Is this too much?

msuz

Is this too much?

Postby msuz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:36 pm

So I didn't have as much time as I wanted when I began studying, and when October 1st comes around it will only have been 2 months, so I feel like I have been "cramming" for the LSAT the whole time. Having said that, even though my accuracy/technique isn't top notch, I've moved on to taking timed practice tests to get comfortable.

I've been doing a timed PT in the morning, taking lunch/a couple of hours off, then reviewing a PT at night. The PT review at night is from the day before. So yes, I am doing a timed PT every day and reviewing it the next. If I can continue to do this without burning out, should I? Or is my best bet to slow down and let things sink in? I'm on vacation for two weeks, so I have all the time I need to study until October.

JamMasterJ

Re: Is this too much?

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:39 pm

msuz wrote:So I didn't have as much time as I wanted when I began studying, and when October 1st comes around it will only have been 2 months, so I feel like I have been "cramming" for the LSAT the whole time. Having said that, even though my accuracy/technique isn't top notch, I've moved on to taking timed practice tests to get comfortable.

I've been doing a timed PT in the morning, taking lunch/a couple of hours off, then reviewing a PT at night. The PT review at night is from the day before. So yes, I am doing a timed PT every day and reviewing it the next. If I can continue to do this without burning out, should I? Or is my best bet to slow down and let things sink in? I'm on vacation for two weeks, so I have all the time I need to study until October.

5 tests per week max. Do the newest remaining 8-10

msuz

Postby msuz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm doing PTs 52-61.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:54 pm

That's not too bad. Make sure you have a full day off and at least one other "light prep" day, or the burnout will destroy you. I know you don't have the luxury, but I'm tapering at this point

msuz

Postby msuz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:21 pm

Do not have the luxury. I would slow down if I thought I had a good grasp on the material, but its not all there yet.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 pm

If you don't have a good grasp of the material you should be gaining a good grasp of the material by studying question types and individual sections, not entire tests. I'd cut down to maybe 3 prep tests a week and spend the other four days working on specific skills.

msuz

Postby msuz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:If you don't have a good grasp of the material you should be gaining a good grasp of the material by studying question types and individual sections, not entire tests. I'd cut down to maybe 3 prep tests a week and spend the other four days working on specific skills.

Can you define "good?" I'm very confident that I can get 99% of the test correct untimed. Every once in awhile I'll see a LG that I have to spend 15 minutes on, but I can figure it out - It just comes down to learning how to quickly understand and diagram strange rules. Other than that, easy games take anywhere from 4-7 minutes for me, and I probably average about 9mins a game if you throw in the hard 15 minute ones.

For LR, most of the section is easy, I can finish the whole thing timed with 5-10 minutes to spare by skipping over 3-5 hard questions and questions with long stimuli/answer choices. After I go back to check my work, I usually have trouble understanding 1-2 questions max. My main problem is concentration, because sometimes I do not understand the stimulus the first time and have to re-read it. I figure the best way for this is to work on mental stamina by doing PTs.

For RC, I haven't really heard of any good drilling techniques, so I do a timed PT, and when I review them I re-do the whole section, only I read slower and take my time to answer the Qs I got wrong. On my last PT, I ran out of time on RC and missed a whole section :( but I do not, again, know of any better way to improve on my speed other than by the way I am doing it.

So I think Im going to stick with PTing as much as I can, unless you have a suggestion about what to drill on my off-days?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:08 pm

msuz wrote:Can you define "good?" I'm very confident that I can get 99% of the test correct untimed. Every once in awhile I'll see a LG that I have to spend 15 minutes on, but I can figure it out - It just comes down to learning how to quickly understand and diagram strange rules. Other than that, easy games take anywhere from 4-7 minutes for me, and I probably average about 9mins a game if you throw in the hard 15 minute ones.

Well then you are currently unable to finish games under normal circumstances. You need to drill games a couple of times a week to improve that speed. For many people things move a little more slowly on test day, for obvious reasons. You don't want to hear that five minute warning when you are just turning to the fourth game.

msuz wrote:For LR, most of the section is easy, I can finish the whole thing timed with 5-10 minutes to spare by skipping over 3-5 hard questions and questions with long stimuli/answer choices. After I go back to check my work, I usually have trouble understanding 1-2 questions max. My main problem is concentration, because sometimes I do not understand the stimulus the first time and have to re-read it. I figure the best way for this is to work on mental stamina by doing PTs.

