is it just me or others also get mistaken by this rule Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DoctorLaw

Bronze

is it just me or others also get mistaken by this rule

Post by DoctorLaw » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 am

Ok so for example if there's a rule that states: "C must 4 chairs behind D"

in my head I am thinking: "C_ _ _ D" (considering C is "behind" D)

but the correct diagram to this is: "D _ _ _ C" (how does that show C is "Behind" D) or I'm going crazy.

PDaddy

Gold

Re: is it just me or others also get mistaken by this rule

Post by PDaddy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:28 am

Directionally speaking, where is the "front"? The rule simply means that "C" is farther away from the figurative front of the diagram than is "D", whichever direction it may be in. It seems very straightforward.

Strict ordering/hierarchy/sequencing games should often be constructed "vertically", especially when talking about front-to-back seating, hierarchies, grades, weight, salaries, etc. Try going top-to-bottom instead of east to west. That works better in a lot of situations. And scrap PowerScore's explanation of "Ordering"...it's dogshit. :roll:

Try constructing branches that connect the variables, but still do a supplemental diagram of the available spaces so that you can input the variables in order. Oftentimes, however, you will only need to do a tree.

You can answer all of ordering questions just by putting the tree together and placing in parentheses the numbers representing the highest and lowest (a range) possible spaces in which each individual variable can go. Do this for each variable before diving into the questions.

For examnple:

"B"
(1,2)

"D"
(1-6)
Last edited by PDaddy on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:29 am

DoctorLaw wrote:Ok so for example if there's a rule that states: "C must 4 chairs behind D"

but the correct diagram to this is: "D _ _ _ C" (how does that show C is "Behind" D) or I'm going crazy.
You are going a bit crazy. :o

If it is a pure sequencing game with, say, 7 people, the order can be 1-7 or 7-1. As long as you keep the order straight in your mind it doesn't matter. It's like looking at a column of students in a classroom from the left side or the right side.

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:34 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
DoctorLaw wrote:Ok so for example if there's a rule that states: "C must 4 chairs behind D"

You are going a bit crazy. :o

If it is a pure sequencing game with, say, 7 people, the order can be 1-7 or 7-1. As long as you keep the order straight in your mind it doesn't matter. It's like looking at a column of students in a classroom from the left side or the right side.
the question was from a linear game and yes, I am going a bit crazy because if it says C is behind D then (C___D) that is how I think of it.

I guess next time I will just follow when it says 'before or behind' it is something to the left and if its 'after or front of' it will be right of.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:34 am

It's always the same in sequential games.
first to last = left to right.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:41 am

LOL, I think I got it.. smh i feel dumb already

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:41 am

tyro wrote:

It's always the same in sequential games. first to last = left to right.

This isn't true. Like many test takers, I have found that sequencing games often made better sense when I diagrammed them vertically...there's an inherent sense of front to back, heaviest to lightest, oldest to youngest, that you invoke automatically, thus obviating the need to remember your starting point. Rarely, if ever, do I construct an ordering/hierarchy/sequencing game left to right, and I never miss a question. Follow my advice above and try making a tree.

If it's a linear game, it's more complicated than strict sequencing, so you can do whatever, but for "strict sequencing" the tree works best, and everyone I have taught to use the system says they like it better.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:01 pm

PDaddy wrote:
tyro wrote:

It's always the same in sequential games. first to last = left to right.

This isn't true. Like many test takers, I have found that sequencing games often made better sense when I diagrammed them vertically...there's an inherent sense of front to back, heaviest to lightest, oldest to youngest, that you invoke automatically, thus obviating the need to remember your starting point. Rarely, if ever, do I construct an ordering/hierarchy/sequencing game left to right, and I never miss a question. Follow my advice above and try making a tree.

If it's a linear game, it's more complicated than strict sequencing, so you can do whatever, but for "strict sequencing" the tree works best, and everyone I have taught to use the system says they like it better.
I've honestly found the exact opposite - there are a few games that people can follow better if you do it vertically, but most students prefer horizontal setups. Of course, that's also my personal bias, so it's very possible that we're teaching our students to prefer the system that we, ourselves, prefer.

Ocean64

Bronze

Post by Ocean64 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:39 pm

before you start working on any sequencing game, decide which direction the front is and which direction the back is (or first and last), like so:

<==front back==>
or
<==first last==>

and stay consistent while applying the rules in how the variables relate to each other. often it would be easier to look at the first 2 questions (aka orientation questions) to see which direction LSAC perfered to state their answers in (which direction is ahead vs. behind), and then you can put down the direction before you start writing down the rules so you can stay consistent.

in worst case scenario, if you decide to go in the opposite direction LSAC decided to state their answers in, you can always read the answer choices from right to left in the list. i dont recommend this, because it involves extra work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 pm

PDaddy wrote: Rarely, if ever, do I construct an ordering/hierarchy/sequencing game left to right, and I never miss a question.
:shock:
wut?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:16 pm

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Interestingly, some prep companies say that even for sequential games that would appear better-organized vertically, such as the layers of cake game, it's still better to set them up horizontally because each answer choice must list the order horizontally.

I personally use a vertical diagram in situations such as the layers of cake game or the ball in a box (J 11) game.

But yeah I do agree overall that people should use what works best for them. It's just surprising to hear the vertical diagram preference for all of these games.

This is because the assumption and norm is the horizontal diagram for both relative ordering (the "tree") and numbered ordering.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”