Very wide range in Prep Scores

Lopata92

Very wide range in Prep Scores

Postby Lopata92 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Exam is in 2 weeks, and my scores range from a 147 to a 171. One day I can be in mid 160s and the next I end up doing terrible and vice versa. I've been taking them at 9 am just like the real exam would be. Any suggestions on what I could do to prevent such a wide range in scores, or any mistakes I could be making causing such a wide gap?

thelawschoolproject

Re: Very wide range in Prep Scores

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Last edited by thelawschoolproject on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lopata92

Postby Lopata92 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:38 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Holy Jesus.

I have a gap too but it's around 161-171. I can't imagine going from 170 to a 147. Maybe you need to take some time off? You might be burning yourself out. Otherwise, I'd say figure out what the pattern is to the ones you're missing and do drill sets on those types of questions.

Exam is October 1st. Like whenever I go back, I understand exactly what I am getting wrong on the CRs and LRs. Some of the games take a little longer, but for me a lot of the mistakes I make come down to those A or B situations because I've eliminated C D and E. As far as LG the only problems I have are the grouping questions, which happen to be one of the most common ones.

nmare

Postby nmare » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:57 pm

--ImageRemoved--

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Lopata92 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:Holy Jesus.

I have a gap too but it's around 161-171. I can't imagine going from 170 to a 147. Maybe you need to take some time off? You might be burning yourself out. Otherwise, I'd say figure out what the pattern is to the ones you're missing and do drill sets on those types of questions.

Exam is October 1st. Like whenever I go back, I understand exactly what I am getting wrong on the CRs and LRs. Some of the games take a little longer, but for me a lot of the mistakes I make come down to those A or B situations because I've eliminated C D and E. As far as LG the only problems I have are the grouping questions, which happen to be one of the most common ones.

Drill grouping games until you get it down. It will be on the test.

Another problem I think you're having is guessing. You said that a lot of your mistakes are from A or B situations. Well, let's say you know 50% of your answers. The other 50% of your answers you got it down to 2 answers so you guess. Your variance in score will result because you might be getting most of the 50% correct (lucky) or getting most of them incorrect (unlucky), with your average somewhere in between.

You should work on knowing exactly why one answer is correct and the other one is not, instead of just guessing (which I assume you are doing from your post. I can't tell)

If that's not your problem, find out what is. What kind of questions are you getting wrong, which section gives your the most variance, etc.
I can't really tell from your post what your weaknesses are besides grouping games. Maybe if you can elaborate a little more?

Lopata92

Postby Lopata92 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:43 am

I know parallel games are a mojor weakness, as well as "what reasoning does this person use to argue his point" but in my head I can find how both answer can make sence in A and B situtations. Maybe I need to stop thinking about it as much and just go with my instincts instead of overthinking things.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Two choices might make sense, but only one is going to make the "most" sense. By drilling those question types you should be able to pick up the nuances that the LSAT is looking for.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”