PTs will help here, but you can also just do single LR sections and get the same result. Again, spend some time drilling nothing but the questions that give you trouble. If you miss a strengthening question, go back a little later and drill 20-30 of them. Same thing with other question types.

msuz wrote:For RC, I haven't really heard of any good drilling techniques, so I do a timed PT, and when I review them I re-do the whole section, only I read slower and take my time to answer the Qs I got wrong. On my last PT, I ran out of time on RC and missed a whole section but I do not, again, know of any better way to improve on my speed other than by the way I am doing it.

When you go through a practice test, you spend 2-3 hours and only get through 4 RC passages. If you want to improve RC, bust out 15 passages and just rip through them. To improve speed, try finishing a few of them in 5 minutes. Don't worry if you don't get them all right, but I bet you'll do better than you think. RC questions are the most susceptible IMO to second guessing.

msuz

Postby msuz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:20 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:PTs will help here, but you can also just do single LR sections and get the same result. Again, spend some time drilling nothing but the questions that give you trouble. If you miss a strengthening question, go back a little later and drill 20-30 of them. Same thing with other question types.

Is there any easy way to get a bunch of the same type of questions? Do I have to identify them in my books and cut them out, or what?

And your RC strategy sounds disgustingly boring, lol. But I guess I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the response

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:51 pm

msuz wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:PTs will help here, but you can also just do single LR sections and get the same result. Again, spend some time drilling nothing but the questions that give you trouble. If you miss a strengthening question, go back a little later and drill 20-30 of them. Same thing with other question types.

Is there any easy way to get a bunch of the same type of questions? Do I have to identify them in my books and cut them out, or what?

And your RC strategy sounds disgustingly boring, lol. But I guess I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the response

Most likely you will have to sort them out - Cambridge LSAT sells bundles organized by type. --LinkRemoved--

Games use the pithypike method to sort them out - I did and used tests 7-45 for their games sections.

HTH

msuz

Postby msuz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Ok so I'm going to update my studying... I havent drilled anything yet but Ive been doing PTs everyday and reviewing every night... consistently getting around -5 (+ or - 3 points) in LG and both LR sections, and around -10 (+ or - 3) in RC... but I am improving by 1-2 points per PT everyday... so I'm going to continue to do this until I burn out/stop improving, then take a day off and drill for awhile... Does anyone have any recommendations for my drilling? should I focus on all one type of LG game one day and mix that with some LR/RC, then do a different type of LG the next day? Or should I only drill one type of section per day?

Also, how many days should I drill for after I burn out from PTing? 3 days, 1 for each section, then back to timed PTs?

I'm trying to cram as much time into studying as I can before Oct 1st.

Thanks for the suggestions

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:13 pm

If you're not comfortably scoring in your target zone in the week before the exam, I'd strongly recommend being absent and sitting in December.

msuz

Postby msuz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:17 pm

albanach wrote:If you're not comfortably scoring in your target zone in the week before the exam, I'd strongly recommend being absent and sitting in December.

I appreciate the honesty, but I'm pretty busy and studying for this for 2 more months after October would be a huge drag on my family/work. I'm only trying to get a scholarship to one of my local schools, but if I can hit the high 160s by Oct 1st Ill think about bigger things.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:16 pm

msuz wrote:
albanach wrote:If you're not comfortably scoring in your target zone in the week before the exam, I'd strongly recommend being absent and sitting in December.

I appreciate the honesty, but I'm pretty busy and studying for this for 2 more months after October would be a huge drag on my family/work. I'm only trying to get a scholarship to one of my local schools, but if I can hit the high 160s by Oct 1st Ill think about bigger things.

If you are looking at a local school, a 170 may be a free ride. An extra two months now could be worth $30-50k, which over the term of your loan is actually worth up to $70k, or reducing repayments by $600/month. The delay will also have less of an impact at a local school.

You won't get many chances to earn $35k/month.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”