Take a Break or Push Harder?

Take a Break or Push Harder?

Postby cogitoergosum » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:31 pm

I hit the pt's hard this summer, about 30 tests, saw BIG improvement. Scored 180 twice, and a 5 pt. moving average of 175ish for the past few months.

I have laid off a lot the last few weeks with the start of the new semester. Took my first pt in a few weeks today and scored 164... not what I was hoping for. I missed 11 on the last section, RC, on which I usually miss 1 or 2. I was borderline bored for the second half of the test. I'm starting to feel like I'm over the LSAT, so to speak. Not a good place to be 2.5 weeks out from the test.

I'm considering two approaches now: 1) lay off between now and test day, take maybe 2 tests, not more, feel confident knowing that I'm capable of scoring highly, and hope that test day is a better day for me. Or 2) Put non-essential classwork to the side and push back hard, 3 pt's/week, reviewing answers etc.

I put a lot of effort into this over the summer and I want to finish right. I don't want to flake out when I'm so close, but I also don't want to make anything worse if I'm really in that burn out mode.

Anyone experience something like this? Recommendations?

Re: Take a Break or Push Harder?

Postby mattviphky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:50 pm

def option 2. The drop was just rust related, all you gotta do is get back into it, with 2 180s it looks like you have a good grasp of everything, but yeah, take a couple more pts before test day, don't over do it, but at least take one every couple days to keep up with everything. judging by a huge drop from your time off, the last thing you should do is take another 2 weeks off. keep studying, but don't kill yourself or anything, just get back into the mindset. Don't be over it, in 2 weeks you'll never have to worry about it again, just 2 damn weeks. and if you need to sacrifice school, a great lsat score is much more important than a fraction of a semester

Postby Titleist » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:10 pm

I would actually take a break. Take one or two test a week and review. Do nothing besides that and you should be fresh for test day. It is what I have been doing and it seems to work for me, I am scoring my best ever.

Assumption made: I could possibly be scoring a lot higher if I had more rigorous practice. I tend not to believe this though...

No matter what you will kill it on test day, good luck.

Postby snailio » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:18 pm

Option 2. Get that 175+ average back in your head.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:16 am

Yea, it seems you've already taken a break. Time to get back to studying.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”