Not Laws and the PowerScore LG bible.

tilapiahollandaise

Not Laws and the PowerScore LG bible.

Postby tilapiahollandaise » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm only about 80 (out of ~350) pages through the Bible right now, but I'm noticing that the PowerScore people in their answers diagram the crap out of everything. Every possible Not Law you could diagram is there.

I haven't missed a question on the drills I've taken so far. Yet when I took the last set of drills, my diagrams were extremely sparse compared to the author's diagrams. I only had maybe one or two Not Laws, while the author had diagrammed seemingly every possible inference.

This scares me to death. When I tried to diagram the Not Laws like the author did, I froze up and stared at the page for a good 20 minutes. Yet when it comes time to do the problems I don't seem to have trouble.

Diagramming Not Laws takes me forever to do, and I couldn't feasibly diagram every one on the test. My worry is that my lack of Not Law skill is going to hurt me later on. Am I supposed to be nailing every Not Law inference like the author is doing, or is my worry unnecessary?

iowalum

Re: Not Laws and the PowerScore LG bible.

Postby iowalum » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:18 pm

I felt the same way when I read the LG Bible. My diagrams were way less detailed, but I still got the problems right. I think you have to consider two things: 1) the LG Bible is not only playing to those who are naturally good at LG (which you may be), but those who have never seen a game before. Understand that some people need that kind of detail to get the method. 2) Some people got through the process of deduction on paper, and others do it in their head. I am definitely of the latter, and when I realized that it was ok that my diagrams weren't the same it made me a lot less nervous. I just make a lot of the connections in my head and it seems to work for me. The LG Bible worked wonders for me though, I am now going -0/-1 on my LG sections and working on improving my speed. Just figure out what works for you and become confident in that method.

tilapiahollandaise

Re: Not Laws and the PowerScore LG bible.

Postby tilapiahollandaise » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:26 pm

Thanks a bunch, man. :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”