LSAT-October or december? law school ranking>speciality?????

piousa

LSAT-October or december? law school ranking>speciality?????

Postby piousa » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:02 am

Hello,

So I am actually taking a TestMasters class and with the amount of homework given, practice tests to take and the time crunch, I am also freaking out. I haven't been scoring amazingly- highest was 160 and I want to go to a top 10 law school. :cry:

GPA isn't terrible but isn't amazing so an awesome LSAT score could def break it in. around 3.6..i am hoping for at least 170 and I have heard early admission is usually better.

Anyways, what do you guys suggest, I have decided to take one week off prior to the test and I am taking at least 3/4 practice tests a week and hoping that helps improve my score.

Also, if you guys do suggest to wait, would you suggest to take another course-this course was super helpful and it really made me focus unlike the other months where I could not study nearly as much.

Second part of the question---

I am also thinking of attending a law school that focuses on public interest-human rights. Northeastern is apparently the best in public interest by offering co-op's, no grade policy and other awesome aspects, and its easier to receive admission, but it's like 71 on the ranking. It has made substantial improvements in the past going from 90 to 80 and now 70.

So if i don't wait till December and take it now, I could possibly go to that one, which is not terrible. Not my ideal but definitely not the worst.

Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions.

soj

Re: LSAT-October or december? law school ranking>speciality?????

Postby soj » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:09 am

I don't know much about Northeastern's program, but I would not put any (not even a little) stock in the specialty rankings. They're useless. What kind of human rights PI do you want to do? Most likely you'll want to go to a top school since many PI jobs are competitive.

Good luck on the LSAT.

piousa

Postby piousa » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:18 am

I want to specialize in international human rights with a focus on women's rights. Northeastern is the number 1 in public interest for it.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:27 am

piousa wrote:I want to specialize in international human rights with a focus on women's rights.

From what I've heard, international human rights jobs are very rare and difficult to get. I don't want to discourage you from your goals, but you should know the tremendous odds you're facing.

piousa wrote:Northeastern is the number 1 in public interest for it.

soj wrote:I would not put any (not even a little) stock in the specialty rankings. They're useless.

You should probably be aiming higher than Northeastern.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:12 am

Specialty rankings are completely meaningless. Shoot for the best law school you can get into.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”