Need LR Advice - 2 Weeks Away

stabiloboss

Need LR Advice - 2 Weeks Away

Postby stabiloboss » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm PTing around 165 these days, and the only thing holding me back is Logical Reasoning. I consistently go about -12 total for both sections, and it's not that I get the questions wrong purposely, it's more that I can't get them right because of time pressure and sometimes when I read the stimulus I don't grasp what's going on well enough.

There's only 2 weeks left, so I wanted to know what I can do to minimize my mistakes. I'm taking a PT every other day, and I'm in a Testmasters course.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

170hopeful

Re: Need LR Advice - 2 Weeks Away

Postby 170hopeful » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. My LG is pretty much perfection at his point, RC has been steadily getting better. LR is my Achilles heel. I don't know what I can change at this point. I've been through the LR bible ad nausea. I'd really like some more experienced people to chime in on this topic. LR is killing me and it's not coming from one specific question type. It's usually the 3-4 star questions that trip me up the most. Help please? :)

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:12 pm

go back to your mistakes

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm stealing this from the October 2011 Study Group, but this helped me a lot. I go and do questions 10/11/12 - I just start on the question that pops up on the page that these fall in to, so obviously it varies. But I did those questions, in this case 13-25, and then went back and did the first questions, and I got -1 on the first section, and -3 on the second. I used to get -12 wrong as well - at least.

I think it was JammasterJ that posted that, but I saw it this morning. I'm going to do another test tomorrow to see if it holds.

*Sorry for rambling. Do the "third" and "fourth fold" first - the hardest questions, and then you don't get caught up in the easier questions. That sounds more succinct.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:36 pm

stabiloboss wrote:I'm PTing around 165 these days, and the only thing holding me back is Logical Reasoning. I consistently go about -12 total for both sections, and it's not that I get the questions wrong purposely, it's more that I can't get them right because of time pressure and sometimes when I read the stimulus I don't grasp what's going on well enough.

There's only 2 weeks left, so I wanted to know what I can do to minimize my mistakes. I'm taking a PT every other day, and I'm in a Testmasters course.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Did you really have to clarify that you aren't getting questions wrong purposely?

If you are missing that many on LR, I would take at least a day a week to drill question types you miss consistently. That helped me improve my score dramatically. Make sure you are throughly reviewing the questions you missed.

This review method is super helpful:
lrslayer wrote:Hi guys, just got on for the day.
The LR review I found was in one of Dave Hall's free podcasts.
If you want to download them, it is called "LSAT Kung Fu".
The particular podcast is FAQ 1.
He explains to go through every question (though i am only doing those i miss or am not certain on) and answer 8 questions:
1. what am i being asked to do
2. what should the correct answer do
3. what should the answer look like (prephrase)
4. what might a wrong answer look like
5. whats the conclusion
6. whats the flaw (if any)
7. how does this flaw look like ones i have seen in other questions
8. what are some keywords that will help me pick the right answer

and i made an excel spreadsheet and started filling it out.
i also added a "correct answer" column.
this method of review really helps in learning the patterns of the lsat.

before this review, i was going between -3 to -7 erratically and just in time.
after this review, i went -1 and -2 today and both under 30 minutes.
had i spent the five minutes to go back and check my circled question i would have gone -0 in both.
i had the mrs bugging me that we had to hurry up and get out of the house or i would have :)

so that is it! i am so excited because lr was really the thing keeping me from getting my 180!
I EXPECT MY FIRST ONE THIS WEEK!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”