167-172 Wait till december? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ag912

New

167-172 Wait till december?

Post by ag912 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm fluctuating pretty heavily between 167 and 172 with three of the last six practice tests I took being sub 170. I want a t1 school but since my gpa is 3.5 I'm pretty reliant on my lsat score to make or break me.

Considering that many schools take the highest score, should I just take the lsat in 10 days or study and wait? Being a splitter, will 2 points outweigh the loss of time in the rolling admissions cycle?

kahechsof

Bronze

Re: 167-172 Wait till december?

Post by kahechsof » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:33 pm

I go back to december

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm in a similar boat, not quite at my target score as a splitter, though thankfully hanging out on the better side of 170. From what I gathered here the law schools are pretty decent at taking the better of your two schools, so IMO it might be worth it to just take it in Oct on the chance that you reach your goal and can apply early, then keep the December test as a backup option.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:21 pm

Both? You are well within T-1 territory with that GPA and a 167. I'd take October and then if things don't work out study like crazy for a month and re-take in December. Spend October getting the apps ready to go.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:22 pm

If you do it in October, you can apply early to schools you want. For example, with a 167 and a 3.5, you could ED to a lot of schools in the T-20 and have a good chance at getting in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mahdian

New

Post by mahdian » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:29 pm

i am also grappling with this decision... im trying to decide if i should even take it in oct or withdraw and wait until december. will schools actually wait to see what my next score is if i take the test in oct and submit apps?

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:26 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Both? You are well within T-1 territory with that GPA and a 167. I'd take October and then if things don't work out study like crazy for a month and re-take in December. Spend October getting the apps ready to go.
To Tiago and other people who's opinion I trust, what you would say to someone with an almost identical pt average, but 3.37 GPA that is also URM? (Half-Mexican URM).

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:30 am

I am in a similar situation. Destroying the RC/LR, but getting destroyed on LG. Most people start out with LG in their prep, but I started out with LR and RC. Didn't really have time to prep for LG. I am wondering if I should withdraw from October and register for Dec.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:31 am

kahechsof wrote:I go back to december
all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:44 am

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:I am in a similar situation. Destroying the RC/LR, but getting destroyed on LG. Most people start out with LG in their prep, but I started out with LR and RC. Didn't really have time to prep for LG. I am wondering if I should withdraw from October and register for Dec.
Hey dude, I think you can improve in time. I went from -16 (first timed LG) to averaging -1 to -3 in a couple weeks. I just drilled repeatedly, at one point even doing 6 or 8 games sections (yeah, 24 or 32 individual games PER day. You can get good really fast. I'm not a natural either. Try spending a couple days going through Pt ~20-~30, those games are pretty tough. Keep doing them until you can get them all done perfectly and within time. Do all the hardest, most notorious games you can find, and don't give up til you can do those perfectly and on time. If you drill games like this hardcore I'm sure you can get -0 on test day. (Disclaimer: don't neglect the other sections though)

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:47 am

horrorbusiness wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Both? You are well within T-1 territory with that GPA and a 167. I'd take October and then if things don't work out study like crazy for a month and re-take in December. Spend October getting the apps ready to go.
To Tiago and other people who's opinion I trust, what you would say to someone with an almost identical pt average, but 3.37 GPA that is also URM? (Half-Mexican URM).
If you've put in the time, take the test in october. Crazy things can happen on test day; my score in June was a point higher than my best pt. If you end up with a 167 or less just retake it. I don't see the urm aspect changing the advice. I'd only postpone if you were clearly unprepared, but getting into the 170s now means that's not the case.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:50 am

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:I am in a similar situation. Destroying the RC/LR, but getting destroyed on LG. Most people start out with LG in their prep, but I started out with LR and RC. Didn't really have time to prep for LG. I am wondering if I should withdraw from October and register for Dec.
This might be a situation where postponing is a good idea. At the very least, go into October as prepared as possible but be ready to cancel your score if an LG meltdown takes place.

Anyone trying for a legit lsat score should expect -0 on games. Those are free points.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:00 am

Last edited by Odd Future Wolf Gang on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ag912

New

Post by ag912 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:15 am

Im just unsure because I really want cornell!

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:19 am

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:See the thing is:

1) I already took the test last October (with like a month of prep). Cancelled it after the test.

2) I already graduated, so I am already taking a gap year working full-time (partly the reason why I was so short on time in my prep this summer). Not really trying to risk getting shut out this cycle and having to wait another year to apply. This is what worries me about pushing the test back to December. I will probably miss all the ED deadlines, save UVA and GULC. And even then, by the time I get my December score, I am sure the whole 170+ -> UVA ED isn't a sure bet anymore.

3) Horrorbusiness, thanks for the words of encouragement bro. I just spent too much time prepping for LR to near perfection that I left no time for LG prep. People talk about seeing "patterns," in LG but I am just not seeing it. I mean, apart from the rules that the games give me, I am generally unable to see how certain inferences are made (I can make the obvious ones, but not the "hidden" ones). Plus, I just find myself doing a lot of plug and chug different answer choices to see which ones are right. This is eating up a huge amount of my time.

I've actually been doing about 10 games a day, but I don't know if I can really improve in, what, like two weeks?
I'd still kill to be you. I've been studying all summer and have never gotten a -0 on LR. Some -1's and -2's, but usually I average like -8 to -10 LR (both sections total). I think my best LR total has been -5. I feel like I'd have to get super lucky to not make the silly LR mistakes that keep me from the golden -5 or less combined LR range.

Anyway, there are LG patterns that you HAVE to recognize. Certain things will come with experience.. When I look at my diagramming now, it's evolved a LOT from when I first started. I developed my own intuitive style (borrowing heavily from powerscore and manhattan but changing things I didn't like) and made sure it was reliable and organized. I learned the value of storing hypos and re-using them for later questions. I learned an intuitive sense of when I've made enough inferences and I need to start attacking questions, etc. I learned that if any two LG answer choices differ ONLY by including two equally-bound variables they both HAVE to be wrong (this saves an incredible amount of time eliminating wrong answer choices). Small, personal things like that have made me capable of getting -0 consistently on games (though i need to stop rushing, and mis-diagramming simple rules that often cost me a couple points). This all comes with repeatedly drilling LG, and only through drilling LG. Keep at it. Also, really focus on your weakest game types.

mmk33

Bronze

Post by mmk33 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm in the same boat. PTs 50-60 have ranged between 167-174, and I was disappointed to get 167 on PT#60 (today) where I got a $%&# -7 on LG when I ran out of time. I have three PTs left to take, and am going to spend the rest of the time drilling LG and reviewing LR questions. I think it would be crazy to delay until December, since why not give yourself an extra shot? My plan is to sit for the test in two weeks and if I get 170+ I will keep it (I'm only interested in Duke and UVA, and I have a 3.73), and if lower I will retake. I have to say I never would have guessed how incredibly frustrating LSAT studying is where so few questions matter so much, and factors like your mood, interest level, focus, distractions, can affect your PT score.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”