171, RC holding me back, please help!

ftw

171, RC holding me back, please help!

Postby ftw » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been studying for about 4 months now and doing PTs for about 2 months. I did about 40-45 of them so far.
I started out from about 163-164 and now I'm at about 171 average, sometimes hitting 174 or 175.

I finish LG with 0 or 1 mistakes, and my LR has improved over time - currently I make 3-5 mistakes for both LR combined.
My only concern is RC. There have been some times where i only got 2 mistakes from the entire section, but my results are very volatile - today for example I got 8 mistakes. I get more bad results than good results. I don't seem to be showing any improvement in RC after all this time and I feel like it's the only thing holding me back.

I assume if my RC was good, I would be at a consistent 175, which is what I'm aiming for, but because of RC I'm getting around 170-171.

Please help me out guys. The test is in 18 days and I don't know what to do. Practice doesn't help, and I don't feel confident about RC at all. Is there anything that you could recommend? Thanks

imjustjoking22

Re: 171, RC holding me back, please help!

Postby imjustjoking22 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:13 pm

I generally have good accuracy in RC and the only thing I do that others don't seem to do is make a lot of notes(I take notes like I'm reading the passage for class). Of course, you need to be good with your shorthand and semi-neat, but I often go -1 with 6-8 min per passage because I can just blast through Qs with a strategically marked passage and some good notes.

I'd also recommend reading some tough stuff outside of LSAT prep- I'm reading one book in a language I'm not fluent in and also Feynman's QED... So when I get to RC, I always am relieved that it is in my language and not about physics... Probably all in my head, but it helps :p

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Read The Economist and Scientific American. Not previous knowledge generally required but it will help you get used to reading dense topics without going cross-eyed.

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:50 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:I generally have good accuracy in RC and the only thing I do that others don't seem to do is make a lot of notes(I take notes like I'm reading the passage for class). Of course, you need to be good with your shorthand and semi-neat, but I often go -1 with 6-8 min per passage because I can just blast through Qs with a strategically marked passage and some good notes.

I'd also recommend reading some tough stuff outside of LSAT prep- I'm reading one book in a language I'm not fluent in and also Feynman's QED... So when I get to RC, I always am relieved that it is in my language and not about physics... Probably all in my head, but it helps :p

What are the key notations that you make and find to be most relevant to answering the questions?
Whats your style of notations also?
Thanks

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”