Can't break past -4 on LR.. !! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gabby831

New

Can't break past -4 on LR.. !!

Post by gabby831 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi!

I've been studying for the LSAT since last February-ish. I took a Kaplan "Extreme" class, read all Bibles front to back, and even did some extra RC work in the Manhattan book. My diagnostic was pretty dece, I got a 153 on day 1 and 3 weeks into practicing I broke into the 160s. So far on PTs I've brought my average up to 166-169 and have scored in the 170's twice! Im taking the LSAT october 1st and, probably like most of you, Im in crunch time mode. My typical test break down on a timed PT is -4LR -1LG -5RC and -4LR. I think I can iron out my issues with LG and get to -0 by test day, and RC is usually my most difficult section so im happy with a -5.

LR, however, is driving me insane! I don't know why, but it seems like I can NEVER get less than 4 wrong. It's so frustrating because LR is my favorite section and I know Im capable of getting them all correct within 35 mins, I just don't know why its not happening?! I guess im just posting this to see if anyone else is in my boat, and maybe has a suggestion for getting past this?? I guess this is kind of my desperate cry for a new idea, I take timed sections everyday for practice and when I review the couple I get wrong its usually 1 or 2 dumb mistakes and 2 that just went right over my head. Annyyyy advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking time to read this and good luck studying!

JustE

Silver

Re: Can't break past -4 on LR.. !!

Post by JustE » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:14 pm

gabby831 wrote:Hi!

I've been studying for the LSAT since last February-ish. I took a Kaplan "Extreme" class, read all Bibles front to back, and even did some extra RC work in the Manhattan book. My diagnostic was pretty dece, I got a 153 on day 1 and 3 weeks into practicing I broke into the 160s. So far on PTs I've brought my average up to 166-169 and have scored in the 170's twice! Im taking the LSAT october 1st and, probably like most of you, Im in crunch time mode. My typical test break down on a timed PT is -4LR -1LG -5RC and -4LR. I think I can iron out my issues with LG and get to -0 by test day, and RC is usually my most difficult section so im happy with a -5.

LR, however, is driving me insane! I don't know why, but it seems like I can NEVER get less than 4 wrong. It's so frustrating because LR is my favorite section and I know Im capable of getting them all correct within 35 mins, I just don't know why its not happening?! I guess im just posting this to see if anyone else is in my boat, and maybe has a suggestion for getting past this?? I guess this is kind of my desperate cry for a new idea, I take timed sections everyday for practice and when I review the couple I get wrong its usually 1 or 2 dumb mistakes and 2 that just went right over my head. Annyyyy advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking time to read this and good luck studying!
Same boat here. You should check out the October 2011 study group. There was some amazing advice given in the last week on the LR sections. It mainly involves listening to the Velocity LSAT FAQ1 podcast and doing the excersice they recommend. You review LR sections, asking yourself 9 questions as you do each one. I was in your boat last week and my most recent LSAT was LR1 -0 LR2 -5.

Also, a user (jam somthing?) recommends doing questions 11-26 first on each LR section. This allows you to tackle the tougher questions in the first 20 mins, while you are fresh. I normally finish 1-10 pretty quickly and without any problem afterwards. It has helped tremendously with timing.

That's all for now. PM me your email address if you'd like the excel sheet I created with the questions for review. Good luck!

E

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”