Freaking out over time.

tilapiahollandaise

Freaking out over time.

Postby tilapiahollandaise » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:24 pm

I've finished the LR bible and am about 1/5th of the way through the LG Bible. I've taken two practice tests. One untimed (first test ever), one timed. I test around the low- to mid- 160s. I've also been diagnosed with ADHD, so there's that.

I have pretty much unlimited free time right now as I'm only taking two easy classes this semester, so I have been studying ~4-6 hours/day. Even still, I have roughly 30 practice tests to finish plus the LG workbook as I finish the LG bible. I'm losing sleep over the worry that I won't have prepped enough by test day. There's only like, what, 17 days left? Assuming I can pull off 6 hours/day and that I finish the LG bible before this week is up I still will only have time for maybe 15 practice tests.

Is there anything that can reassure me by this point? My GPA is only like, 3.3 and I can't afford to go to an expensive law school, so pretty much everything comes down to this goddamned test.

RaleighStClair

Re: Freaking out over time.

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:41 pm

tilapiahollandaise wrote:My GPA is only like, 3.3 and I can't afford to go to an expensive law school, so pretty much everything comes down to this goddamned test.

I don't understand why you didn't start studying earlier.

If you're not consistently PTing consistently around your target score about 2 weeks from now, then you should probably postpone till December. But of course there's disadvantages to that.

tilapiahollandaise

Postby tilapiahollandaise » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:59 pm

...I can do that? Won't my application be too late if I postpone it until December?

If you must know my reason for starting late, I don't have one. At least, not a good one. I started in mid-August but only ramped up the pace until around the 1st of September. If in response to that you think "why didn't you start earlier than mid-August then", when I first took the SAT in high school I was so devastated by my score that I sincerely weighed the pros and cons of suicide for three weeks, so I was terrified of having that feeling of worthlessness come over me again.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Ok so now you figured out how much prep is needed. If you are already in the mid 160s you can easily get to 170+ with a couple of months worth of prep. Get your shit together and spend this semester crushing the LSAT prep. Then score huge in December. And if you are still in school, get As.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:16 pm

As for the December LSAT: If you are dead-set on applying this cycle, and you're not ready by Oct 1, then it's better to have a...say, 160-165 in December than a 155 in October. You can still apply to schools, granted - at a disadvantage for being slightly later than the rest of the pool, but better off than you would have been with very little prep and a mediocre October score. Of course this is all dependent on your target schools.

I don't want to be a jerk in any way. We all have our own problems - and I fully sympathize with your notions of self-guilt when it comes to academic and test-performance. But to get the best score you possibly can and at the same time maximize your chances at admission, I believe (and anyone can feel free to call me out on this) that it's important to give yourself at least 3 months before either the February or June administration before the cycle for which you're applying. I did this myself for the June LSAT, and chose to cancel and retake in October. I have been preparing for 6-7 months now, and I still don't feel like I've fully maximized my potential.

tilapiahollandaise

Postby tilapiahollandaise » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:37 pm

On my LSAT page, it says that the "date change deadline" was September 11th, 2011. Does that mean I will be unable to change it to December? Can I still change it for a fee? Or will I be forced to withdraw and re-register?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm

At this point you can't get a refund, but you can withdraw up until the day before the test and schools will never know. You can also take it in October and then see how you do (or cancel beforehand) but then schools will see the score or cancel.

qbt1990

Postby qbt1990 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 am

I am in the same boat :( some people say everything is fine if you take it in December and apply this cycle but that just feels so wrong to me, it's like the cardinal rule of law school admissions to apply early.
Good luck with everything, let's just see where we are in a couple weeks! :/

tilapiahollandaise

Postby tilapiahollandaise » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:30 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:At this point you can't get a refund, but you can withdraw up until the day before the test and schools will never know.

How much can I expect to pay for changing the date? At the LSAC site, they mention that a test date change is $68. Will I pay that much? Or will I have to pay $139 for registering again?

941law

Postby 941law » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:30 am

Call LSAC and speak with a rep. Take the December test and have all your app's finished and ready to go the second you get your scores back.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:32 am

tilapiahollandaise wrote:I've finished the LR bible and am about 1/5th of the way through the LG Bible. I've taken two practice tests. One untimed (first test ever), one timed. I test around the low- to mid- 160s. I've also been diagnosed with ADHD, so there's that.

I have pretty much unlimited free time right now as I'm only taking two easy classes this semester, so I have been studying ~4-6 hours/day. Even still, I have roughly 30 practice tests to finish plus the LG workbook as I finish the LG bible. I'm losing sleep over the worry that I won't have prepped enough by test day. There's only like, what, 17 days left? Assuming I can pull off 6 hours/day and that I finish the LG bible before this week is up I still will only have time for maybe 15 practice tests.

Is there anything that can reassure me by this point? My GPA is only like, 3.3 and I can't afford to go to an expensive law school, so pretty much everything comes down to this goddamned test.

Smells like December, amigo.

piousa

Postby piousa » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:59 am

Hello,

So I am actually taking a TestMasters class and with the amount of homework given, practice tests to take and the time crunch, I am also freaking out. I haven't been scoring amazingly- highest was 160 and I want to go to a top 10 law school. GPA isn't terrible but isn't amazing so an awesome LSAT score could def break it :cry: in. around 3.6..i am hoping for at least 170 and I have heard early admission is usually better.

