what to do about this??

richie222
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 pm

what to do about this??

Postby richie222 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:10 pm

My lsat prep for october is going pretty well for me since I am consistently PT'ing in the range I am aiming for. However, I have this concern about the day on which I am taking the exam. Twice now I have dropped into the very low 160 range, and both of those days were PT's taken on Saturday morning. If I had to guess a reason why, it would be because for most of undergrad and high school friday and saturday i was not used to doing any type of work, let alone taking a timed 3 hour exam, instead going out and getting hammered friday night, waking up late saturday, then going out saturday and getting hammered again ( i'm sure alot of you had similar habits). I hope this trend of low scores on saturdays does not carry over to the real thing. I'm thinking maybe should try like a 5 hour energy or something before so that I am awake and alert and focused. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: what to do about this??

Postby dietcoke0 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Sounds like a bad logical reasoning question. You really think your body knows it's Saturday?

User avatar
Horsefeathers
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: what to do about this??

Postby Horsefeathers » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:08 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Sounds like a bad logical reasoning question. You really think your body knows it's Saturday?


Yes. Might there be other, more plausible explanations? I.e. You're tired from the week?


...Alternative: You could try PTing while plastered.

totaltest.milan
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: what to do about this??

Postby totaltest.milan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Make sure to get a good night's rest and don't worry about it too much, you'll have a decent amount of adrenaline in your system to keep you up alert on test day.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: what to do about this??

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:44 am

dietcoke0 wrote:Sounds like a bad logical reasoning question. You really think your body knows it's Saturday?


Your body does know it's Saturday - it gets used to a 'schedule' that you put it on.

OP, are you waking up for those PTs earlier than you would normally wake up, either during the week or on a regular Saturday? Are you taking other PTs early in the morning on non-Saturday days? What are you doing Friday nights?

User avatar
tehrocstar
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:12 am

Re: what to do about this??

Postby tehrocstar » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:12 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Sounds like a bad logical reasoning question. You really think your body knows it's Saturday?


I seriously doubt that your body can know what day of the week it is. Sure you respond to external cues that make it feel like a certain day of the week, but your body has no way of inherently knowing what day of the week it is. Circadian rhythms is the only rhythm or pattern I've encountered that involves sleep and wake cycles. The basis of this is a 24 hour period.

It's very important to get the same amount of sleep and the right amount of sleep everyday to feel refreshed. Equally as important is to go to bed and wake up at the same time. Establish this for a couple of days up to 3 weeks, and you'll no longer need caffeine. If you do have to cut your sleep a bit, it's more important to wake up at the same time, rather than fall asleep at the same time.

You're probably not achieving the consistency in your sleep you need, and/or doing something different towards the end of the week that's affecting your sleep. Whether this is drinking alcohol, taking caffeine or doing a grueling workout on Friday nights.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: what to do about this??

Postby JazzOne » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:31 pm

tehrocstar wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Sounds like a bad logical reasoning question. You really think your body knows it's Saturday?


I seriously doubt that your body can know what day of the week it is. Sure you respond to external cues that make it feel like a certain day of the week, but your body has no way of inherently knowing what day of the week it is. Circadian rhythms is the only rhythm or pattern I've encountered that involves sleep and wake cycles. The basis of this is a 24 hour period.

It's very important to get the same amount of sleep and the right amount of sleep everyday to feel refreshed. Equally as important is to go to bed and wake up at the same time. Establish this for a couple of days up to 3 weeks, and you'll no longer need caffeine. If you do have to cut your sleep a bit, it's more important to wake up at the same time, rather than fall asleep at the same time.

You're probably not achieving the consistency in your sleep you need, and/or doing something different towards the end of the week that's affecting your sleep. Whether this is drinking alcohol, taking caffeine or doing a grueling workout on Friday nights.

Isn't your brain part of your body? If so, then I'd say your body knows when it's Saturday (unless you're still too drunk from Friday night).

User avatar
tehrocstar
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:12 am

Re: what to do about this??

Postby tehrocstar » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:22 pm

well in this thread, the word body most closely means the subconscious mind. so the argument isn't really between in vs out of body knowing(?), but rather between subconscious vs conscious thought. 8)

nmare
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:44 am

Re: what to do about this??

Postby nmare » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 pm

richie222 wrote:My lsat prep for october is going pretty well for me since I am consistently PT'ing in the range I am aiming for. However, I have this concern about the day on which I am taking the exam. Twice now I have dropped into the very low 160 range, and both of those days were PT's taken on Saturday morning. If I had to guess a reason why, it would be because for most of undergrad and high school friday and saturday i was not used to doing any type of work, let alone taking a timed 3 hour exam, instead going out and getting hammered friday night, waking up late saturday, then going out saturday and getting hammered again ( i'm sure alot of you had similar habits). I hope this trend of low scores on saturdays does not carry over to the real thing. I'm thinking maybe should try like a 5 hour energy or something before so that I am awake and alert and focused. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Which of the following casts most doubt on the reasoning above?
a) Richie222 is still in college and gets hammered every Friday night.
b) Richie222 never wakes up early Saturday mornings.
c) Richie222 has frequently scored 168+ PT's, many of which were on a Saturday morning.
d) Richie222's body is more alert and focused upon taking a 5 hour energy.
e) Richie222 has never scored higher than a 160 on a Saturday morning.

imjustjoking22
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:46 am

Re: what to do about this??

Postby imjustjoking22 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:37 pm

richie222 wrote:My lsat prep for october is going pretty well for me since I am consistently PT'ing in the range I am aiming for. However, I have this concern about the day on which I am taking the exam. Twice now I have dropped into the very low 160 range, and both of those days were PT's taken on Saturday morning. If I had to guess a reason why, it would be because for most of undergrad and high school friday and saturday i was not used to doing any type of work, let alone taking a timed 3 hour exam, instead going out and getting hammered friday night, waking up late saturday, then going out saturday and getting hammered again ( i'm sure alot of you had similar habits). I hope this trend of low scores on saturdays does not carry over to the real thing. I'm thinking maybe should try like a 5 hour energy or something before so that I am awake and alert and focused. does anyone have any thoughts on this?


Image

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: what to do about this??

Postby bp shinners » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:45 pm

tehrocstar wrote:well in this thread, the word body most closely means the subconscious mind. so the argument isn't really between in vs out of body knowing(?), but rather between subconscious vs conscious thought. 8)


Your argument seems to be assuming that there is no communication between those two, at least in the conscious->subconscious direction.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, galeatus, Instrumental, MSNbot Media, qemini1594, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests