what to make of low PT score with less than a month to go

richie222

what to make of low PT score with less than a month to go

Postby richie222 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:55 pm

I am a bit confused about what to think of my PT score from today, which was PT 55. After scoring a 166, 166, and then a 173 ( which is the first time i've ever broken the 170 mark) on the last 3 practice tests, I felt as though I was making some serious progress, especially because I scored perfect on one LR section and the LG section of the 173. I was very confident sitting down taking the test today, although I do feel I was not as focused as I could have been. even after I took the test, I felt I had gotten around a 166 again. To my surprise, I scored a terrible 160. I know its not due to burnout because it was 3 days between this and the last PT. I didn't do anything remarkably different, so I really don't understand my poor performance. FWIW, all these practice tests are repeats for me from preparing for the June LSAT on which I scored a 164.

My question is firstly, what should I even make of this drop in score? what steps should I take to recover from this, and what can I do to make sure I do not drop on test day?

Right now I am planning on reviewing all day today and tomorrow, and then taking PT 56 on monday.

richie222

Re: what to make of low PT score with less than a month to go

Postby richie222 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Anybody?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:06 pm

May be unable to explain this one drop without taking subsequent PTs. If you take two more, and they are back in the 165-173, range, don't worry too much. However, if you take two more and continue with the drop, then carefully and thoroughly go through the answers and try to understand why you got each question wrong.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Sucks when that happens. What's the breakdown?

Don't get too discouraged by a single low score or too excited by a single high score. The key is to isolate patterns in your mistakes and think about how to prevent them. Review thoroughly and put this behind you.

richie222

Postby richie222 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:15 pm

Breakdown is rc-9 lr -5 and -4 lg -4. It seems like rc is consistently my worst section, but when I bomb it I really bomb it

gloriouscause

Postby gloriouscause » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Don't fret, I got my worst score two days before the actual test, but got my best score on the test itself.

ktsai4

Postby ktsai4 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Man i was about to start a thread about pt55! I took it this morning under strict time conditions and I got destroyed. My last couple of pt's have also been between 167-171 and I was starting to feel pretty confident, then maxine hong kingston had to show up and bash my dreams lol.

HOPEFULLY this is an outlier and just in general a more difficult test...i also missed 9 on RC, 4 of which were from that kingston passage. haha all i've been told is to cross my fingers that these kinds of passages/games don't appear on the October test because they ARE more or less rare.

keep your head up! 3 weeks to go!

Lexleo

Postby Lexleo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:19 pm

I wouldn't let this get to you my friend. It is not uncommon to have an atypically low score at some point; and I wholeheartedly doubt that yours was due to something like a decrease in your skill level. There are always factors (e.g. what you ate or didn't eat, how much you have been sleeping, important or stressful things going on in your life, etc.) that can cause an uncharacteristic drop in score.

Stay strong in your prep (your track record looks great, and as though it is steadily improving) and try to control for any obvious things that might impede success.

You've got this.

richie222

Postby richie222 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks for the encouragement

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”