Anyways, what do you guys suggest, I have decided to take one week off prior to the test and I am taking at least 3/4 practice tests a week and hoping that helps improve my score.

Also, if you guys do suggest to wait, would you suggest to take another course-this course was super helpful and it really made me focus unlike the other months where I could nearly as much.

-This is side bar question,

I am also thinking of attending a law school that focuses on public interest-human rights. Northeastern is apparently the best in public interest by offering co-op's, no grade policy and other awesome aspects, and its easier to receive admission, but it's like 71 on the ranking. It has made substancial improvements in the past going from 90 to 80 and now 70.

So if i don't wait till December and take it now, I could possibly go to that one, which is not terrible. Not my ideal but not the worst.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:26 am

qbt1990 wrote:some people say everything is fine if you take it in December and apply this cycle but that just feels so wrong to me, it's like the cardinal rule of law school admissions to apply early.

No. The cardinal rule of law school admissions is to kill the LSAT. I'd much rather apply January 31st with an LSAT +1 over my target school's median than September 1st with an LSAT -1 under the median. Especially if my GPA was not stellar.

ss3825

Postby ss3825 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:15 pm

tilapiahollandaise wrote:I've finished the LR bible and am about 1/5th of the way through the LG Bible. I've taken two practice tests. One untimed (first test ever), one timed. I test around the low- to mid- 160s. I've also been diagnosed with ADHD, so there's that.

I am writing this because I have ADHD and going through a similar situation. Please do not think that I am a smart ass who knows what everyone is like, and going through.
If you have the same problems with ADHD as I do, then I think you might find what I wrote helpful.

I would suggest you to take the test on OCT and prepare for it LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. Think of it as it being vital that you take it on Oct.
Here are some reasons why:
1. If you take your first one in December and fail because of some reason, you will have to wait a whole cycle before applying again. That means you will waste a whole year unless you get a decent job.

2. Taking the test in Oct has its advantages with getting admissions compared to taking the test in Dec. You are more likely to get into a school if you apply early than apply late with similar numbers.

3. If you postpone it to December, you know you will procrastinate, waste 1.5 months and start studying again only around November. Think about all the times in the past when you procrastinated and were able to study for a test or write a paper only when it was absolutely crucial that you had to finish the paper that day, and how you got mad at yourself for procrastinating after that.
The Oct test provides the pressure/challenging scenario under which you thrive so well.

However, I would advise you not to take the PTs everyday. Taking PTs without reviewing will not increase your skills that much and so would not be the best use of your precious time.
Instead, try to improve skills in each question type in each section by taking it slowly.

To do that, I would recommend a more compact version of the Pithypike study guide.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

Because you do not have much time, I would recommend that you drill the most difficult questions of each LR question type from Kaplan Mastery.
And drill each game only 2 times over. I would recommend that you take only 2 or 3 full timed PTs before the test. Use the rest of the time to master each question type instead.

Good luck. If you push yourself, I know you can do it. Your diagnostic score is really high. Most people don't get there even after months of preparation.
If after all this, you feel like you did not do well enough in the Oct test, then you can cancel it and take one in December. Once you have the basics down and are doing well enough, studying for the LSAT actually becomes interesting and you will probably not procrastinate as much.

tilapiahollandaise

Postby tilapiahollandaise » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:08 pm

Great to see another person with ADHD in law. It's never really talked about, but I'm sure it's there since there's a ton of overlap with the ENTP personality and people with ADHD.

caminante

Postby caminante » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:40 pm

I am of the uncommon opinion that doing more and more and more full-length PTs isn't really necessary. Do as many sections as you can, but just do a few full length PTs per week. This has been what has worked for me and kept me interested (yes I have adhd).

Once you are pretty familiar with the test and what you find easy/ difficult really focus on learning the test rather than practicing. Take notes while you read the bibles, do plenty of practice sections. Then, when you do your practice tests they will seem much easier than you remember them being.

This has been pretty much my experience. I breezed through the LR Bible at first and then it showed on my practice tests. I am going back through and taking notes and have improved immensely.

I also say go for the October test, but make your goals more reasonable. You can't get through 30 PTs. Not even close. Try to do about 6? Really study, do LG sections as often as you possibly can.

And yes, you can always retake in December.

tilapiahollandaise

Postby tilapiahollandaise » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:20 pm

After sleeping on it, I'm going to postpone it to December. (Which is expensive as hell, by the way. :()

I contemplated what several of you said about procrastination. I know how my brain works by this point, and I have two primary considerations:

1. The disincentive to focus caused by an extra two months of time

2. The disincentive to focus caused by having the LSAT equivalent of an extra life.

And I think #2 is worse than #1, because there are enough schools taking prior bad scores into account to make retaking a dangerous move. Knowing that this is the one and only one chance you have to do well is a huge incentive to hit your prep books. I can't afford to risk losing money from feeling secure that I can retake, and by afford I literally mean "afford" -- my best case scenario is for the LSAT to make attending cheap, not to make attending a "top" school more likely.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”