If Junior -> December?

nblumen
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:47 pm

If Junior -> December?

Postby nblumen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:19 pm

I've taken a bunch of LSAT prep tests and have gotten the following scores as my most recent results: 167, 166, 167, 165, 167

However, I'm finding that there's a weird curve for any Sept/Oct test that's much harder than the others it seems. I thought this last test, my score would have really gone up due to all of my practicing and studying, but it's back at 167. The thing is I got -13 on this test, and in other tests, like those issued in December, -13 is equivalent to a 170. That's a huge difference!

Is Sept/Oct's test typically taken by more experienced test takers, like seniors who already took the test and are working hard to get those few extra points tacked onto their previous score? Is the curve essentially harder as a result? If I'm a junior should I postpone until, say, December because there will be less experienced test takers and the curve is easier? Is the curve actually harder/easier depending on when you take the LSAT?

Thanks for your help!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: If Junior -> December?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:22 pm

nblumen wrote:I've taken a bunch of LSAT prep tests and have gotten the following scores as my most recent results: 167, 166, 167, 165, 167

However, I'm finding that there's a weird curve for any Sept/Oct test that's much harder than the others it seems. I thought this last test, my score would have really gone up due to all of my practicing and studying, but it's back at 167. The thing is I got -13 on this test, and in other tests, like those issued in December, -13 is equivalent to a 170. That's a huge difference!

Is Sept/Oct's test typically taken by more experienced test takers, like seniors who already took the test and are working hard to get those few extra points tacked onto their previous score? Is the curve essentially harder as a result? If I'm a junior should I postpone until, say, December because there will be less experienced test takers and the curve is easier? Is the curve actually harder/easier depending on when you take the LSAT?

Thanks for your help!

The curve is basically determined before we walk in the door. While some blogs have noted an easier curve for December tests over the last several years, this is not something worth choosing your test over.

nblumen
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: If Junior -> December?

Postby nblumen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:28 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
nblumen wrote:I've taken a bunch of LSAT prep tests and have gotten the following scores as my most recent results: 167, 166, 167, 165, 167

However, I'm finding that there's a weird curve for any Sept/Oct test that's much harder than the others it seems. I thought this last test, my score would have really gone up due to all of my practicing and studying, but it's back at 167. The thing is I got -13 on this test, and in other tests, like those issued in December, -13 is equivalent to a 170. That's a huge difference!

Is Sept/Oct's test typically taken by more experienced test takers, like seniors who already took the test and are working hard to get those few extra points tacked onto their previous score? Is the curve essentially harder as a result? If I'm a junior should I postpone until, say, December because there will be less experienced test takers and the curve is easier? Is the curve actually harder/easier depending on when you take the LSAT?

Thanks for your help!

The curve is basically determined before we walk in the door. While some blogs have noted an easier curve for December tests over the last several years, this is not something worth choosing your test over.


Do they make the curve knowing that more advanced test takers tend to take the Sept/Oct exam? Or am I likely to get the same score on the LSAT no matter which test date I take for the most part?

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: If Junior -> December?

Postby KevinP » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:03 am

nblumen wrote:Do they make the curve knowing that more advanced test takers tend to take the Sept/Oct exam? Or am I likely to get the same score on the LSAT no matter which test date I take for the most part?

The LSAT isn't technically curved. The raw-to-scale conversion charts are set in advance through a statistical process known as equating.

The bolded. The more forgiving the "curve", the harder the test is.

User avatar
aeiouy
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 am

Re: If Junior -> December?

Postby aeiouy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:44 pm

As a junior, wouldn't you want to take the extra time to really get the best score you can by going for the June administration? It's not like you can apply any earlier for the 2013 cycle if you take October 2011, December 2011, or June 2012.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: If Junior -> December?

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:31 pm

aeiouy wrote:As a junior, wouldn't you want to take the extra time to really get the best score you can by going for the June administration? It's not like you can apply any earlier for the 2013 cycle if you take October 2011, December 2011, or June 2012.



Taking it in December doesn't rule out taking it in June. It gives him time to retake if he messes up.

tng11
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: If Junior -> December?

Postby tng11 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:39 pm

...
Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mmk33
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: If Junior -> December?

Postby mmk33 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:52 pm

After reading this post I checked my score history, and on PTs 52-59 my three lowest scores are Sept/Oct, which is a little bit cause for concern since I'm taking the test in 12 days. On the other hand, obviously this isn't a large enough sample. So now I'm reading all of these internet posts on the difficulty of the Oct exam.....




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dontsaywhatyoumean and 6 guests