october lsat - should i take it? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
adsssd

New

october lsat - should i take it?

Post by adsssd » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:02 pm

I am averaging between 1-6 wrong on RC, 6 wrong on each LR, and 14 wrong on LG. I still am unable to finish the Logic Games section. I want a 164. I have a 3.84 LSAC GPA and excellent softs. Should I take the October LSAT, can I be ready in time. I'd say I am currently scoring about a 161. I have am taking 7 classes so I'd prefer to get the LSAT over with.

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Re: october lsat - should i take it?

Post by Moomoo2u » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:05 pm

how long have you been studying for? How much of an improvement have you made on each section?

You have a great GPA and I think that the LSAT is simply a matter of learning the test. I personally would wait until you are consistently scoring numbers you want on practice tests before taking the real thing.

EDIT: also 14 wrong on LG is not very good. Have you taken a course or read any of the prep books? I did horribly on the LG when I first started, but once you figure out how to diagram them they become much quicker. If you could drop that -14 to around the same as your other sections you would be in the mid-high 160's.

adsssd

New

Post by adsssd » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:08 pm

I have been studying for 3 months, but only a month and a half for the LG. My first diagnostic was a 148.

I took a kaplan course which barely helped for the LG. I recently bought the PS Bible, but I still take a while to finish the games. I think they are similar skills to math and I was always a poor and slow math student.

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:14 pm

hmm tough call, I spent about 4 months and 2 tests total and went up about 20 points from my first diagnostic.

with 7 classes do you think youll have the time to improve on the LG?

I just saw that it was -6 on each LR section, in that case you should definitely not take the LSAT in October as I don't see you scoring well enough to hit 165.

looking at PT 56 a 165 was a raw score of 82

On PT 55 it's 85.

With your numbers you are scoring -32 at worst and -27 at best which is ~155-157.

Keep studying and focus heavily on the LG/LR (especially LR since it's 1/2 of the test).

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:15 pm

adsssd wrote:I still take a while to finish the games. I think they are similar skills to math and I was always a poor and slow math student.
This attitude won't help things any.

On days where you study RC and LR or do a prep test, still do at least five games. A couple times a week do nothing but games, maybe 15 or more in a day.

You crushed college for four years with that GPA. Don't waste all that work settling for mediocre on a section you can ace.

Oh and don't forget to continue crushing college. For law school admissions this means nothing other than keeping your GPA high. If taking 7 classes keeps you from LSAT studying and threatens to lower your GPA, drop some of them.

KapTeacherBobby

New

Post by KapTeacherBobby » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:31 pm

adsssd wrote:I have been studying for 3 months, but only a month and a half for the LG. My first diagnostic was a 148.

I took a kaplan course which barely helped for the LG. I recently bought the PS Bible, but I still take a while to finish the games. I think they are similar skills to math and I was always a poor and slow math student.

Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear that you're still struggling with LG. One way to get through logic games faster that often gets overlooked is doing the questions out of order.

For example, all your skecthes for "if" questions represent information that "could be true" in a game. You can use that info to select a correct answer in subsequent "which...could be true/could be false" questions or eliminate wrong answers in subsequent "which...must be true/must be false" questions.

Give it a shot or look at some opportunities where you could have done this in games that you're already familiar with!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”