How much PTing necessary pre-Oct LSAT?

imjustjoking22
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:46 am

How much PTing necessary pre-Oct LSAT?

Postby imjustjoking22 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:25 pm

I'm finishing up a BP class (full-length), I've taken 5 full length, timed tests as of now: 161 diagnostic, 171, 168 (same score as 171, -10), 172 (-8), 174 (-6). I have maybe 8 left to take with in-class tests and ones I have in my workbooks. Should I add in more from the earlier PTs (knowing I will have seen the questions before, which may affect my scores)? Or should I buy the SuperPrep books and add those tests in to my routine? I'm concerned because while I spend some time daily on LSAT prep, it's not anywhere close to the 6-8 hrs/daily that a lot of you guys seem to be studying...

I'm planning to add in more LG drilling (because I find it fun and figure it won't burn me out as much), but should I aim for a PT every other day? I'm nervous about burning myself out, since I seem to have a slight upward trend at the moment (and would love to keep that going!), but of course I don't want to do too little in terms of prep.

eta: all of the PTs I've taken have been early 2000s and later (although the class material is supposed to include all of the older Qs as well).

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: How much PTing necessary pre-Oct LSAT?

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:51 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:I'm finishing up a BP class (full-length), I've taken 5 full length, timed tests as of now: 161 diagnostic, 171, 168 (same score as 171, -10), 172 (-8), 174 (-6). I have maybe 8 left to take with in-class tests and ones I have in my workbooks. Should I add in more from the earlier PTs (knowing I will have seen the questions before, which may affect my scores)? Or should I buy the SuperPrep books and add those tests in to my routine? I'm concerned because while I spend some time daily on LSAT prep, it's not anywhere close to the 6-8 hrs/daily that a lot of you guys seem to be studying...

I'm planning to add in more LG drilling (because I find it fun and figure it won't burn me out as much), but should I aim for a PT every other day? I'm nervous about burning myself out, since I seem to have a slight upward trend at the moment (and would love to keep that going!), but of course I don't want to do too little in terms of prep.

eta: all of the PTs I've taken have been early 2000s and later (although the class material is supposed to include all of the older Qs as well).


I'd go with three PT's a week. If one of your sections is much worse than the others, you might benefit more from section drills one day a week than another full PT.

Make sure you're doing full length (five-section) PT's- they're important to build up endurance. PT's in general are important to really get pacing ingrained so you can do it well even when you're nervous.

imjustjoking22
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:46 am

Re: How much PTing necessary pre-Oct LSAT?

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to aim for one every other day but not go below the 3/week.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: How much PTing necessary pre-Oct LSAT?

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:12 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:Thanks for the advice! I'm going to aim for one every other day but not go below the 3/week.


Good luck :D

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: How much PTing necessary pre-Oct LSAT?

Postby albanach » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:17 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:I'm planning to add in more LG drilling (because I find it fun and figure it won't burn me out as much), but should I aim for a PT every other day? I'm nervous about burning myself out, since I seem to have a slight upward trend at the moment (and would love to keep that going!), but of course I don't want to do too little in terms of prep.


Are you consistently getting -0 in LG? If not, I'd start repeating games. Carry printouts of games, especially ones you did hard. Whenever you have a free eight minutes and a pencil to hand, fire through the game in your pocket.

You can do a ton of games this way, and really improve your inference spotting. I wouldn't do it from fresh games - leave those for your full PTs. Mix up the ones you found hard and repeat them like your life depends on it. LG -0 on game day is a big step towards ensuring that 170+

imjustjoking22
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:46 am

Re: How much PTing necessary pre-Oct LSAT?

Postby imjustjoking22 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:41 pm

albanach wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:I'm planning to add in more LG drilling (because I find it fun and figure it won't burn me out as much), but should I aim for a PT every other day? I'm nervous about burning myself out, since I seem to have a slight upward trend at the moment (and would love to keep that going!), but of course I don't want to do too little in terms of prep.


Are you consistently getting -0 in LG? If not, I'd start repeating games. Carry printouts of games, especially ones you did hard. Whenever you have a free eight minutes and a pencil to hand, fire through the game in your pocket.

You can do a ton of games this way, and really improve your inference spotting. I wouldn't do it from fresh games - leave those for your full PTs. Mix up the ones you found hard and repeat them like your life depends on it. LG -0 on game day is a big step towards ensuring that 170+


I just got all of the games organized by type and I'm gonna drill like you suggested (need to get them printed out, until then I've been doing them off of my computer. Based on my scores in the other sections I think I have a decent chance of 173+ on game day with -0 in LG, so I'm definitely motivated to eliminate those mistakes.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: How much PTing necessary pre-Oct LSAT?

Postby albanach » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:31 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:I just got all of the games organized by type and I'm gonna drill like you suggested (need to get them printed out, until then I've been doing them off of my computer. Based on my scores in the other sections I think I have a decent chance of 173+ on game day with -0 in LG, so I'm definitely motivated to eliminate those mistakes.


Yeah, it's essential that you print them out so you get used to working in the allotted space.

Good luck!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: batlaw, bearedman8, blackmamba8, cianchetta0, dontsaywhatyoumean, DumbHollywoodActor, neptunian and 11 guests