When is a good time to take the LSAC

sammy416

When is a good time to take the LSAC

Postby sammy416 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:54 pm

During your undergrad or after?

stuffnuff

Re: When is a good time to take the LSAC

Postby stuffnuff » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:57 pm

I would say a good time to take the LSAT (LSAC is the organization that administers the LSAT) is after. Personal opinion based on what I did, but I would say it ultimately depends on what your situation is/what you expect it to be after graduation.

totaltest.milan

Re: When is a good time to take the LSAC

Postby totaltest.milan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:37 pm

First we take Manhattan. Then we take Berlin. Then we take LSAC.

For those of you who don't listen to Leonard Cohen you should.

I tell all, and I mean all, of my students to take the LSAT after undergrad if they can. I also tell them that they should look into moving abroad and teaching English for a year or two. Neither law schools nor law firms will penalize you if you take a couple of years off. On the contrary, being a couple of years older/wiser/more experienced/perhaps with an additional language/etc will make you a more attractive candidate. Who would you rather hire as an associate, the guy who went straight from college to law school or the gal who spent a couple of years in Buenos Aires before law school and not only learned Spanish but more general social skills?

Speaking from personal experience, I've definitely gotten smarter since leaving college - in terms of my ability to understand and absorb new information. And that's a consequence of doing intellectually challenging things since graduating (like teaching myself how to write computer code for example), and that definitely helped me do better on the test. Along with more general aspects of maturity.

That being said, if you graduate and then get a job which will leave you with very little time to prepare then it might be a better idea to take it during school if you can prepare adequately.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”