Skipping 1st Diagnostic in Course + Mixing Materials - y/n?

jw316

Skipping 1st Diagnostic in Course + Mixing Materials - y/n?

Postby jw316 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:47 pm

I really need to hit 170+ on the LSAT, but haven't really touched it yet. My class doesn't start until Oct. 2 with a diagnostic. I've been thinking that getting a low score (completely ignorant of the test at this point) could be quite disheartening and possibly set me back a little bit, so what's the general consensus on not taking the initial diagnostic that starts off the TestMasters course?

That said, I already have the PowerScore bibles and the Kaplan Mastery Practice book but they've been relatively untouched. Should I plan to incorporate these materials at all, and/or augment the course with additional practice tests? I've heard mixed things about using the bibles with a course because of mixing methods and such.

Thank you!

Tiago Splitter

Re: Skipping 1st Diagnostic in Course + Mixing Materials - y/n?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Take the diag. Go to every class thirty minutes early and ask your instructor questions if needed. Don't mix in the other stuff, as it won't be needed. TM provides you with every question released since 1991. Follow their methods, work your ass off (more time working outside of class than in it) and you'll do well.

jw316

Postby jw316 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Take the diag. Go to every class thirty minutes early and ask your instructor questions if needed. Don't mix in the other stuff, as it won't be needed. TM provides you with every question released since 1991. Follow their methods, work your ass off (more time working outside of class than in it) and you'll do well.

Thanks for the advice. Can you explain why I should take the diagnostic though? Just curious as to what the benefit is outside of a known benchmark upon which to build from.

If I somehow get like a 135 on the diag, it's really going to be a slap in the face and the range of improvement to 170, 175, etc. is going to look much steeper than what it would be if I were to wait and take my first diag after learning how to approach things...or do I have that twisted?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:47 pm

jw316 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Take the diag. Go to every class thirty minutes early and ask your instructor questions if needed. Don't mix in the other stuff, as it won't be needed. TM provides you with every question released since 1991. Follow their methods, work your ass off (more time working outside of class than in it) and you'll do well.

Thanks for the advice. Can you explain why I should take the diagnostic though? Just curious as to what the benefit is outside of a known benchmark upon which to build from.

If I somehow get like a 135 on the diag, it's really going to be a slap in the face and the range of improvement to 170, 175, etc. is going to look much steeper than what it would be if I were to wait and take my first diag after learning how to approach things...or do I have that twisted?

To the contrary, I think seeing your improvement from a cold diagnostic will motivate you. I doubt you will start at 135, but even if you do that quick jump up into the 150s will give you an idea of how effective studying and using the right methods can be

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:26 pm

I would do the diagnostic too. Gives you a better idea of your weaknesses and natural strengths...and tbh I'm guessing you need at least enough mental strength to overcome a bad diagnostic score as to do well in law school ;)

qbt1990

Postby qbt1990 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:15 pm

I also would recommend doing the diag... Testmasters breaks down each diag for you and tells you which questions you need the most improvement on. Plus, seeing a low score initially on the diag only makes you want to work harder.
Also I bought the powerscore bibles before taking testmasters but I wish I hadn't - TM definitely provided enough material, literally as someone said above, every question ever released since 1991.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Also, if you want extra, just drill the Qs you have done so far in the class several times. I mixed in some other materials (manhattan books, esp for LG) and I think just all the time I spent thinking about Qs helped (though I do think outside sources can help with game strategies if you are the type of person that likes to try a few and choose your favorite.)

jw316

Postby jw316 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Just wanted to pop back in to "say" thank you to each of you for chiming in, sincerely.

I've felt fairly on my own over the past 3 years when it has come to any of this law school stuff (not first generation to go to college, but it's complicated) and the answers I've received from people on TLS have been invaluable.

So seriously, thank you all VERY much!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”