Language in Flaws.

paulshortys10

Language in Flaws.

Postby paulshortys10 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:18 am

Flaws ask to answer the flaw in a different amount of ways, "the argument is most vulnerable because", "the argument fails because", "the argument presumes" ect ect. What's the difference between all the different ways they ask for the flaw and how do you attack each different type.

ALso i noticed some of them don't say "Most" in the question stem. Do these just have 1 possible flaw, compared to ones that do say "most", do those have more than 1 possible flaw, although 1 is better?

My other question has to do with the way Flaw answer choices are worded. Some of them say "presumes" "overlooks" "takes for granted" "relies on". ect ect. What are the differences between these.

I feel I'm having major problems on these questions mainly because of their language

tyro

Re: Language in Flaws.

Postby tyro » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:23 am

I see a lot of flaws in your language.

But honestly, look for trends in the actual flaws rather than the language that links the stimulus to the answer choices.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:52 am

Honestly, what's more important is what comes after the dicta you're asking about. 'Presumes', 'takes for granted', 'assumes', 'acts as if...' are all the same thing really even if technically there are differences. The flaw is always that there's an assumption and you just have to identify it. Most of the time you can get the answer by prephrasing it imo. Where does it fuck up in the question? I dunno if that's good advice or not but I get 'flaw' questions like that knocked out p quick

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:29 am

paulshortys10 wrote:Flaws ask to answer the flaw in a different amount of ways, "the argument is most vulnerable because", "the argument fails because", "the argument presumes" ect ect. What's the difference between all the different ways they ask for the flaw and how do you attack each different type.

No difference.

ALso i noticed some of them don't say "Most" in the question stem. Do these just have 1 possible flaw, compared to ones that do say "most", do those have more than 1 possible flaw, although 1 is better?

From what I've seen, there is no correlation between the word 'most' in the prompt and whether or not there are multiple flaws in the stimulus. Even when there are multiple flaws, however, only one will show up in the answer choices (like the Jennifer on the Eagles question - 2 flaws, only one in the answers). The once exception to this is flaw EXCEPT questions. But other than that, only one answer choice will have a flaw that is committed by the stimulus.

My other question has to do with the way Flaw answer choices are worded. Some of them say "presumes" "overlooks" "takes for granted" "relies on". ect ect. What are the differences between these.

Presumes=overlooks=takes for granted=ASSUMES; all of them mean the same thing.

I feel I'm having major problems on these questions mainly because of their language

If you're approaching them differently, then that's a problem. However, from your question, it seems as if you're approaching them the same way but are looking for a different method because it's not working for you. In which case, you'll need a different method, but not with respect to the prompt. They all ask the same question (with very few exceptions), and there's always only one correct answer (and 4 wrong answers, not 1 correct, 1 less correct, and 3 wrong).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”