Most Strongly Support-Complex Stimulus

chia99

Most Strongly Support-Complex Stimulus

Postby chia99 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:59 pm

So I am going thru a problem set with the most difficult most strongly support questions. I am able to get the majority of them right but I find myself spending too much time on them! The topics of the stimuli are pretty consistent: science, poetry, various other humanities but the language used in the stimulus and answer choices definitely is causing me to slow down on these questions. I know more practice will help increase my speed but does anyone have some advice on how to best approach the stimuli/answer choices in these questions?

Thank you.

FAJISTE

Re: Most Strongly Support-Complex Stimulus

Postby FAJISTE » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Everything MUST match from the stimulus to the answer choices. If the answer choices display something that CANNOT BE PROVEN from the stimulus, then it is WRONG. You must understand this. It will make it much easier when you look at the answers. Anything out of scope = wrong. Cross it out. It is usually very easy to narrow these answers down; once you do that, carefully examine them to find which one is correct.

kaiser

Re: Most Strongly Support-Complex Stimulus

Postby kaiser » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:57 pm

An alteration in mindset can do wonders to answering this type of question:

1. Remember that there is ONLY ONE right answer. One answer is right, and the other 4 are COMPLETELY wrong. It might be wrong because of one tiny little word, but that in itself makes the entire answer choice completely wrong. Its an all or nothing sort of deal. Thus, the language "most strongly supports" is in itself a trick. One answer is supported. The other four are not. The wording of that question is meant to trick you into thinking that there are good answers, but others that are better. That isn't the approach you want to take. Again, one right answer, and four entirely wrong ones.

2. When you get down to 2 answer choices, DO NOT look for the right answer. The right answer on the LSAT is only correct because you cannot prove it wrong. By implication, that means that any incorrect answer can be proven wrong for a specific and definable reason. If you fell into the mindset of thinking that there are good answers and better answers, you are on the wrong track, because you won't be trying to spot errors, but instead trying to find the spotless answer choice. Keeping in mind that, of 2 choices, one MUST be completely, entirely, 100% wrong, you should search out the error and state to yourself why it isn't supported by the stimulus. Once you can eliminate the choice that isn't supported, you will have the right one

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”