160 by october?

moose26

160 by october?

Postby moose26 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Hey everyone,
I have been studying very hard since the beginning of June. I took a cold practice test, scored a 142... I took a powerscore test and right now I am studying on my own, taking 1-2 practice tests a week. I have taken 6 practice tests so far (150,155,152,158,156,151). Is it possible to bump my score up? Right now I am taking the tests, going over them, and focusing on reading comp/a few logic reasoning (as those are my very weak points) any advice or tips, or predictions if i can do it? thanks guys

thelawschoolproject

Re: 160 by october?

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:55 pm

I think you might want to change the way you're studying if you want a 160 by October. Try to figure out what it is exactly that you're struggling with and really focus on learning those skills. You'll want to be sure to drill a lot while taking PTs, but at the same time you don't want to burn yourself out.

Would you be willing to wait until December so that you can have some more time to study?

moose26

Postby moose26 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:48 pm

i would be willing to wait until December, I was wanting to take it in October to use ED to my advantage because my gpa brings me down (2.9). Would it be okay to take it in October, then retake if I am unsatisfied with my score? How much does ED help ones chance

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:48 pm

You really don't know at all if EDing is a good choice for you until you know exactly what your LSAT score is...and you don't want to sit for the test in October if you're not PTing at or (preferably) above your target score.
For these last couple weeks, if it were me, I would up the PTs to one every 2 or 3 days, with really intensive review of questions I missed and ones I was even questionable on. There's lots of suggestions from people on this forum (i.e. Dave Hall's thread, the October study group) that can guide you on how to do this. If all you really want is a 160, I think this should be doable if you really put in the effort. But it certainly isn't guaranteed. See how your PT's are coming along a couple days before the test, and you can decide whether or not you want to delay to December. Good luck!

P.S. Drill games! Easy points right there.

moose26

Postby moose26 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:21 am

thanks for the advice, i will take a test every other day and review what i got wrong. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed/nervous/anxious/and even unsure if your not prepared? I have been studying my ass off, but I am also taking 20 credit hours this quarter, so im not sure what is overwhelming me

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:01 am

moose26 wrote:i would be willing to wait until December, I was wanting to take it in October to use ED to my advantage because my gpa brings me down (2.9). Would it be okay to take it in October, then retake if I am unsatisfied with my score? How much does ED help ones chance

EA/ED is good for applicants with stellar numbers that have all the required application materials ready to submit at the beginning of/early in the cycle.

Law schools generally use it to cherry-pick from the top - I have everything prepared and ready for review before everyone else and my numbers are great! :) - applicants in order to lock them down.

When you apply EA/ED you are required to enter into binding contracts that typically dictate (check the rules of each of the schools you are considering applying to), if accepted, you will withdraw all other applications, not submit any additional applications and will matriculate to the LS that offers admission.

Not trying to be rude or anything so please don't take it that way, but the main advantage of applying EA/ED with a 2.9 GPA and mediocre LSAT score is that you will get rejections really fast and not have to ride the long emotional 'waiting for decisions' roller coaster.

Due to your GPA you need to achieve a high LSAT score in order to have a chance of getting accepted to a good ABA law school.

Bottom line: Get better at selecting credited answer choices on LSAT questions, the more raw points the better. That really is the main thing you should be concentrating on right now since you have control over it. More raw points! High LSAT score! Image

Put all of the stuff that you don't have control over out of your mind as best as you can and stop basing important decisions on flawed methods of reasoning that include asking strangers on the internet to predict your future.

If you are not ready/in a good score zone in the days leading up to the October test you can do the chicken-exit/withdraw your registration thing up until midnight the day before the test so that nothing shows up about it in your CAS report.

Take the test when you are ready to do your best and also have honest timed practice test results that demonstrate a likely test day scoring range that is compatible with your goals/plans. On test day some people do achieve scores significantly higher than their recent practice test scores/average. However, that is the exception to how it occurs with most test takers.

totaltest.milan

Postby totaltest.milan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:09 pm

As some of the other posters have pointed out, find what it is that you're doing most poorly on and try to improve that. Doing PTs is important but at this point you'll probably improve the most by concentrating more on your weak areas. What you should concretely do depends on what you're getting wrong, games are most learnable so if that's where the problem is you need to see which game type and question type you're getting wrong and practice those. If you're doing poorly on arguments try this approach: after you take the next PT see which questions you got wrong and review them. The key thing is to go through each question type and not only see what the correct answer is, but why it's the correct answer, why the others are incorrect, where you messed up, and what you need to do to not mess up again. Then redo those questions. You'll remember the correct answer choice but that's not the point - the point is to see why it's correct and why the other choices are incorrect. Then if you get any of those wrong again simply repeat the process until you get all of the right. You can do this for reading comp as well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”