Freaking Out...had a setback

rwhyAn

Freaking Out...had a setback

Postby rwhyAn » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Hey, everyone. I took the June '11 test, and I got a 158. I was averaging about 161, so I was a bit disappointed. I've been studying my butt off for the October test, and I had been seeing improvement, but I had a bit of a setback today. I took Prep test 50 and scored a 159. I had taken 7 prep tests since the June, and my average was slightly above 164, with my last three being 168, 164, and 167. I really got murdered on the RC this time, going -13 (I went -12 in June). The reading comp is by far and away giving me the most trouble; it's either feast or famine. I can go -3 one test and then -10 or greater the next. Honestly, if I was guaranteed 20 right on the next exam, I would take it and run. I've been averaging -1 on games, and -4 per section on logical reasoning. Does anyone have any insight on how I can consistently improve my RC? Timing seems to be the biggest issue I'm having. I'm really shooting for 165+. Thanks.

dietcoke0

Re: Freaking Out...had a setback

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Right strategy and mindset. I had a recent setback (-14 when I get around -6) on a particular brutal day. I literally almost stopped at the halfway mark (was the third section on a 5 section PT for me)

I finished the test however, got my 156 because I let it get to me, and am that motivated to whoop the next test's ass (this was yesterday, next test tomorrow)

Anyway, needless to say, I went over the books I had, and looked at all the ideas I could get, and on a few drills, was getting back down to -5, -4 on them. I know I am better, and one PT doesn't show my true ability.

I don't know what caused you to get a poorer mark, but you have to remind yourself, you are capable of getting that 180. you know all the rules, you know how to, it's the LSAC bastards putting up the roadblocks. Find out what you struggle with, and find a way for you to fix it.

Focus, stay positive, remember accuracy, and you got it. And a bottle of wine, if you haven't noticed, will always help you sleep :)

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:34 pm

And you obviously have games down. I average -0 on recent tests with about 5 minutes to spare. What I do is just shut my eyes and do breathing exercises. Relaxes the hell out of me, and helps recharge my mind for the next section.

UofO

Postby UofO » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm in the exact same position with RC.

I just wrote Pt 58, scored a 160 and went -13 on fucking RC.

It's so frustrating because when I was doing the older tests I'd score as high as -2/-3 or RC, with an average of -5; on the newer ones, however, I've been around -8 to -9, with -13 being the most I've ever missed.

I am strongly considering only doing 3 passages... I don't know.

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:53 pm

I am definitely having similar issues to you. I keep bombing RC (and LR actually...) due to timing issues, which is frustrating. I have given up all the methods I read in all these different places tonight and started doing them the same way I would cram for tests and I actually did a lot better. I was able to go through every question and never look back at the passage, so I was able to pick up some speed. Unfortunately, my method for cramming involved basically re-writing what I read in my own words, so that kind of takes a good 5-7 minutes right now. I am going to try this method for the next few days, see if I can speed it up, and pray that I am ready by October 1st.

Try figuring out which types of question in RC slow you down the most. For example, if the main point question takes you 3 minutes to answer, maybe try skipping it and moving forward. I would think it is better to skip 4 questions, and still have that say 12 minutes to answer the other 22-24 questions in the sections correctly.

Definitely frustrating...but at least you aren't alone! :?

Obelisk18

Postby Obelisk18 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:54 am

I started off really strongly in RC- 0-2- but my brain went defective at some point and I had some really bad sections (-7 and -9 were my two worst). I think, for me, a big issue was that RC seems like the section that is least forgiving of burnout. The daily studying was turning -0-2 into -2-4, and if I happened to get an RC section as the 5th section...well, all bets were off. I've brought myself back into alignment though recently. One thing helped- learning to mark the shift/POV/contrast words/phrases in the passage. Words/phrases like "therefore", "the only", "X expressed", "one important example", "however", "undeniably", "similarly". It's amazing how many of the answers to a RC passage congregate around those words. And it's amazing how making note of them, as you read, strengthens your sense of the passage just by slowing you down just a smidge and focusing your attention on the important bits. If you tend to have trouble finishing an RC section, you're probably not going to want to underline anything other than these words- it tends to get time consuming- but if you give this a try, you might find that answers come to you a little quicker, or you can more easily differentiate between tempting answers.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”