR but the exact opposite for LGs?

I think it makes sense because in LR the hardest ones are almost always toward the end, but with LG they could be anywhere. At least for me it would take a long time to read through all of them to decide which ones are difficult. If you can do that quickly though, it could work for you. I think however you do it it's just important to be consistent.

NightmanCometh

Postby NightmanCometh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:06 pm

In response to the question "how do you find out which one is harder/easier"? I agree that this is difficult and maybe a waste of time, BUT I find that in almost all of the games sections I see, the easiest is always first. So your strategy would involve saving that one for last.

But I have to say, I've tried this "hardest first" strategy and there is a drawback- if you try a harder one first and you F up, then your confidence is shot for the next three games. For me personally this affects my performance. If the game requires a complicated deduction and you fail to get it, then you burn time and when you inevitably move on to the next game according to your pacing, that first game will stick in your head.

I now do the easy ones first, because regardless of whether you get all the deductions you can still brute force your way into the answers quickly, and you have gained a certain X number of points. You say you can "rush through" the easy one at the end; why not "rush through" it first, what's the difference? That way you will have confidence and momentum going into the second game, at least.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:48 pm

I generally give the following advice:

For LG, you tend to do better after 'warming up' a bit and getting your brain in a more mathematical mindset. So I generally recommend doing the easy LG first; this lets you pick up the easy points and get the juices flowing.

For RC, you tend to do better when you're fresh, so I recommend finding a more difficult passage (usually 3 or 4, usually some type of technical passage, usually 8 questions) and doing that first, so you tackle the material when you're fresh.

Will that work for everyone? Not even close. But personally, I find it's a good place to start with developing your own strategy for how to attack these sections. It really should be a personal decision. Though I'd definitely strongly recommend tackling the passages with 8 questions first.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”